User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Party music

MBTI
    ESTP

Default Party music

What music would you play at a party?
    It's my birthday this week-end, and I am throwing a mini-party, about 10 people and I don't know what to play.
    What music can you recommend?

MBTI
    infp

Well since I'm pretty darn selfish I would be playing music I liked. It's MY party and I can be a bitch if I want to.

Just play the music you like, I'm sure anyone who doesn't like it enough to be bothered by your choice will suggest some tracks or request to take over the Dj'ing.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Well, I don't know much about parties, but I do have theories on what kind of music might go over well at a party.

1. Queen - We Will Rock You

2. Styx - Music Time

3. Duran Duran - I don't want your love

4. Devo - Whip it

5. Huey Lewis - The Heart of Rock & Roll

At least, I'm sure they would have gone over well about 20 years ago. If you mix them in with newer tracks today, they might still work... don't know.

MBTI
    XNXP

Depends on:
    ( 1. ) Who is there/who you're expecting ( those can end up being two different things )
    ( 2. ) What mood you're trying to project/result you're pushing for - typically a "DJ" will gradually change the focus of this over time.

Re: #2 - In the beginning you might play stuff that is just pleasant background music, like Eno's "Discreet Music", which is actually intended to be "sonic wallpaper", so that people can hear themselves talk, as they "mingle" and arrive. Or as they "network". Etc. If you've got a pretty staid crowd, the "dance" part of it might be swing or retro or a mix of current mainstream. As the night goes on, you can gradually turn up the volume, and test out various intensities. So...even if you actually get the whole crowd dancing furiously instead of talking, you will want to pace the party ( unless it's an MDMA fueled rave ) and have some songs that allow for a little breathing room before turning up the heat again. Don't get me started on what to play for a more artsy crowd.

There are some songs that provide a feeling of wild abandonment, but aren't especially "dance" oriented, although one can still do basic gyrations to them. Then there are songs that are particularly suited to dancing, and may almost sound too repetitive. Almost.

Some people like "old school funk" for this, and some like modern house/tekno, or a mix of the two. There is usually samples of old school ( or stylistic borrowings anyway ) included in the house/tekno anyway.

Old school funk - YouTube - GOT TO GIVE IT UP - MARVIN GAYE
    Instrumental - "older school" - YouTube - Steppin´ In It - Herbie Hancock - Stevie Wonder- harmonica, Herbie Hancock - clavinet through Mutron etc.
    Rock - abandonment - YouTube - The Jesus And Mary Chain - Head On
    House/Tekno ( new school ) - Fatboy Slim at Brighton Beach
    YouTube - Fatboy Slim Gig At Brighton Beach 250000 People
    ( or Sasha and Digweed etc. )
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

yeah...i would probably just put my ipod on shuffle or put on xm radio...what are your options? do you have good music? can you play music from your computer? like from lastfm or pandora or something like that?
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INTP

[YOUTUBE="st1lH8zcIuQ"]Burning Down the House[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by me_plus_one View Post
    What music would you play at a party?
    It's my birthday this week-end, and I am throwing a mini-party, about 10 people and I don't know what to play.
    What music can you recommend?
    How old are you and your friends?

MBTI
    ESTP

Around 18...
    I'd like my friends to actually dance, usually at parties they just sit on a couch and do nothing.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

[youtube=-50fhqD3HtA].[/youtube]

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by me_plus_one View Post
    Around 18...
    I'd like my friends to actually dance, usually at parties they just sit on a couch and do nothing.
    A lot of "parties" end up like that, so that you could say they get altered into more of a "get-together".

It's funny how when certain people would "throw a party" there would normally be dancing and shouting etc. and at others there just wouldn't be, no matter how much music was played or what kind.

It wasn't even down to the people themselves, as some would invariably sit at one place, but be willing to dance at others.

You need a fairly big place with lots of center room if you're going to have much dancing going on, too; which is always another consideration.

( Sometimes the furniture is moved elsewhere, but that sounds suspiciously like "work" to me. )

A lot of people are shy, too, and so they wait for others to "get things started" because they don't want to be the first one on the dance floor.

Oftentimes it is the people who generally don't have a lot of ( thoughtful or otherwise ) things to say who kick the action off, as they may be very good looking, "connected", or otherwise influential types. Or it will be the exact opposite kind of people ( getting back to my remarks about the artsy crowd in an earlier post ) who affect a punk sensibility, and purposely dress "nerdy' etc. who will function as the initial "tinder" for the fire, so to speak.

It's always tough to figure out the timing. The party has to have some kind of "start time", especially if it's one that was planned. ( There are some places where everyone knows the parties are taken for granted to happen every weekend, regardless, and no "invitations" etc. are needed. ) Yet if it has a start time, there will be the people who like to arrive "late" as its considered "uncool" by some to be amongst the first ones there. If some of the tinder folk arrive before there is much of a crowd, they will assume that this party is "dead" ( or whatever kids are calling those now ) and move on elsewhere before it ever even got a chance. Yet if you say to people "Figure on showing up around 1" people will look at you like "PM or AM, dude ? "
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.