• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Reality TV

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
Do you watch? What do you watch? Does it annoy the crap out of you? We have an ongoing 'war' in our home, I like to watch reality TV shows and HE doesn't. In fact, his comments are usually along the lines of "I don't understand why you'd watch such mindlessness. Morons. Idiots. You're smarter than that!"

He'll watch TAR (The Amazing Race) and I am pretty sure he likes it, but usually he likes it because there's One Team that's like him and a few other teams he can hate-on - and of course, there is travel to interesting destinations. I like to watch and wonder and to try to read people. Shows like Big Brother, Survivor, TAR in particular.

Anyone else either love or hate Reality TV? I'm curious if there's an aspect of type to this, or not.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The only reality shows I have watched habitually were:

1. Joe Schmo 1 & 2 (it was a joke within a joke -- someone who thought they were on a reality show, but everyone ELSE was an actor).

2. Part of the first season of Survivor -- because it was the first.

3. The last few seasons of The Apprentice, because I liked trying to "type" the contestants and figure out what they might do, how they would handle their tasks, and who would get themselves fired in the process. (But it's just been getting worse and worse the last year or two.)

4. My Big Fat Greek Fiance -- I would have watched more of it, here the bride and groom were both "pretending" to get married so they could split $1 million dollars, and everyone else thought the engagement was real. The bride was more conventional, a cute bubbly little blonde; but the groom was a big hairy mannerless loud lout. What the bride did not know is that the groom was an actor who was purposefully making himself as annoying as possible while still seeming authentic. UNfortunately, the last episode was emotionally devastating, and many feelings were hurt on all sides...

5. Black and White, where black and white families both spend time (in makeup) as the other race, to see how they are treated. Not bad; not as good as it should have been.

I have watched Top Chef occasionally, and Man vs Wild seems like a neat show.

Other than that, I find Reality TV banal, silly, and/or lazy... and just uninteresting. Sometimes it's also emotionally exploitive and uncomfortable to watch.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
1. Joe Schmo 1 & 2 (it was a joke within a joke -- someone who thought they were on a reality show, but everyone ELSE was an actor).

5. Black and White, where black and white families both spend time (in makeup) as the other race, to see how they are treated. Not bad; not as good as it should have been.

I'd never even heard of these until now. I thought I'd not heard of My Big Fat Greek Fiance either, then it all came back to me.

Top Chef I've seen a little. I'd forgotten about Hell's Kitchen as another show. Hubby will watch that, too - all because of Ramsey. I'm beginning to see that he'll watch things that he can connect with, which makes all the sense in the world, and be his typical dismissive self with the rest. Hmmmp.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just so we all know, Survivor was not considered a reality show, but a game show. :tongue:

I do not watch much TV, period. It's usually just garbage -- they call the television the "idiot box" for a reason.

Having said that, I encourage others to watch television. It's such an ingenious invention that is capable of creating an army of zombies! :D

Sahara

MBTI Type
INFP
I am watching Big Brother at the moment, don't ask me why I am, I hate it, yet I find myself oddly drawn in.

I am very ashamed of it, and put it down to the fact that my brother (esfp) is the one who put the thing on in the first place, so that I had no choice but to watch it.

Still, it's interesting seeing such a twisted bunch of people, and watching the different personality types (or what i think they are roughly) trying to interact with each other.

I find myself wishing I could strangle a few of the people on there, slowly.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
BB has become where I spend my time lately. :blush: And yes, the search for anything counts, bless.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I don't really watch it or like it particularly. I think it's rather ridiculous (mostly because it's not real at all, and yet they call it "Reality TV"), but I will watch something now and again. I think I like Hell's Kitchen sometimes...I've seen the Apprentice a few times but I got bored of it...I really liked Survivor in its early days. Now it's all just the same thing over and over again. I'm pretty sick and tired of this fascination with these people-games...I think the career shows are pretty harmless, but those bachelor and bachelorette shows really scare me.