• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Personality Types and Music

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
strings. bass first. then the cello.

bach. brubeck. clash. costello.
dr. dog. my bloody valentine.
lou reed. jenny lewis. jets to brazil.
low. getz. gilberto. ramones. weezer.

ben weasel... rocks my world

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would describe my music taste as eclectic. I definately veer more towards underground versus mainstream but they is good in everything ...pretty much.
Some music i like

Classical
(not too keen on bandstand/brass or easy listening, i prefer the dramatic)

Reggae- the old school style not ragga

Rythm and blues-again old style not R&B as in the modern superficial crap (although there are exceptions)

Psychadelic-think the ORB, Floyd

Drum and Bass (very occaisionally)

Soul- Again the old school soul "These arms of mine" is an all time favourite

Blues- Love Bobby "Blue" Bland

Funk Preety much all types, including funky Hip Hop

Trip hop and Hip hop- not the woman bashing variety

Indie, Rock & occaisional metal

this list is getting too long

Much more, i tend to find music i like in pretty much every genre....

Have to add this

[YOUTUBE="K-FQL-tJ3ic"]One of my all time fav's[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For me it really depends on the headspace I'm in when I hear something new. The word eclectic isn't eclectic-enough to describe my tastes.

Nice! :) This!!! :nice:

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What peoples mean by "mainstream music"?

I love the Destiny's Child for example. Is it mainstream music?

KDude

Destiny's Child would be mainstream here, I guess. Are they popular in France?

Not sure if that even matters. I like Superbus. Apparently they're popular with like teenage girls in France or something. I like Shiina Ringo, who's popular in JP.. but both are bands I don't think many listen to much here. Is it all still mainstream, because they have a pop sound? :thinking:

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Destiny's Child would be mainstream here, I guess. Are they popular in France?

Yes of course! Destiny's Child have ruled the World is'nt it? I remember that in 2004, for their concert at Bercy, places were very expensive, between 40 and 80€. Still less expensive and in the less large place than for the Rolling Stones (at the Stade de France for 120-140€ the place), but still impressive.
Not sure if that even matters. I like Superbus. Apparently they're popular with like teenage girls in France or something.

Superbus are mainstream now, but they were'nt several years ago. They are more listened by teenage girls nowaday, but initially they were more listend by hyppies, teenagers pop-rock aficionados or something.

KDude

hah.. well i guess i was as cool as the teen pop rock afficianados in france then :D

Fan.of.Devin

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
I enjoy music for two separate yet not completely independent reasons.
Detail and ambiance.
Detail being the general texture and layout of the song, be it hypnotically simplistic or awe-inspiringly complicated. Ambiance being the emotional "color" of the song, if you will.
Obviously, one affects the other, to varying degrees.

I tend to listen to music based on how I feel at the moment, rarely if ever does music change my mood, other than making me vaguely annoyed if I hate it and am forced to listen to it.

I abhor talentless, uncreative music, though not necessarily mainstream music, as many of the bands I enjoy have had great commercial and critical success.
In the end, the modern "indie" movement annoys me just as much as the people who listen to terrible pop music... Nobody is impressed with your intellect based on the awesome "underground" bands you listen to, folks. -_-

Though there are styles and genres I hate, I don't think that musical preference works predictably as any sort of barometer of a person's intelligence or maturity. I consider rap/hip-hop to be largely stupid and immature music, yet I know many individuals far smarter and more mature than myself who listen to it almost exclusively.

Most of my favorite bands are metal bands, though I probably wouldn't qualify myself as a metalhead. I like weird, experimental, progressive music, music which leaves a lot to be analyzed, and to that end most of the bands I've found which fit the bill happen to be metal bands.

