User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by SuperServal View Post
    Do you guys think that a person's personality type can influence their preference for a certain type of music?
    No

Personally, I think that whatever different individuals find appealing in music (and all art for that matter) is so complicated, that personality types couldn't really predict any preference accurately.
    Yes

(However, maybe F types might get a little more nostalgic over certain songs that they associate with certain people, times and places, do ya think?
    No

My favorite bands
    Tech N9ne
    Nirvana
    South Park Mexican
    Twiztid
    Marilyn Manson
    Dark Lotus
    Rob Zombie
    Nine Inch Nails
    Insane Clown Posse
    Alice in Chains
    Lil' Flip
    Big Moe
    Black Sabbath
    Z-Ro
    Soundgarden

Because you can't spell "Slaughter" without "Laughter"

Do any NF's out there NOT like Enya (I'm honestly wondering, and not being sarcastic in the least)?

MBTI
    ISTx

Good songs, good melodies, good drums, good hooks, good vocals, good musicianship, fun times.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by maliafee View Post
    Do any NF's out there NOT like Enya (I'm honestly wondering, and not being sarcastic in the least)?
    My NF mom prefers Lyle Lovett and James Taylor. She's not an Enya fan. I have a male NF friend who might like Enya if he heard it, but his favorite genres are techno and drum & bass.

Also, I like almost all music. My favorite music is complicated music (though I like uncomplicated music most of the time, too). This includes:
    *Progressive rock/metal (as long as it's melodic - that is, Tool or The Black Mages or Isis, but not not NOT Meshuggah... also, not Dragonforce, because they're so cheesy and yet take themselves so seriously!!)
    *Rock operas (Quadrophenia, Thick as a Brick, Karn Evil 9, The Hazards of Love, etc)
    *Concept albums/concept songs (The Power and the Glory by Gentle Giant, The Island by The Decemberists, 10,000 Days by Tool, etc)
    *Anything that changes time signatures a lot
    *Anything that breaks ground, and seems to have taken a lot of skill, musical knowledge/training and creativity to create (music by Radiohead, Sufjan Stevens, etc)
    *Music by incredible artists (Jimi Hendrix for amazing guitar, Ben Folds for amazing piano, Elliott Smith and Paul Simon for amazing lyrics, Emerson Lake and Palmer for amazing EVERYTHING, etc)
    *Good "classical" music (including baroque, etc). I'm a huge fan of Bach and Ravel.

Least favorite genres:
    Mainstream hip-hop ('cause it's rude and sexist and many other things)
    Mainstream country (see above)
    Redneck hard rock, e.g. Buckcherry or Kid Rock (see above)
    Mainstream R&B ('cause it's so effing generic!!!)
    Metal with too much yelling
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    I know.
    It is a sad spectacle.
    Kind of like INTPs and their automatic dismissal of anything that sells more than 12 records?
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Kind of like INTPs and their automatic dismissal of anything that sells more than 12 records?
    Dunno about that. I know INTPs that absolutely ADORE the Grateful Dead, and collect their live albums. And how many of those ARE there, anyway? Hundreds? Thousands?

EDIT: Just realized that I totally skipped the point of this thread! Whoops! But anyways, I don't really notice a type-music correlation, except that, since NTs have more of a tendency to be nerdy, they would be more likely to 1. listen to nerdy music (cough dragonforce cough), or 2. listen to techno/electronica/house/drum&bass. Fs might like sad songs more, but I have no factual evidence to back that hypothesis up. There are pretty much NO similarities between the musical tastes of SJs, since they might tend to, with regard to music, follow with someone's preestablished tradition, and that someone could like ANYTHING, from Metallica to Chopin. (Also, see my above post. Does that look like traditional music to you? Probably not! But 90% of the music I like is music that my parents like (or like OKAY) too.)
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

^ Just a little joke. I know a lot of INTPs who are really pretentious about music, but it's not just them.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Well I don't know about correlation to type, but I definitely choose music for (1) its emotional impact on me and (2) its complexity.

Regarding (1), I really, really like melancholy music. Not sentimental or nostalgic, just general melancholy. I like it to be sad and reflective. Regarding (2), I really like music with odd instrumentation and abstract noises. I've grown less accepting of music groups who limit themselves to the typical drums, bass, guitars, vocalist routine. Give me sitars, harps, brass instruments, any ethnic instrument, electronically generated noises.

Also, I'll add a (3)rd dimension. I like for the music to minimal. Music that is TOO decadent can get on my nerves. It needs to be balanced and elegant. This is mostly why I avoid metal and certain types of rock.

This is more personal than anything, but I tend to prefer female vocalists and I guess you could say "feminine" style of music. Not in that it's girly, but that it has more of a personal, vulnerable style to it. Like a revealing of the psyche.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    I'm totally making this up as I go along but I hypothesize that taste in music is correlated with at least F/T and J/P (or, in terms of function theory, whether one's judgment function is Ti, Te, Fi or Fe). I propose that:

- Ti types are predisposed to analytical/satirical music.
    - Te types are predisposed to powerful/commanding music.
    - Fi types are predisposed to heartfelt/passionate music.
    - Fe types are predisposed to charming/persuasive music.

By this rationale, the fans incarnate of the following bands would be:

- Bloodhound Gang: XXTP (Full disclosure: I once dated an ISTP megafan.)
    - Rammstein: XXTJ (Enough said.) (Although the band might have to be categorized differently for German speakers.)
    - Depeche Mode: XXFP
    - U2: XXFJ

There is no need to post disconfirmatory data of the "I listen to <insert band> and I'm an X" sort as I am fully aware that no one listens to only one kind of music. However, disconfirmatory data of the "I'm an X and I don't listen to <insert corresponding kind of music>" will be appreciated, as will refinement of this quick 'n' dirty hypothesis.
    Many primitive fans of Rammstein are ISTJs but in general Rammstein fans are intuitive because the lyrics are so abstract.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

METAL, METAL, METAL!
    Ahem, sorry.

I prefer any music that is loud, heavy, and fast. Currently in love with Death/Black metal, though my first love will always be electronic music.

Fav bands:
    Meshuggah
    Dying Fetus
    As blood bleeds black
    Born of Osiris
    Origin
    Suffocation
    Kataclysm
    The Faceless
    Lamb of God
    Rob Zombie
    Slayer