User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default Artist's/Writer's Block

I don't know if there is a thread on this already or not. [My apologies if there is ].

I seem to have an issue with getting 'stuck' when it comes to my writing or drawing. They are both something I have enjoyed since I was a child and sometimes I get this incredible urge to draw something fantastic, or to grab one of my notebooks or open up MS Office and let my imagination put down the bits of story inside my head. The problem is, lately I've been having a hard time finding my muses [yes, I have two of them. One for art, one for writing. They rarely like to visit me simultaneously which is a problem for somebody trying to create a Japanese styled comic which requires both story and visuals ]. I think they have tried to fly the coop, so to speak. I know they are there, hanging on by a thread and I've been working to 'reel them in'.

When I get the urge to write, I can't pinpoint any idea. I try to go back to a work in progress and am immediately put off the project because it seems that isn't what it is I wanted to work on. Opening several at once to see which one jumps out at me hasn't worked either. I then become disinterested again...reading books used to help put me into a writing mood, though that hasn't been working too much, either. I'm about at my wits' end here...

As for drawing, I've got the urge to create something wonderful. I had a few attempts at it yesterday and the day before and nothing has worked out. It becomes rather discouraging as undaunted by my 'failed attempts' as I've tried to be. Music was playing, I was in a pretty good mood, and I checked out some other pictures in hopes to find inspiration. Alas... I gave up after four hours or so of trying.

The yearning is still here. Any suggestions? Advice? Or stories of frustration to share?
    Don't hate me because you're beautiful.
    4w5

http://www.mangabullet.com/visitme/ImaginAries.png

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

I just have a piece of advice, which you may and may not choose to listen to.
    If you want to write something good and emotional, you will probably need to be in some kind of depression. Love-induced depression always does it. Both because being in love with someone that doesn't want you back always makes people all poetic, and that there are tons of people out there that loves to read that kind of crap.

I can't write anything good right now, it seems. I'm neither depressed nor lonely. Maybe if I got locked up in jail or something? That would make me want to escape reality and conjure my own shit!

Wasn't that a weird "get rich" plan?

But seriously... I'd be able to do much good from the insides of a prison. There wouldn't be a lot of distractions all the time... Like having a job, a girlfriend, cooking, cleaning... Well, the only thing would be to try and avoid being someones girlfriend.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Story - you could be speaking right from my own mind. I was just telling Sis last night that I never feel more real or alive than when I'm writing (or drawing, though I find drawing to be a truly stressful birthing situation...). Writing is my passion. I've been experiencing a great deal of frustration with it though... I can create ambient scenes and people that breathe, but plot? Stringing that together is beyond difficult for me; I'm so people centered that I can't narrow the focus.

I wish I had the money to take a writing class so I can get past this.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by StoryOfMyLife View Post
    I don't know if there is a thread on this already or not. [My apologies if there is ].

I seem to have an issue with getting 'stuck' when it comes to my writing or drawing. They are both something I have enjoyed since I was a child and sometimes I get this incredible urge to draw something fantastic, or to grab one of my notebooks or open up MS Office and let my imagination put down the bits of story inside my head. The problem is, lately I've been having a hard time finding my muses [yes, I have two of them. One for art, one for writing. They rarely like to visit me simultaneously which is a problem for somebody trying to create a Japanese styled comic which requires both story and visuals ]. I think they have tried to fly the coop, so to speak. I know they are there, hanging on by a thread and I've been working to 'reel them in'.

When I get the urge to write, I can't pinpoint any idea. I try to go back to a work in progress and am immediately put off the project because it seems that isn't what it is I wanted to work on. Opening several at once to see which one jumps out at me hasn't worked either. I then become disinterested again...reading books used to help put me into a writing mood, though that hasn't been working too much, either. I'm about at my wits' end here...

As for drawing, I've got the urge to create something wonderful. I had a few attempts at it yesterday and the day before and nothing has worked out. It becomes rather discouraging as undaunted by my 'failed attempts' as I've tried to be. Music was playing, I was in a pretty good mood, and I checked out some other pictures in hopes to find inspiration. Alas... I gave up after four hours or so of trying.

The yearning is still here. Any suggestions? Advice? Or stories of frustration to share?
    Yeah, you've pretty much pinpointed my main problem in creating things for myself. I have the same exact issues. Sometimes, it just helps to start writing/drawing something--anything--regardless if it's good or not. It helps to get the process started, at least. Though most stuff I try to make for myself is never finished.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

MBTI
    enfp

ummm... not sure if it applies to drawing, art. but when i need inspiration for ideas, i think location and environment are huge.

i notice i get a lot more ideas when i am in the bay area, than down here. almost like a 3 to one ratio... maybe more... i'd imagine hawaii would be good too... for art?

trying to analyze it, i think the light airy vibe puts me into some connection with my surroundings, and everything starts to click, and then latent thoughts come out, and it starts to transform into analogies, parallels, insights... etc.

MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    I just have a piece of advice, which you may and may not choose to listen to.
    If you want to write something good and emotional, you will probably need to be in some kind of depression.

Actually, that seems to be when I draw strange things, rather than write it. Well, sometimes. When I write it turns out to be something like this:

Then Sometimes

..I don't feel like myself
    trapped in this empty shell
    coexisting beside a soul
    unfamiliar and not my own.

