• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Personality Types and Music

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
My old music teacher used to have this really nice theory (probably didn't come up with it himself, he wasn't that smart), that you can like music for three reasons.

1. It get's you emotionally.
2. You can dance/have a good time to it.
3. That it's put together well technically speaking.

I think his theory has grounds and may even hold relation to MBTI types. People can like multiple genre's of music, but they will usually have a preference for one or two specific genres.

laughingebony

MBTI Type
INTP
I will gladly listen to anything except country, folk, bluegrass, etc.

However, there's not a lot of music that I genuinely and thoroughly enjoy. The most important criterion more me is that the music be purely instrumental.

Ironically, music with lyrics doesn't speak to me. I'll listen to stuff with lyrics, but I won't take it seriously. If there is anything originating from the vocal cords, it needs to be either pure vowel sounds, nonsense syllables (think scat), or at least needs to have no real meaning. Lyrics draw attention away from the actual musical part of the music.

Complexity is a non-issue for me. I can appreciate really complex music, really simple music, and anything in between.

As far as genres go, I like funk, classical, jazz (especially fusion), rock, and trance.

I appreciate demonstration of quality musicianship, but it is not a requirement. Improvisation is a plus.

Last edited:

jazzyidahovandal

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I have a wide range of taste in music. I love indie rock (used to volunteer at the campus radio station, loved that!), hip-hop, top 40, hard rock, 80's, 90's, you name it. My music collection is quite large!

My favorite artists are Death Cab for Cutie, The Postal Service, Andrew Bird, Josh Ritter, Jack Johnson, Johnny Cash, The Killers, Rob Thomas/Matchbox Twenty...

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
I'm totally making this up as I go along :) but I hypothesize that taste in music is correlated with at least F/T and J/P (or, in terms of function theory, whether one's judgment function is Ti, Te, Fi or Fe). I propose that:

- Ti types are predisposed to analytical/satirical music.
- Te types are predisposed to powerful/commanding music.
- Fi types are predisposed to heartfelt/passionate music.
- Fe types are predisposed to charming/persuasive music.

By this rationale, the fans incarnate of the following bands would be:

- Bloodhound Gang: XXTP (Full disclosure: I once dated an ISTP megafan.)
- Rammstein: XXTJ (Enough said.) (Although the band might have to be categorized differently for German speakers.)
- Depeche Mode: XXFP
- U2: XXFJ

There is no need to post disconfirmatory data of the "I listen to <insert band> and I'm an X" sort as I am fully aware that no one listens to only one kind of music. However, disconfirmatory data of the "I'm an X and I don't listen to <insert corresponding kind of music>" will be appreciated, as will refinement of this quick 'n' dirty hypothesis. :)

You can't really classify those as types of music, alot of music can have many or all of those elements at once.

One of my favorite bands is Dredg, not very well known but they are starting to be.

Also wouldn't your age affect your taste in music alot? The time era in which you grew up in probably has a direct affect on what types of music you are aware of, alot of people generally can't keep up when they get older. (or they listen to the same old crap over and over and over)

Kra

Black Magic Buzzard
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
I think it has more to do with your experiences and your own creativity than it does with your type.

Whether or not you are musically inclined will also influence what you listen to. Taking music performance to a serious level also opened me up to a lot of different genres I would have overlooked otherwise.

Just for the record though, I think my Ni is why I love Pink Floyd so much.

nynesneg

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Nobody get mad at me for resurrecting a dead thread. :p
I couldn't resist! Otherwise I would have posted another copycat topic, so this is better no?

So here's my thought. I am very intrigued with how personalities relate to your music style. While we all listen to a wide variety of music, what kind do you find yourself drawn to over and over? The type of songs that go in your all-time favorites list.

I am drawn to songs with a beautiful melody. I enjoy complex harmonies, and elements often. I don't like harsh noisier songs such as Industrial or Death Metal.

My favorite genre by far is vocal and euphoric trance. I luuuve it! Listening to the ethereal melodies make me feel like I've been transported another world, they express some of the strongest emotions of nearly any genre I've heard. Closing my eyes and listening to this music nearly makes me feel an emotional high, it is so gorgeous.:D

Example:
Doppler Effect - Beauty Hides in the Deep
YouTube - The Doppler Effect - Beauty Hides in the Deep (The Blizzard)

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id8P7Oe_qEw"][/YOUTUBE]

I also enjoy songs like Sting - Desert Rose for the haunting melodies. I really couldn't care less about lyrics unless I am in an emotional situation.

Does anyone else particularly enjoy this type of music, or for different reasons? Other music for the same reasons?

...but an N will probably be more appreciative of the overtones of music and the more background impressions, such as rhythm, tone, and melody, but not the actual words. They listen to music because it paints imagery in the mind, and requires more abstract, subjective interpretation
This I can completely relate to... :)

Last edited:

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Here you go:
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id8P7Oe_qEw]Nynesneg's video[/youtube]

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
...- Bloodhound Gang: XXTP (Full disclosure: I once dated an ISTP megafan.)

Bloodhound gang is crappy mainstream shit and doesent give nearly enything to analyzing aspect to be eny good to enyone who knows enything about music and wants to analyze it.

rainoneventide

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
^

Lmao, there you go. I agree that personality type has nothing to do with music preference.
Every single person hears the same song differently and values the same song for different reasons.

