User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post

By this rationale, the fans incarnate of the following bands would be:

- Bloodhound Gang: XXTP (Full disclosure: I once dated an ISTP megafan.)
    - Rammstein: XXTJ (Enough said.) (Although the band might have to be categorized differently for German speakers.)
    - Depeche Mode: XXFP
    - U2: XXFJ

There is no need to post disconfirmatory data of the "I listen to <insert band> and I'm an X" sort as I am fully aware that no one listens to only one kind of music. However, disconfirmatory data of the "I'm an X and I don't listen to <insert corresponding kind of music>" will be appreciated, as will refinement of this quick 'n' dirty hypothesis.
    Watch me do it anyway

With the exception of Rammstein I like and listen to the other three you posted. </isn't it ironic>

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Natrushka View Post
    Watch me do it anyway

With the exception of Rammstein I like and listen to the other three you posted. </isn't it ironic>
    Watch me trap you into replying to my actual query by counting your reticence as confirmatory data.

MBTI
    INTJ

TJ music: Powerful/commanding. Flaw: Pompous.
    This could then mean ISTJs, INTJs, ENTJs and ESTJs might like similar music. The only thing I, my ISTJ and ESTJ agree on is "No Country".

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Natrushka View Post

This could then mean ISTJs, INTJs, ENTJs and ESTJs might like similar music. The only thing I, my ISTJ and ESTJ agree on is "No Country".
    Aha! You like different kinds of powerful/commanding/pompous music.

---

Seriously though, I'm all for an S/N refinement of my hypothesis. Any takers?

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    The bands I mentioned are just examples.

Naturally, I fit my own hypothesis in that I prefer pompous music. Hellbourn, could any of your favorite bands/artists be characterized by detractors as preachy?
    I guess there might be one or two but with the amount of music I listen to that's virtually nothing. I should add that everyone on the forum I frequent for the most part has no idea what type I am aside from me being IN. It seems that most (after watching a video of me) view me as IN_J but even that's a little subjective. This is somewhat off-topic but if you wanna check out videos of me and see if I fit the dominant Ni mold the URL is youtube.com/pitknight13.

Actually thinking a little bit further w/in the idea one of my favorite bands is Sepultura. The unique thing about them (as far as I go) is that I don't listen to them much for musical prowess, (although I do like the riffs anyway) but more for the message. The thing is when I'd think of the "preachy" you're trying to convey, I'm looking for a carbon-copy evangelist lol. I guess from an abstract point of view Sepultura is very preachy, but they're incredibly aggressively preachy, in that any means justify the ends of freedom.

How does that work for you?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Hellbourn3 View Post
    Actually thinking a little bit further w/in the idea one of my favorite bands is Sepultura. The unique thing about them (as far as I go) is that I don't listen to them much for musical prowess, (although I do like the riffs anyway) but more for the message. The thing is when I'd think of the "preachy" you're trying to convey, I'm looking for a carbon-copy evangelist lol. I guess from an abstract point of view Sepultura is very preachy, but they're incredibly aggressively preachy, in that any means justify the ends of freedom.

How does that work for you?
    That works great! I was thinking precisely of "music with a message" for FJ.

Another example of aggressive preachiness could be Bad Religion (whose vocalist/lyricist my SO believes to be ENFJ).

MBTI
    INFP

Well...

I tend to like songs based on lyrical cleverness, attitude (sassiness), and sentimentality. If I can relate to it, I like it. I have never enjoyed anything that doesn't focus on delivering some kind of lyrical message in a melodic way. In other words, I have never liked metal and probably never will. I, unlike many of my peers, enjoy country music for its storytelling, sentimentality, and nostalgia. Learning my type explains very well why I was so interested in "teen pop" groups when I was younger. I always knew I wasn't interested in what any boy band member looked like, I actually liked the music for how it made me feel and how I felt I could relate to it. Irregardless of whether it is "good" music, it fed directly into what I considered ideal and valuable at the time.

