Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Personality Types and Music

5w6 sp/so

Here you go:
    [youtube=]Nynesneg's video[/youtube]
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    ...- Bloodhound Gang: XXTP (Full disclosure: I once dated an ISTP megafan.)
    Bloodhound gang is crappy mainstream shit and doesent give nearly enything to analyzing aspect to be eny good to enyone who knows enything about music and wants to analyze it.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Senior Member Array rainoneventide's Avatar

Lmao, there you go. I agree that personality type has nothing to do with music preference.
    Every single person hears the same song differently and values the same song for different reasons.

I can listen to any genre as long as it has some underlying meaning. It doesn't have to be deep, I just want substance. Substance as in a song that invokes emotions or gives some insight into the artist's mindset. That's all completely subjective, but yeah. For instance, I like "Poker Face" by Lady Gaga because even though the lyrics are simple, I feel like the song as a whole really encompasses a slew of relatable emotions. However, Hannah Montana's music doesn't. At all. For me, anyway. The songs are catchy, but they're only a facade.
    "So I say, live and let live. That’s my motto. Live and let live.
    Anyone who can’t go along with that, take him outside and shoot the motherfucker."
    - George Carlin

4w5 sx/sp

i'm an infp and according to

I'm into hip-hop, soul, female vocalists, rap and rnb, including:
    Lil' Wayne, Wu-Tang Clan, Amy Winehouse, Notorious B.I.G., Kanye West, A Tribe Called Quest, Wale, GZA/Genius, Kid Cudi, Clipse, Nas, Ghostface Killah, Jay-Z, Lupe Fiasco, Marvin Gaye, Beyoncé, Ol' Dirty Bastard, Charles Hamilton, The-Dream, Method Man, Miley Cyrus, OutKast, M.I.A., Ice Cube, Method Man & Redman, R. Kelly, E-40, Big L, Joanna Newsom, Drake, Keri Hilson, T-Pain, Raekwon, Nina Simone.

i feel like rap is not the first genre that people would associate with an infp

The only main trend I've ever noted was that it seemed like alot of Artisan SP types enjoyed music with a distinctive beat - particularly RnB or Rock with prominant percussion.

Also that NFP's and some SFP's are fiercely individualistic about their musical tastes, deviating a long way from mainstream artists.

NF's seem less likely to appreciate mainstream music, and enjoy both abstracted, cryptic lyrics and original sound. And may like Indie for political reasons?!

Dunno bout NT's or SJ's ... they both seem less individualistic when it comes to musical tastes. Although my little sister is and ISFJ and she has a wide and weird appreciation of different genres, yet she doesn't seem to need to identify personally with it in the same way NF's and some SP's seem to.

I listen to whatever I want. My music ranges from Swedish melodic death metal such as the band At The Gates, to San Francisco's alternative rock band Third Eye Blind, to hip-hop legend Tupac Shakur, and on, and on.

Why would music choice not be influenced by a person's type? If it is not, what does type influence? And if type does not influence anything, why does this forum exist?

I think it's stereotyping to try and say things like, "All INFPs like Sarah McClachlan because she has touchy-feely songs." However, INFPs' main function is Fi. So, it would make sense that music would have a personal connection of some kind, and that Fi paired with Ne might mean that their musical tastes are all over the place, but that every CD in their collection, or every artist in their collection, means something in a personal way to them. ISTPs would choose music in a different way, as would ENFJs, ESTJs, etc. In fact, a group of 6 people who were all different types might end up picking the same favorite artist or CD, but for different reasons using different functions to arrive at the same conclusion. For example, I like Mudhoney. I don't think if you listen to them, that INFP would be the first type that would spring to mind. However, my internal value system highly values individuality, and Mudhoney are the grandfathers of grunge which I love because it was individualistic, unique, and anti-corporate (anti-collectivist) during its time. (Unfortunately, we've swung completely back 'round the other way to over-produced pop for the 2000s decade, so hopefully we'll go back to the garage for the 2010s. )
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"

Certified Sausage Smoker Array Elfboy's Avatar
    5w4 sx/sp
    SLI None

as a whole, I would think more simplistic music like rock, country, or pop would appeal more to S types. personally, I find rock and country to be too simplistic for me
    Ns tend to like more complex music. even so, I like pop music if it's good (for some reason, I really like Lady GaGa hahaha)
    as a whole tho, I think musical tastes has more to do with your psychological state than your temperament. I can say (being one) that ENFPs and probably INFPs tend to like more surreal, mystical music (think Enya) or really heroic, passionate music (like Lord of the Rings).
    I really like opera for these reasons, but it's mostly because I relate to the emotions and I consider myself emotionally strong and passionate (which I have developed more than been born with). for some reason I really relate to sopranos in particular and when I hear a really heroic soprano voice, it sends tingles down my spine
    also, I like any music that has a tight ass mentality to it which is why I like a lot of rap. they just do there thing, get money, get pussy and then do whatever the hell they want
    I don't like a lot of music these days (with lots of exceptions) because it has a weak mentality behind it. the guys just sound whiny and desperate and the girls sound like stuck up bitches.

I'm still not sure of my type (sorry!), but I like anything that captures symbolic/theatrical/archetypal imagery in some way? the best music plays out these symbols and archetypes in a little repeating play in my head.. and the best artists embody the symbol itself. like johnny cash is forever this "left hand of god" character. and iggy pop is the enfant terrible. robert johnson is the man who sold his soul to the devil. morrissey is unrequited love. most world/international musicians embody what they're playing in some way..the guy above mentioned gaga..she does it too.

otoh, i tend to hate musicians who represent nothing but pettyness, who address you highly personally. like i should care. i demand they be larger than life, and present an entire world in their songs.

beats rarely draw my attention (whether they're there or not). i don't care to dance. my mind focuses on mood, melody, and atmosphere. and virtuosity (good soloists).

anyways, sticking to just genres, I like just about any rock subgenre, classical, and international/world music.

Um, I'm ENFP and my music taste is a odd for people of my age...