User Tag List

First 123 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Modern Nomad View Post
    ummm... not sure if it applies to drawing, art. but when i need inspiration for ideas, i think location and environment are huge.

i notice i get a lot more ideas when i am in the bay area, than down here. almost like a 3 to one ratio... maybe more... i'd imagine hawaii would be good too... for art?

trying to analyze it, i think the light airy vibe puts me into some connection with my surroundings, and everything starts to click, and then latent thoughts come out, and it starts to transform into analogies, parallels, insights... etc.
    Yeh, my brain switches on near the sea too. I think it is that we feel more calm and relaxed, there are less other things to notice and it is more silent. And when that happens our brain switches off the surroundings and onto thinking, and the flow of thoughts doesn't stop.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by noigmn View Post
    Yeh, my brain switches on near the sea too. I think it is that we feel more calm and relaxed, there are less other things to notice and it is more silent. And when that happens our brain switches off the surroundings and onto thinking, and the flow of thoughts doesn't stop.

I must thank you for this 'of the sea' talk. It actually gave me an idea for a picture. And I'm in the process of drawing it now.

Idea!
    Since this is a thread about having blocked creativity, maybe we can post works in progress here and get encouragement from others? Just a thought...

Does anybody ever have difficulties with angles or perspective on certain poses? I found this site which I love with every new picture I work on...

Hands for Drawing - Posemaniacs.com
    Don't hate me because you're beautiful.
    4w5

http://www.mangabullet.com/visitme/ImaginAries.png

Kickin' Ass since 1984 GargoylesLegacy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    esTp

Artist's/Writer's Block Artist's/Writer's Block
    Hm, unfortunately I have never been stuck before - well, not really at least - BUT I heard Panflute-Music is helping. IDK, you'd have to try. ^^
    Rule #1: Driver picks the music. Shotgun shuts his cakehole.

Again, Demons I get, but people are just crazy.

ESTP? o.O

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFP

Default Artist's/Writer's Block

I find I get stuck in a story when one of two things occur: 1) the character from whose POV I'm writing is in a place I don't want to go or 2) the emotional energy I've been pouring into the story is being taken up by a situation IRL.

Both these conditions have existed for the last month or so, but yesterday during a physical therapy session, which involves physical pain and a great deal of effort, I suddenly saw where the story was going and got motivated to write again. I think it was the distraction of the physical stuff that allowed the story to come flowing back in. So what am I doing here instead of working on the story? Well, I still have that little problem of not wanting to get inside the head of the character from whose POV I'm writing. Been there/done that and don't want to go back there at the moment.

BTW, I've never found writing classes particularly useful--I've taken several--but writers' workshops where I'm immersed in writing for a week at a time and away from the distractions of home can be a real boost. They're also a great place to network, not only with other writers but with editors and agents as well.
    It's a blessing...and a curse.

Originally Posted by Anja
    I don't have room for shame in my life.

INFJ, 4w5 sx

Quote Originally Posted by StoryOfMyLife View Post
    I must thank you for this 'of the sea' talk. It actually gave me an idea for a picture. And I'm in the process of drawing it now.
    Cool . Happy to help!
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Foruming is the only style of writing for which I never experience writer's block.

For everything else in my life, both creative and academic, I will go through experiences of block and flow.

My initial stance on this was you cannot force the flow, but, after taking a really incredible writing workshop I have come to realize that there are relaxation methods and ways to work *nonjudgmentally* during initially, meh, moods, do conjure up some pretty decent work.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

The 'idea' which dawned upon me with all of the 'by the sea' and 'Hawaii' talk *lol* [ignore the sketchiness of it all, I've yet to clean it up and color and make it pretty-like].

Foruming is the only style of writing for which I never experience writer's block.
    I think foruming and sometimes role-playing are the only times I don't have a lot of difficulty with the flow of writing. It's strange to me, but I guess there's not anything blocking my creativity-- or there is no need to be super-creative while foruming because all I'm doing is asking questions or answering somebody else...guess it doesn't require as much thought, depending on the subject. Role-play sometimes helped put me in a creative-writing mood, however, I tend to overdo it to the point where by the time I'm through, all of my creativity has gone to the RP rather than to a story.
    4w5

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

What is fishing girl doing with her right hand fingers? Put your own fingers like that and see how it feels. Oh, I get it, it's a gang symbol. She be gangsta.

Other than that it's an interesting little picture... kinda cartoonish.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

If you're still stuck, try the "no-reading" week. Essentially you avoid reading anything that written by somebody else.

I wrote up some junk on my experiences with it in my blog...
    In Response - The reset button: how to find your own inspirations

MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

What is fishing girl doing with her right hand fingers? Put your own fingers like that and see how it feels. Oh, I get it, it's a gang symbol. She be gangsta.

Other than that it's an interesting little picture... kinda cartoonish.

*embarrassingly...* 'Fishing girl' is actually a young bishounen boy [which means 'pretty boy' in Japanese terminology]

The fingers are awkward, I know. What you can't see is the bit of fishing line that he is looking up at, and the ends are supposed to be pinched between the fingers of both hands [my scanner didn't pick it up, I drew it too lightly ]. I always have issues drawing hand positions, even with references, though try to correct most of my mistakes before the final work is completed...

"Cartoonish" ...I prefer the term 'anime-ish'? lol [or if you like, cartoon works too...] but it's still an art form..
    4w5