User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

No significant correlations, end of story.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    SEXY

My old music teacher used to have this really nice theory (probably didn't come up with it himself, he wasn't that smart), that you can like music for three reasons.

1. It get's you emotionally.
    2. You can dance/have a good time to it.
    3. That it's put together well technically speaking.

I think his theory has grounds and may even hold relation to MBTI types. People can like multiple genre's of music, but they will usually have a preference for one or two specific genres.

MBTI
    INTP

I will gladly listen to anything except country, folk, bluegrass, etc.

However, there's not a lot of music that I genuinely and thoroughly enjoy. The most important criterion more me is that the music be purely instrumental.

Ironically, music with lyrics doesn't speak to me. I'll listen to stuff with lyrics, but I won't take it seriously. If there is anything originating from the vocal cords, it needs to be either pure vowel sounds, nonsense syllables (think scat), or at least needs to have no real meaning. Lyrics draw attention away from the actual musical part of the music.

Complexity is a non-issue for me. I can appreciate really complex music, really simple music, and anything in between.

As far as genres go, I like funk, classical, jazz (especially fusion), rock, and trance.

I appreciate demonstration of quality musicianship, but it is not a requirement. Improvisation is a plus.
    Last edited by laughingebony; 06-14-2009 at 09:29 PM. Reason: p

Banned
    MBTI
    type
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFP

I am an INTP, and i love depressing music. I have no clue why.

MBTI
    ISTJ

I have a wide range of taste in music. I love indie rock (used to volunteer at the campus radio station, loved that!), hip-hop, top 40, hard rock, 80's, 90's, you name it. My music collection is quite large!

My favorite artists are Death Cab for Cutie, The Postal Service, Andrew Bird, Josh Ritter, Jack Johnson, Johnny Cash, The Killers, Rob Thomas/Matchbox Twenty...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Senior Member iamathousandapples's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by mortabunt View Post
    I am an INTP, and i love depressing music. I have no clue why.
    yes, also any music that can capture my attention or keep me interested

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    No significant correlations, end of story.
    This.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    I'm totally making this up as I go along but I hypothesize that taste in music is correlated with at least F/T and J/P (or, in terms of function theory, whether one's judgment function is Ti, Te, Fi or Fe). I propose that:

- Ti types are predisposed to analytical/satirical music.
    - Te types are predisposed to powerful/commanding music.
    - Fi types are predisposed to heartfelt/passionate music.
    - Fe types are predisposed to charming/persuasive music.

By this rationale, the fans incarnate of the following bands would be:

- Bloodhound Gang: XXTP (Full disclosure: I once dated an ISTP megafan.)
    - Rammstein: XXTJ (Enough said.) (Although the band might have to be categorized differently for German speakers.)
    - Depeche Mode: XXFP
    - U2: XXFJ

There is no need to post disconfirmatory data of the "I listen to <insert band> and I'm an X" sort as I am fully aware that no one listens to only one kind of music. However, disconfirmatory data of the "I'm an X and I don't listen to <insert corresponding kind of music>" will be appreciated, as will refinement of this quick 'n' dirty hypothesis.
    You can't really classify those as types of music, alot of music can have many or all of those elements at once.

One of my favorite bands is Dredg, not very well known but they are starting to be.

Also wouldn't your age affect your taste in music alot? The time era in which you grew up in probably has a direct affect on what types of music you are aware of, alot of people generally can't keep up when they get older. (or they listen to the same old crap over and over and over)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think it has more to do with your experiences and your own creativity than it does with your type.

Whether or not you are musically inclined will also influence what you listen to. Taking music performance to a serious level also opened me up to a lot of different genres I would have overlooked otherwise.

Just for the record though, I think my Ni is why I love Pink Floyd so much.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2

Nobody get mad at me for resurrecting a dead thread. :P
    I couldn't resist! Otherwise I would have posted another copycat topic, so this is better no?

So here's my thought. I am very intrigued with how personalities relate to your music style. While we all listen to a wide variety of music, what kind do you find yourself drawn to over and over? The type of songs that go in your all-time favorites list.

I am drawn to songs with a beautiful melody. I enjoy complex harmonies, and elements often. I don't like harsh noisier songs such as Industrial or Death Metal.

My favorite genre by far is vocal and euphoric trance. I luuuve it! Listening to the ethereal melodies make me feel like I've been transported another world, they express some of the strongest emotions of nearly any genre I've heard. Closing my eyes and listening to this music nearly makes me feel an emotional high, it is so gorgeous.

Example:
    Doppler Effect - Beauty Hides in the Deep
    YouTube - The Doppler Effect - Beauty Hides in the Deep (The Blizzard)

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id8P7Oe_qEw"][/YOUTUBE]

I also enjoy songs like Sting - Desert Rose for the haunting melodies. I really couldn't care less about lyrics unless I am in an emotional situation.

Does anyone else particularly enjoy this type of music, or for different reasons? Other music for the same reasons?

...but an N will probably be more appreciative of the overtones of music and the more background impressions, such as rhythm, tone, and melody, but not the actual words. They listen to music because it paints imagery in the mind, and requires more abstract, subjective interpretation
    This I can completely relate to...
    Last edited by nynesneg; 10-18-2009 at 11:14 PM. Reason: How do you make youtube links work?