Taking in stride what life
    throws at me, this strife
    the problems, the heartache
    of what I lack, it's too late.

On shameful days I fold in
    upon myself, embraced by sin
    keeping vigil, these lying eyes
    just don't understand the compromise
    of sacrifice and unconditional love
    for my heart being held above
    someone better than what I offer
    from me, myself, and I, there's no profit.

Stifled tears that just don't fall
    though I ache, smiling through it all
    despite my pain, secretive; hidden;
    stored within, suffering unbidden.

Can't, won't, should'a, could'a
    would'a- familiararity but I
    don't skip a beat, I stand on
    these two feet, still pretending
    it's never ending, a vicious cycle
    with no light at the end of the
    tunnel, and reversal to my progress,
    wait- I digress, a slow regression,
    my passion and my poison I consume
    sealed fate, destiny, my doom.

:/ not very 'happy like' and it's a downer in my eyes. I don't like to write when I'm feeling depressed, but sometimes it does help me to just vent my emotions and thoughts.

When I'm pissed off or in a negative mood and am drawing, this happens:

Dark, isn't it? >.> And cynical, really. *lol*

I wish I had the money to take a writing class so I can get past this.
    I've entertained the thought of a writing class as well. I find, thinking about it, that I wrote the most fluidly when I was still in high school. I gained a lot of inspiration from the literature in my English class. My teachers were also great at motivating and encouraging me. While I don't actively seek praise for my work, it definitely did help to have that constant feedback. Not just saying that it is 'good', but when I had that constructive criticism pointing out where I'm strong and where I need some work. It can be applied not just to essays [which I tended to write in story form anyhow. My teachers loved that idea for some reason... ] but to almost any form of structured writing. I can do it well enough for others, but when it comes to my own work I find I'm too hard on myself and that alone will discourage me. A writing class would be wonderful. Can't afford it either, though.

Yeah, you've pretty much pinpointed my main problem in creating things for myself. I have the same exact issues. Sometimes, it just helps to start writing/drawing something--anything--regardless if it's good or not. It helps to get the process started, at least. Though most stuff I try to make for myself is never finished.
    I sympathize there. Mostly my written work lays about unfinished. Annoying, isn't it? *lol* I don't know if it's a fear of completing something or what-- for me, anyhow. I've always felt this elation when I've completed a story, but then it's followed up by a strange sadness. Like I miss working on it. I wonder sometimes if that puts me off of finishing what I have started. The most reasonable answer is that I've just got too many ideas to be able to finish all of them. I get so far on one before another thought comes to mind and I must get it down before it escapes me.

ummm... not sure if it applies to drawing, art. but when i need inspiration for ideas, i think location and environment are huge.
    I think it applies well here. I'm thinking of the cliché vision of artists painting on easels on some balcony overlooking a majestic city. Environment may have a LOT to do with it. Somewhere too enclosed or not well-lit enough could serve as a living metaphor for feeling too stifled-- physically, mentally, emotionally--- creatively. I have made a sort of connotation that where I currently live I do not feel as creative as I used to feel when I lived in a more positive situation. Though I tend to become distracted when attempting to draw outdoors on a nice day *lol* It does lend a nice, freeing sensation...a change of scenery. Perhaps that is what I need Though that alone is difficult at the moment. I have to somehow improve current conditions or improvise with what I've got.
    4w5

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I need to get sis and Tallulah in here - they're both great with poetry forms....

I find NFJ lit/art tends to have quite a bit of a dark cast to it, though never oppressive (at least not in my opinion). I'm full of shadows myself and none of them pose a threat. Friendly ghosts, you might call them.

That poor heart has taken a beating!! *pats it* *gets the hammer to pull out the nails* *band-aids*

I tend to draw when I've submarined, so my art work shows it, even when I don't mean for it too.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

walk away from it - allow it and you top breathe.
    don't come back unless you get a good urge.
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

^The more the merrier!

I tend to lean towards the darker styles of writing though it really depends on if I feel that way or not. However, I find it easier for my words to flow when there is a certain amount of angst or morbidity to the story I'm telling. Some kind of odd pleasure or something is derived from it all, I don't know. I do enjoy writing 'happy lighter' things, as well, though any of my poetry circles the dark side of the moon more often than not. I think that's why I stopped writing it so often. [That and I was writing about what I'd never experienced myself, so I thought I was a fraudulent poet *lol*].

The heart...I think I was aiming for irony. The title is 'Love' though it seems to show all of the negative aspects of the emotion. I've never actually been totally in love with somebody- don't think I've ever given myself the opportunity- so I suppose it could be a fraudulent picture as well *lol* But it was just how I felt at the time. *shrugs* so I went with it...

Maybe just talking about this sort of thing is making it easier to pull forth inspiration. My fingers are tingling in that artsy 'give me a pencil and paper now!' kind of way. I think there's actually an image trying to birth itself in my head. Hmm...
    4w5

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w3 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp

I've been stuck on my latest story. God knows what it's going to end up being if I stick with it. It's one of the activities that I do between classes on Wednesdays when I'm bored. I listen to my music at times and just try to go with the flow of the images in my head. Me thinks I need to go back and redo some of it. Add more detail and whatnot.

Perhaps writing out your frustrations in whatever form they manifest might help you out. To each their own, however I don't know that it could actually hurt.
    I have no idea who I am. All I can say is let's rock hard.