h.l. mencken

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I would describe my music taste as eclectic. I definately veer more towards underground versus mainstream but they is good in everything ...pretty much.
    Some music i like

Classical
    (not too keen on bandstand/brass or easy listening, i prefer the dramatic)

Reggae- the old school style not ragga

Rythm and blues-again old style not R&B as in the modern superficial crap (although there are exceptions)

Psychadelic-think the ORB, Floyd

Drum and Bass (very occaisionally)

Soul- Again the old school soul "These arms of mine" is an all time favourite

Blues- Love Bobby "Blue" Bland

Funk Preety much all types, including funky Hip Hop

Trip hop and Hip hop- not the woman bashing variety

Indie, Rock & occaisional metal

this list is getting too long

Much more, i tend to find music i like in pretty much every genre....

Have to add this

[YOUTUBE="K-FQL-tJ3ic"]One of my all time fav's[/YOUTUBE]
    Last edited by Betty Blue; 07-12-2010 at 04:01 AM. Reason: Haha i wrote booby.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Natrushka View Post
    For me it really depends on the headspace I'm in when I hear something new. The word eclectic isn't eclectic-enough to describe my tastes.
    Nice! This!!!
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

What peoples mean by "mainstream music"?

I love the Destiny's Child for example. Is it mainstream music?
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

Destiny's Child would be mainstream here, I guess. Are they popular in France?

Not sure if that even matters. I like Superbus. Apparently they're popular with like teenage girls in France or something. I like Shiina Ringo, who's popular in JP.. but both are bands I don't think many listen to much here. Is it all still mainstream, because they have a pop sound?

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Destiny's Child would be mainstream here, I guess. Are they popular in France?

Yes of course! Destiny's Child have ruled the World is'nt it? I remember that in 2004, for their concert at Bercy, places were very expensive, between 40 and 80€. Still less expensive and in the less large place than for the Rolling Stones (at the Stade de France for 120-140€ the place), but still impressive.
    Not sure if that even matters. I like Superbus. Apparently they're popular with like teenage girls in France or something.
    Superbus are mainstream now, but they were'nt several years ago. They are more listened by teenage girls nowaday, but initially they were more listend by hyppies, teenagers pop-rock aficionados or something.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

hah.. well i guess i was as cool as the teen pop rock afficianados in france then

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INT-

I enjoy music for two separate yet not completely independent reasons.
    Detail and ambiance.
    Detail being the general texture and layout of the song, be it hypnotically simplistic or awe-inspiringly complicated. Ambiance being the emotional "color" of the song, if you will.
    Obviously, one affects the other, to varying degrees.

I tend to listen to music based on how I feel at the moment, rarely if ever does music change my mood, other than making me vaguely annoyed if I hate it and am forced to listen to it.

I abhor talentless, uncreative music, though not necessarily mainstream music, as many of the bands I enjoy have had great commercial and critical success.
    In the end, the modern "indie" movement annoys me just as much as the people who listen to terrible pop music... Nobody is impressed with your intellect based on the awesome "underground" bands you listen to, folks. -_-

Though there are styles and genres I hate, I don't think that musical preference works predictably as any sort of barometer of a person's intelligence or maturity. I consider rap/hip-hop to be largely stupid and immature music, yet I know many individuals far smarter and more mature than myself who listen to it almost exclusively.

Most of my favorite bands are metal bands, though I probably wouldn't qualify myself as a metalhead. I like weird, experimental, progressive music, music which leaves a lot to be analyzed, and to that end most of the bands I've found which fit the bill happen to be metal bands.

Favorites of late:
    Devin Townsend, both his solo work (progressive metal, alternative, pop/jazz fusion) and his work with the band Strapping Young Lad (industrial/extreme metal)
    Fear Factory (industrial metal, love their cold agressive sound mixed with the sci-fi lyrical concepts)
    Gojira (this band fits various sub-genres of metal, even within a single album; their music also strikes me as be extremely XXFX orient, lyrically)
    Korn (dark alternative metal, simplistic and derives most of it's power from raw emotion, really loved their earlier albums)
    Meshuggah (insane progressive metal, indescribably complicated yet pattern based and logical, have to hear it to understand, this band blows my mind and I consider them to be the most important metal band in existence)
    Tool (alternative metal, "trippy", very introspective, feels like kind of a neutral ground between F and T...)

Others worth a mention:
    Porcupine Tree
    Ministry (the album Twitch is classic industrial, everything else they've done sucks major wang, though)
    Primus
    Alice in Chains (loved Dirt)
    Slayer
    Deadsy
    Sergei Rachmaninoff (don't listen to much classical, but, love this guy's work)
    Dave Brubeck (listen to very little jazz, but the bebop compositions by Brubeck are always easy on my ear)

I would theorize that F's enjoy music which strikes a certain emotional chord in them, while T's like complex and detailed instrumentation or lyrics.
    But, this mold rarely seems to work.
    I have an ENTP friend who listens largely to atrocious 60's/70's pop music and acoustic blues, and most of the INFPs I've met like prog. metal a lot.

[/megapost]
    INTP 4w5 SX/SP
    Tritype 4/5/8

I liked detailed instrumentation -if it has to have an emotional chord too

For instance, I've never liked "shredder" albums (Vai, Satriani, etc), but Jason Becker blows my mind. He's both.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtjOe5e9VFA].[/youtube]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I really like pop music like The Beach Boys(especially their late 60s/early 70s work), but I also like complex experimental electronic music like Autechre and Oval.

Fear Factory (industrial metal, love their cold agressive sound mixed with the sci-fi lyrical concepts)
    Oh yeah, I like Fear Factory too.
    Reserved Calm Unstructured Egocentric Inquisitive Clown

Johari Nohari