Favorites of late:
Devin Townsend, both his solo work (progressive metal, alternative, pop/jazz fusion) and his work with the band Strapping Young Lad (industrial/extreme metal)
Fear Factory (industrial metal, love their cold agressive sound mixed with the sci-fi lyrical concepts)
Gojira (this band fits various sub-genres of metal, even within a single album; their music also strikes me as be extremely XXFX orient, lyrically)
Korn (dark alternative metal, simplistic and derives most of it's power from raw emotion, really loved their earlier albums)
Meshuggah (insane progressive metal, indescribably complicated yet pattern based and logical, have to hear it to understand, this band blows my mind and I consider them to be the most important metal band in existence)
Tool (alternative metal, "trippy", very introspective, feels like kind of a neutral ground between F and T...)

Others worth a mention:
Porcupine Tree
Ministry (the album Twitch is classic industrial, everything else they've done sucks major wang, though)
Primus
Alice in Chains (loved Dirt)
Slayer
Deadsy
Sergei Rachmaninoff (don't listen to much classical, but, love this guy's work)
Dave Brubeck (listen to very little jazz, but the bebop compositions by Brubeck are always easy on my ear)

I would theorize that F's enjoy music which strikes a certain emotional chord in them, while T's like complex and detailed instrumentation or lyrics.
But, this mold rarely seems to work.
I have an ENTP friend who listens largely to atrocious 60's/70's pop music and acoustic blues, and most of the INFPs I've met like prog. metal a lot.

[/megapost]

KDude

I liked detailed instrumentation -if it has to have an emotional chord too :cool:

For instance, I've never liked "shredder" albums (Vai, Satriani, etc), but Jason Becker blows my mind. He's both.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtjOe5e9VFA].[/youtube]

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I really like pop music like The Beach Boys:wubbie:(especially their late 60s/early 70s work), but I also like complex experimental electronic music like Autechre and Oval.

Fear Factory (industrial metal, love their cold agressive sound mixed with the sci-fi lyrical concepts)

Oh yeah, I like Fear Factory too. :)

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Im not so much in to mainstream music, in my opinion its garbage for the most part (I mean no offense to those who like it), "shake it like a salt shaka", come on should the youth really be in to this shit? I actually heard a 5 year old kid singing those lyrics! And the girls of America have Brittany Spears as role model...sad.

I like more underground stuff...& instrumental music (lots of electronic stuff) where the music can change your mood. I like all kinds of stuff, just not mainstream american pop music.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
as an ENFP/INFP I can't stand most pop music (with exceptions). I like trance, rennaissance-esque music, opera (all types; baroque, bel canto, verismo, german romantic, italian romantic, you name it). i also like nightwish, evanescence, lady gaga (people can hate all they want but this bitch is crazy and I'm down), and any music that's epic. surprisingly, I love good rap like chamillionaire, ludacris or P Diddy.
PS: some of my extreme dislikes are: country (however I do like folk music like John Denver or Peter Paul and Mary), auto tune high bitched black dude vocals (for lack of a distinct genre), indy music, contemporary christian music (I am a christian, but contemporary christian music is SOO plain), rock, screamo, or any music that sounds pathetic and weak emotionally (perhaps this is an introverted feeling thing, but I have no respect for people who are weak mentally). I wouldn't say I "hate" any type of music tho, as long as it's real music that is communicating something honest

Idec Sdawkminn

MBTI Type
EPIC
I like fast music. If it's not fast, it had better have some good instrumentals and be passionate with a good tune. I like music with singing more than not. If I can make out the singer, I won't like anything with lyrics I don't like. If I can't make them out, the singer is just another instrument, albeit a main one. I like either aggressive or passionate singers. I also like songs to have a lot of changes and not be just the same sound the whole time. I don't really know my type, but it seems most likely INTP, INTJ, ISTP, or ISTJ.

