• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Party music

me_plus_one

MBTI Type
ESTP
What music would you play at a party?
It's my birthday this week-end, and I am throwing a mini-party, about 10 people and I don't know what to play.
What music can you recommend?

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Well since I'm pretty darn selfish I would be playing music I liked. It's MY party and I can be a bitch if I want to. :smile:

Just play the music you like, I'm sure anyone who doesn't like it enough to be bothered by your choice will suggest some tracks or request to take over the Dj'ing.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Well, I don't know much about parties, but I do have theories on what kind of music might go over well at a party.

1. Queen - We Will Rock You

2. Styx - Music Time

3. Duran Duran - I don't want your love

4. Devo - Whip it

5. Huey Lewis - The Heart of Rock & Roll

At least, I'm sure they would have gone over well about 20 years ago. If you mix them in with newer tracks today, they might still work... don't know.

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
Depends on:
( 1. ) Who is there/who you're expecting ( those can end up being two different things )
( 2. ) What mood you're trying to project/result you're pushing for - typically a "DJ" will gradually change the focus of this over time.

Re: #2 - In the beginning you might play stuff that is just pleasant background music, like Eno's "Discreet Music", which is actually intended to be "sonic wallpaper", so that people can hear themselves talk, as they "mingle" and arrive. Or as they "network". Etc. If you've got a pretty staid crowd, the "dance" part of it might be swing or retro or a mix of current mainstream. As the night goes on, you can gradually turn up the volume, and test out various intensities. So...even if you actually get the whole crowd dancing furiously instead of talking, you will want to pace the party ( unless it's an MDMA fueled rave ) and have some songs that allow for a little breathing room before turning up the heat again. Don't get me started on what to play for a more artsy crowd.

There are some songs that provide a feeling of wild abandonment, but aren't especially "dance" oriented, although one can still do basic gyrations to them. Then there are songs that are particularly suited to dancing, and may almost sound too repetitive. Almost.

Some people like "old school funk" for this, and some like modern house/tekno, or a mix of the two. There is usually samples of old school ( or stylistic borrowings anyway ) included in the house/tekno anyway.

Old school funk - YouTube - GOT TO GIVE IT UP - MARVIN GAYE
Instrumental - "older school" - YouTube - Steppin´ In It - Herbie Hancock - Stevie Wonder- harmonica, Herbie Hancock - clavinet through Mutron etc.
Rock - abandonment - YouTube - The Jesus And Mary Chain - Head On
House/Tekno ( new school ) - Fatboy Slim at Brighton Beach
YouTube - Fatboy Slim Gig At Brighton Beach 250000 People
( or Sasha and Digweed etc. )

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah...i would probably just put my ipod on shuffle or put on xm radio...what are your options? do you have good music? can you play music from your computer? like from lastfm or pandora or something like that?

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
What music would you play at a party?
It's my birthday this week-end, and I am throwing a mini-party, about 10 people and I don't know what to play.
What music can you recommend?

How old are you and your friends?

me_plus_one

MBTI Type
ESTP
Around 18...
I'd like my friends to actually dance, usually at parties they just sit on a couch and do nothing.

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
Around 18...
I'd like my friends to actually dance, usually at parties they just sit on a couch and do nothing.
A lot of "parties" end up like that, so that you could say they get altered into more of a "get-together".

It's funny how when certain people would "throw a party" there would normally be dancing and shouting etc. and at others there just wouldn't be, no matter how much music was played or what kind.

It wasn't even down to the people themselves, as some would invariably sit at one place, but be willing to dance at others.

You need a fairly big place with lots of center room if you're going to have much dancing going on, too; which is always another consideration.

( Sometimes the furniture is moved elsewhere, but that sounds suspiciously like "work" to me. :) )

A lot of people are shy, too, and so they wait for others to "get things started" because they don't want to be the first one on the dance floor.

Oftentimes it is the people who generally don't have a lot of ( thoughtful or otherwise ) things to say who kick the action off, as they may be very good looking, "connected", or otherwise influential types. Or it will be the exact opposite kind of people ( getting back to my remarks about the artsy crowd in an earlier post ) who affect a punk sensibility, and purposely dress "nerdy' etc. who will function as the initial "tinder" for the fire, so to speak.

It's always tough to figure out the timing. The party has to have some kind of "start time", especially if it's one that was planned. ( There are some places where everyone knows the parties are taken for granted to happen every weekend, regardless, and no "invitations" etc. are needed. ) Yet if it has a start time, there will be the people who like to arrive "late" as its considered "uncool" by some to be amongst the first ones there. If some of the tinder folk arrive before there is much of a crowd, they will assume that this party is "dead" ( or whatever kids are calling those now ) and move on elsewhere before it ever even got a chance. Yet if you say to people "Figure on showing up around 1" people will look at you like "PM or AM, dude ? "