Very very interesting thread which raises some interesting questions...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Cindyrella
    I always knew I wasn't interested in what any boy band member looked like, I actually liked the music for how it made me feel and how I felt I could relate to it. Irregardless of whether it is "good" music, it fed directly into what I considered ideal and valuable at the time.
    This brings up a very interesting point about INFPs: supposedly we are always sifting external entities through our internal value filter to see if we like/agree with whatever it is we are in contact with. And it seems like some INFPs do, in fact, do this with music. I'm not sure if I have ever done that, though. I usually latch onto songs that make me vividly remember the setting of a certain time, including my relationships with certain people at that moment and the general atmosphere of the time. For example, The Decemberists and The Shins will always make me recall my first semester of college. When I listen to certain albums by those bands I instantly feel the excitment I felt at making new friends and trying new things at that time in my life. I can sometimes even smell the autumn leaves of the college campus. In this regard, I think that a lot of my repeated music preferences are dictated by my NF side.....especially the F. And though this actually has little bearing on what new music I may search out (b/c I have yet to become attatched to new music...I'm in the process of attatching), it might cause me to search out artists that are similar in some ways to the artists that I already have nostalgic value attatched to. And any music is fair game, so in that sense, I don't think I search out music and latch onto it based on how it falls in my "value sifter." But I can certainly understand why and how people would do that. Geeeez...music is so fascinating!

.....And what do you guys think of this little test thing?: The Do-Re-Mi's of Personality - What your music tastes say about your personality: take an online personality psychology quiz about music
    9 wing 1

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by SuperServal View Post
    96 % enjoys reflective and complex music
    64 % enjoys edgy and aggressive music
    74 % enjoys fun and simple music
    96 % enjoys energetic and upbeat music

People with high scores on the reflective and complex music-preference dimension tend to be open to new experiences, creative, intellectual, and enjoy trying new things. When it comes to politics, they tend to lean toward the liberal side. Wisdom, diversity, and fine arts are all important to them. When it comes to lifestyle, high scorers tend to be sophisticated, and relatively well off financially. After a hard day of work, if they're not listening to music or reading a book, they enjoy documentary films, independent, classic, or foreign films.

People with high scores on the energetic and aggressive music-preference dimension tend to enjoy taking risks and engaging in thrilling experiences. They also tend to be dominant, imaginative, and energetic. They tend to be politically liberal, and believe that freedom, independence, and excitement are important aspects of life. When it comes to lifestyle, lovers of edgy and aggressive music, tend to come from the middle to lower classes. As for media entertainment, they're likely to enjoy watching action, science fiction, fantasy, war, and horror movies.

People with high scores on the fun and simple music-preference dimension tend to be sociable, forgiving, happy, reliable, and athletic. When it comes to morals and values, they tend be conservative, and consider family, salvation, and discipline important life values. On those days when the cable's on the fritz, they enjoy reading fashion or sports magazines, and watching a major motion picture, musical, western movie, or comedy movie.

People with high scores on the energetic and upbeat music-preference dimension tend to be extraverted, relaxed, romantic, creative, and physically active. Friendships, freedom, and social recognition provide their lives with meaning and guidance. For a good party, fans of energetic and upbeat music, are the ones to call. Compared to people who do not like energetic and upbeat music, they tend to enjoy watching action movies, science fiction movies, gangster/mobster movies, comedy movies, and erotic films.
    pah.
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

MBTI
    INTJ

78 % enjoys reflective and complex music
    64 % enjoys edgy and aggressive music
    6 % enjoys fun and simple music
    4 % enjoys energetic and upbeat music

I liked this test.

People with low scores on the fun and simple music-preference dimension tend to introverted, unconventional, and artistic. When it comes to morals and values, chances are that they lean toward the liberal side, and consider beauty and inner harmony important principles in life. When selecting a movie to watch, they prefer suspense movies, cult movies, or foreign films.

People with low scores on the energetic and upbeat music-preference dimension tend to be introverted, less assertive than the average person, and detail oriented. As for politics and values, they tend to lean to the conservative side, and value intellect, ambition, and high art. When it comes to lifestyle, low scorers on the energetic and upbeat dimension often come from the middle and upper classes. When they're not reading, they're probably watching a romance movie, classic film, or western movie.