Favorite bands (alphabetical since that's how Windows sorts them)

Dream Theater is my favorite. Then:

Adagio
After Forever
Air
Angra
Ayreon
Blind Guardian
Central ARC
Children of Bodom
Demons & Wizards
Disturbed
DragonForce
Evergrey
Finntroll
Flogging Molly
Into Eternity
Jamiroquai
Kamelot
Korn
Limp Bizkit
Linkin Park
Machinae Supremacy
Marilyn Manson
Mindless Self Indulgence
múm
Muse
Nightwish
Pain of Salvation
Powerman 5000
Rammstein
Rhapsody of Fire
Rob Zombie
Savatage
Slipknot
Sonata Arctica
Spheric Universe Experience
Spiral Architect
Stratovarius
Suspyre
Symphony X
System of a Down
Tenacious D
The Black Mages
The Mars Volta
Therion
They Might Be Giants
Tristania
Twelvestep
Van Helsing's Curse
Vanden Plas
Warmen
"Weird Al" Yankovic
Within Temptation
X JAPAN

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I think type might affect it somewhat, but it would only be visible if everyone consumed huge quantities of different music and we would then check for tendencies.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
I just like what I like. There is no real correlation between my songs. They don't all have the same genre, they're not from the same artists either. When you look in my MP3 player, you can find old rock songs, nineties' pop songs, obscure stuff, songs that I picked up from movies that no one else knows, nearly everything. And let's take a look at Alicia Keys, for example: I slightly dislike her total oeuvre, some of her songs I just can't stand at all and hurt my ears, but she made some amazing songs too. I turn off the radio or I hide my ears when I hear "You don't know my name", but when "No one" is on, I always turn the volume up. Same with most artists. There are very few artists whose total oeuvre I like, but when I listen to a channel where they only broadcast things from their genre, I dislike many songs I hear too.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
88 % enjoys reflective and complex music
0 % enjoys edgy and aggressive music
33 % enjoys fun and simple music
12 % enjoys energetic and upbeat music

I like classical music and jazz and celtic music and medieval music. I like to hear classical guitar music. I like show tunes. Also, I like atonal music and some of the more experimental symphonic music. Native American music is awesome, especially flutes. I also like opera. My favorite instruments are oboes, bassoons, clarinets, and flutes. Oh... and pianos, of course!
I am in three choral groups, so I love to sing. I'll definitely sing along with my favorite music.
Some of the musical groups that I like are Celtic Woman and Cherish the Ladies. Also I like Loreena McKennitt's music.
Some favorite composers: Chopin, Debussy, Ravel...
I don't listen to most rock or heavy metal music because it hurts my ears.

master-G

MBTI Type
eNtP
Enneagram
7w8
I think it only deals with how or what they listen for in music rather then what kind of music. Like an NT would listen for the technical side of the music while an NF would look for the emotional side.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think it only deals with how or what they listen for in music rather then what kind of music. Like an NT would listen for the technical side of the music while an NF would look for the emotional side.

I tend to give more attention to the emotional side and I am an NT. I dunno, I find it kind of boring to pay too much attention to technicalities. I primarily listen to music to bring out my repressed F side I guess.

ScottJames

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have no doubt that type is a strong influence on musical taste and the kind of music they create. SPs are much more likely to be into club music than SJs for example. SJs are much more likely to be into classical. If you ask an NF what their favorite song is it will usually be something that they feel is deeply meaningful. For a Ti primary it would be more likely to be something that's technically impressive.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I tend to give more attention to the emotional side and I am an NT. I dunno, I find it kind of boring to pay too much attention to technicalities. I primarily listen to music to bring out my repressed F side I guess.
Does anyone really just listen to the "technical" side of music? That sounds dreadfully dull. "Oh yes, I enjoy this song because of the 3/4 time signature and syncopation." :huh:

Music is all about the soul.

I have no doubt that type is a strong influence on musical taste and the kind of music they create. SPs are much more likely to be into club music than SJs for example. SJs are much more likely to be into classical. If you ask an NF what their favorite song is it will usually be something that they feel is deeply meaningful. For a Ti primary it would be more likely to be something that's technically impressive.
Well considering the majority of the world is SJ, I wouldn't say we are more prone to liking classical music...otherwise you'd see a lot more people listening to it.

As an SJ, I tend to really dislike classical music...especially because I had to play it for ~10 years on the piano.

Ironically, I tend to listen to music about love and I've never been in love with anyone before.