• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Whistle While you Work

StoryOfMyLife

MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Music has an effect on people. It moves the soul and invigorates the mind. A lovely melody can open up the imagination, cause your working fingers to move faster, or soothe you during times of stress. Without music, the world would be a rather dull place to live. So I wonder...

...what sort of tunes do you listen to when you need to feel inspired? What lifts your spirits on a droll workday and helps keep you from going out of your mind? If you're an artist or writer, do any specific genres or musicians help keep you in 'the zone'? Do you listen to music before you fall asleep or during? I'm curious... :)

--------------------
While I'm at work, I prefer the classic rock or mix stations. They keep up enough of a variety of upbeat songs that I like to bob my head and hum or sing along to [quietly *lol* unless I'm in a strange mood]. Though I get a bit annoyed when the manager turns our station to the 'all 70's, all the time' disco station. I like ABBA and all, but....

If I'm at home, trying to grasp that motivation I need to get my creative juices flowing, I'll usually pop in a soundtrack of sorts. Whether it be an anime soundtrack [Cowboy BeBop or anything that Yoko Kanno has done is always super amazing] or Broadway [like RENT, Wicked, or Grease...]. Sometimes I like to rock it out and play my J-Rock station on Pandora. It helps to wake me up and I feel the rhythm as I'm drawing. Something I can sing along to works best when I'm wanting to be artistic. Music I don't sing along to much [such as something in a different language or which has no lyrics at all] helps me while I write- such as the Lord of the Rings soundtracks, or a mix CD I have made specifically for the story I am writing. It lends a reminder of the sort of moods I need to write for the characters, of what reminds me of them.

Your turn. :)

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I love music. I love it so much. Which is odd because I don't play an instrument, although I'm heavily interested in trying out an electric guitar and see how I do. I've got good finger dexterity and fast hands, so I think I'd do okay.

I listen to music at work all the time. Luckily I work at a computer, so I can put on Pandora.com [Simply amazing music site that has stations custom created for you, and is dynamic in the sense you can rate the songs up or down to influence the playlists.] At work, latching onto the music keeps me from drifting off and keeps the part of my mind that normally gets bored fast occupied and engaged. It also helps me tune out the people around me so I can focus.

With regards to music though, I never really listen to something in order to change my mood. It just doesn't work because I can't listen to it long enough for anything to happen. That being said, I'm pretty hammered down to melodic metal. Bands like Kalmah, Ensiferum, Wintersun, older CoB have some great folk themes and superb technical players of instruments, not to mention a very classical style of writing music. I don't like metal lyrics much. I'll also listen to classical music if it's speedy enough. Slower music slows my mind down and actually starts to put me to sleep.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't know if this counts, but I've been unconsciously humming Benny Goodman's "Body and Soul" for the last 5 years. Seriously. 5 years.

StoryOfMyLife

MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
I don't know if this counts, but I've been unconsciously humming Benny Goodman's "Body and Soul" for the last 5 years. Seriously. 5 years.

:shock: Wow that's a while. *lol* I suppose that it can count for something. It must be doing something for you if it's been in your thoughts for such a long time. :yes:

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:shock: Wow that's a while. *lol* I suppose that it can count for something. It must be doing something for you if it's been in your thoughts for such a long time. :yes:

I think it reminds me of a saner, safer time in my life. :( Big band music reminds me of my granddad (who was old enough to be my great grandfather). I loved that part of my life, though dark and difficult, because I felt more defensible. I didn't get the sword knocked out of my hand so much then.

Plus, I think Benny Goodman stuck it in my head on purpose!! :p :D It's so gosh-darned catchy! I hum his version of the St. Louis Blues as well.

I used to listen to Billy Idol and the Clash when I got into drawing zones. When I write, it's some spacey electronica, David Bowie, or 80s music.

StoryOfMyLife

MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
I think it reminds me of a saner, safer time in my life. :( Big band music reminds me of my granddad (who was old enough to be my great grandfather). I loved that part of my life, though dark and difficult, because I felt more defensible. I didn't get the sword knocked out of my hand so much then.

Plus, I think Benny Goodman stuck it in my head on purpose!! :p :D It's so gosh-darned catchy! I hum his version of the St. Louis Blues as well.

I used to listen to Billy Idol and the Clash when I got into drawing zones. When I write, it's some spacey electronica, David Bowie, or 80s music.

:yes: I can relate in some instances...certain songs bring me straight back to the past. They make me nostalgic, yet it is pleasant because I'm reminded of some pretty nice times. :)

David Bowie! I don't listen to a LOT of his stuff, but my absolute favorite has to be 'Golden Years'. I don't know why, but I love that song. Oh, and of course the one he sings in Labyrinth...what is it...the Magic Dance or something like that. *lol* 80's music was so...interesting. I still appreciate some of it, though I vaguely remember growing up to it [being born in '84 and all...]. Early 90's music makes me giddy, however. Well...some of it.

S

Sniffles

Yes I absolutely love music. As for what kind of music inspires me during the work day? Depends on what mood I'm in.

Usually Classical music will do the trick. That or liturgical chants - Gregorian, Ambrosian, Byzantine.

Certainly keeps me calm and relaxed in the face of any stressful situation.

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
Often I find I'll be humming a song throughout the day. Usually something a little mellow but catchy. If it's too complex I can't remember any of the lyrics or replicate anything similar to the song in my head. Stars and Metric are regulars.

Not a big fan of using iPods regularly, there is far too much noise on campus without the addition of music.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Stars, the Canadian band? I love their "Look Up".

GinKuusouka

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I listen to music for periods of time for when I sleep. I have some music meant for sleep relaxation and I also have a Zen cd (which I use more often). It seems to help soothe my mind into sleep-mode. But after a period of time of listening to it, it actually seems to keep me awake. After a time of not listening to it, it will put me back to sleep. Strange...

Anyway... There is a variety of music that I listen to, depending on my mood. Evanesence when I'm depressed, classical when I have a headache, Daft Punk when I'm feeling bouncy, etc.

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram

StoryOfMyLife

MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
I looked already. I wonder why all three volumes together together costs $99 when each one separate costs $20.

We better be careful or this is gonna end up as its own Animaniacs thread.

:blush: Yeah that is weird. Must have something to do with the packaging.

Er. Well then. Better get back on track now. :headphne: