FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Art = Self-Expression?

What do y'all think of this quote?

Quote Originally Posted by Art & Fear
    ...The current view equating art with "self-expression" reveals more a contemporary bias in our thinking than an underlying trait of the medium. Even the separation of art from craft is largely a post-Renaissance concept, and more recent still is the notion that art transcends what you do and represents what you are.

In the past few centuries, Western art has moved from the unsigned tableaus of orthodox religious scenes to one-person displays of personal cosmologies. "Artist" has gradually become a form of identity which (as every artist knows) often carries with it as many drawbacks as benefits.

Consider that if artist equals "self," then when (inevitably) you make flawed art, you are a flawed person, and when (worse yet!) you make no art, you are no person at all!
    Reactions?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I never looked at art as an expression of the self, but more as an expression of ideas and concepts.

In my art, I'm not trying to put personal feelings into the piece but merely expressing a notion in my mind that I thought was cool, funny, or whatnot...but that's an NT for you...

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I never looked at art as an expression of the self, but more as an expression of ideas and concepts.

In my art, I'm not trying to put personal feelings into the piece but merely expressing a notion in my mind that I thought was cool, funny, or whatnot...but that's an NT for you...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

IOW, it wasn't really an expression of "feeling" but an expression of "idea"?

(said another way, it's more impersonal -- an expression of concept -- rather than an expression of self.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

It's probably as much an expression of "self" as the artist wants it to be.

I'm sure some elements of an artist's "self" come out in the art no matter what, but that's just because of subtle changes based on viewpoints, experiences, etc. that may have a slight effect on the picture, but would not be any different between art and, say, picking a house to live in, picking a gift to give someone, or other such activities where people make some style choices.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

(said another way, it's more impersonal -- an expression of concept -- rather than an expression of self.)
    It's still subjective. There's no way to separate one's experience of reality or one's version of "objectivity" from oneself, therefore by extension all artwork expresses some part of the self.

Doesn't really matter though; it's a goofy quote. Especially the last line. :rolli:

MBTI
    INTP

The mind must be empty. The self must cease. Only then you can see the other.
    You cannot describe the other if you do not see it, can you?

But.. is the other the other?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yes, that's what I was getting at, because I don't really have feelings (besides anger).

I try to separate self from ideas, because I always figured the self was more about emotions.

MBTI
    intj

I don't think art has to be about meaningful self expression, and I get annoyed with those who insist it should be. I'm very commercial art friendly. I usually don't care if someone who sees my work later knows I did it. For me, it's more about problem solving and enjoying the creativity in finding ways to express ideas (even if they aren't my own).

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jezebel View Post
    I don't think art has to be about meaningful self expression, and I get annoyed with those who insist it should be. I'm very commercial art friendly. I usually don't care if someone who sees my work later knows I did it. For me, it's more about problem solving and enjoying the creativity in finding ways to express ideas (even if they aren't my own).
    I share your feeling. By the way, what's your type? (I'm just curious, PM me if you want.)

The way I see it, art means whatever you want it to mean. To me, people who ask me what something means want to have it spelled out for them, and therefore don't really understand art and are too lazy to think for themselves.