I can listen to any genre as long as it has some underlying meaning. It doesn't have to be deep, I just want substance. Substance as in a song that invokes emotions or gives some insight into the artist's mindset. That's all completely subjective, but yeah. For instance, I like "Poker Face" by Lady Gaga because even though the lyrics are simple, I feel like the song as a whole really encompasses a slew of relatable emotions. However, Hannah Montana's music doesn't. At all. For me, anyway. The songs are catchy, but they're only a facade.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i'm an infp and according to last.fm:

I'm into hip-hop, soul, female vocalists, rap and rnb, including:
Lil' Wayne, Wu-Tang Clan, Amy Winehouse, Notorious B.I.G., Kanye West, A Tribe Called Quest, Wale, GZA/Genius, Kid Cudi, Clipse, Nas, Ghostface Killah, Jay-Z, Lupe Fiasco, Marvin Gaye, Beyoncé, Ol' Dirty Bastard, Charles Hamilton, The-Dream, Method Man, Miley Cyrus, OutKast, M.I.A., Ice Cube, Method Man & Redman, R. Kelly, E-40, Big L, Joanna Newsom, Drake, Keri Hilson, T-Pain, Raekwon, Nina Simone.

i feel like rap is not the first genre that people would associate with an infp

bronson

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
The only main trend I've ever noted was that it seemed like alot of Artisan SP types enjoyed music with a distinctive beat - particularly RnB or Rock with prominant percussion.

Also that NFP's and some SFP's are fiercely individualistic about their musical tastes, deviating a long way from mainstream artists.

NF's seem less likely to appreciate mainstream music, and enjoy both abstracted, cryptic lyrics and original sound. And may like Indie for political reasons?! :D

Dunno bout NT's or SJ's ... they both seem less individualistic when it comes to musical tastes. Although my little sister is and ISFJ and she has a wide and weird appreciation of different genres, yet she doesn't seem to need to identify personally with it in the same way NF's and some SP's seem to.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I listen to whatever I want. My music ranges from Swedish melodic death metal such as the band At The Gates, to San Francisco's alternative rock band Third Eye Blind, to hip-hop legend Tupac Shakur, and on, and on.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Why would music choice not be influenced by a person's type? If it is not, what does type influence? And if type does not influence anything, why does this forum exist?

I think it's stereotyping to try and say things like, "All INFPs like Sarah McClachlan because she has touchy-feely songs." However, INFPs' main function is Fi. So, it would make sense that music would have a personal connection of some kind, and that Fi paired with Ne might mean that their musical tastes are all over the place, but that every CD in their collection, or every artist in their collection, means something in a personal way to them. ISTPs would choose music in a different way, as would ENFJs, ESTJs, etc. In fact, a group of 6 people who were all different types might end up picking the same favorite artist or CD, but for different reasons using different functions to arrive at the same conclusion. For example, I like Mudhoney. I don't think if you listen to them, that INFP would be the first type that would spring to mind. However, my internal value system highly values individuality, and Mudhoney are the grandfathers of grunge which I love because it was individualistic, unique, and anti-corporate (anti-collectivist) during its time. (Unfortunately, we've swung completely back 'round the other way to over-produced pop for the 2000s decade, so hopefully we'll go back to the garage for the 2010s. :headphne: )

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
as a whole, I would think more simplistic music like rock, country, or pop would appeal more to S types. personally, I find rock and country to be too simplistic for me
Ns tend to like more complex music. even so, I like pop music if it's good (for some reason, I really like Lady GaGa hahaha)
as a whole tho, I think musical tastes has more to do with your psychological state than your temperament. I can say (being one) that ENFPs and probably INFPs tend to like more surreal, mystical music (think Enya) or really heroic, passionate music (like Lord of the Rings).
I really like opera for these reasons, but it's mostly because I relate to the emotions and I consider myself emotionally strong and passionate (which I have developed more than been born with). for some reason I really relate to sopranos in particular and when I hear a really heroic soprano voice, it sends tingles down my spine
also, I like any music that has a tight ass mentality to it which is why I like a lot of rap. they just do there thing, get money, get pussy and then do whatever the hell they want
I don't like a lot of music these days (with lots of exceptions) because it has a weak mentality behind it. the guys just sound whiny and desperate and the girls sound like stuck up bitches.

KDude

I'm still not sure of my type (sorry!), but I like anything that captures symbolic/theatrical/archetypal imagery in some way? the best music plays out these symbols and archetypes in a little repeating play in my head.. and the best artists embody the symbol itself. like johnny cash is forever this "left hand of god" character. and iggy pop is the enfant terrible. robert johnson is the man who sold his soul to the devil. morrissey is unrequited love. most world/international musicians embody what they're playing in some way..the guy above mentioned gaga..she does it too.

otoh, i tend to hate musicians who represent nothing but pettyness, who address you highly personally. like i should care. i demand they be larger than life, and present an entire world in their songs.

beats rarely draw my attention (whether they're there or not). i don't care to dance. my mind focuses on mood, melody, and atmosphere. and virtuosity (good soloists).

anyways, sticking to just genres, I like just about any rock subgenre, classical, and international/world music.