User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Do You Sing?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Default Do You Sing?

I'm not talking about sounding as bad as nails scraping on a chalk board in your car or in the shower, but do you do any serious vocal music making? I'm a long time guitar player that's trying to learn how to sing. I still don't know what I'm doing with this thing, and it's my own body.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Dunno what you mean with serious vocal music making, but as a kid I got singing lessons in the music academy and got pretty good grades. I stopped during high school (it was considered attention whoring), but recently overcame my stagefright developped in high school to sing with some of my friends on occasion. My goal is to eventually overcome my fear of the stage and be able to rock a karaoke bar

Edit: I'm a soprano
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    infp

I sing in a community choir - i started a couple of years ago on a whim -always enjoyed singing in the shower and car. i sing alto and I would never be good enough for a solo but love it. It is really difficult to get right, totally absorbing and wonderful for stress management. Its also quite physical and feels like a release - we sing just about anything but i like the spiritual and classical stuff the best
    I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
    Maya Angelou

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

yes.
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Baritone, when I'm in shape I can go from from the E under the staff, to the E just above middle C.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Yeah. I ain't bad. Not Avril Lavigne good though.

MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I sing, though don't do it so much anymore. For a while during high school I was in with a small group of friends trying to start a band. I wrote some songs and dabbled on keyboard while we all sought out the right vocal parts for each of us. Needless to say, it didn't work out. We dilly-dallied too much and never really got anywhere. I was a high-soprano in my high school choir. Never did any stage solo work, but on occasion would be pushed into doing a solo bit in class while we practiced songs. I'm not too bad, and I still love to belt it out every now and again, but only if I'm alone. I've noticed that I won't take my singing voice seriously if I feel self-conscious and purposely will not sing to my fullest potential. Guess I think I'd be showing off or I'd just make an ass out of myself

Practice scales. Warm up your voice and learn to breathe through your diaphragm. It was all stuff we did in choir [and we were number one in our state regional competition ]. The basic 'do re mi' scaled do work and if you warm up for about ten minutes or so before actually trying to sing, your voice will cooperate with you more than if you don't warm up. To keep those vocal cords from getting scratchy, drink water and hot tea with a spoonful or two of honey to soothe them. Also, pay close attention if you're singing along to songs on the radio to what your range is. What you can comfortably sing, what you absolutely cannot reach pitch/tone, and what you could achieve with a bit of practice.

Don't hate me because you're beautiful.
    4w5

http://www.mangabullet.com/visitme/ImaginAries.png

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by StoryOfMyLife View Post
    I sing, though don't do it so much anymore. For a while during high school I was in with a small group of friends trying to start a band. I wrote some songs and dabbled on keyboard while we all sought out the right vocal parts for each of us. Needless to say, it didn't work out. We dilly-dallied too much and never really got anywhere. I was a high-soprano in my high school choir. Never did any stage solo work, but on occasion would be pushed into doing a solo bit in class while we practiced songs. I'm not too bad, and I still love to belt it out every now and again, but only if I'm alone. I've noticed that I won't take my singing voice seriously if I feel self-conscious and purposely will not sing to my fullest potential. Guess I think I'd be showing off or I'd just make an ass out of myself

Practice scales. Warm up your voice and learn to breathe through your diaphragm. It was all stuff we did in choir [and we were number one in our state regional competition ]. The basic 'do re mi' scaled do work and if you warm up for about ten minutes or so before actually trying to sing, your voice will cooperate with you more than if you don't warm up. To keep those vocal cords from getting scratchy, drink water and hot tea with a spoonful or two of honey to soothe them. Also, pay close attention if you're singing along to songs on the radio to what your range is. What you can comfortably sing, what you absolutely cannot reach pitch/tone, and what you could achieve with a bit of practice.

WHYD'YA HAVE TO GO AND MAKE THINGS SO COMPLICATED?!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I can hit the F more than an octave below middle C, and I can get an octave above middle C in falsetto. I'm not sure what that makes me... I should check.

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Dunno what you mean with serious vocal music making, but as a kid I got singing lessons in the music academy and got pretty good grades. I stopped during high school (it was considered attention whoring), but recently overcame my stagefright developped in high school to sing with some of my friends on occasion. My goal is to eventually overcome my fear of the stage and be able to rock a karaoke bar
    As in singing seriously, I mean basically that you want to try sing, so that people actually think you sound good whether you're singing for a few friends or in front of hundreds of people.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

I sing in a community chorus and also in a church choir. In the past, I was in opera choruses... until the "artistic director" of the local opera company decided that he would take care of the finances, too. He bounced a few too many checks, the opera company went out of business, and he equipped himself with a one-way ticket to a warm-weather foreign island country. I suppose that check didn't bounce. The operas were fun. I've also been part of choral groups that sang with the local philharmonic orchestra.
    I took voice lessons for a number of years. I started taking them because I thought that something was wrong with my voice. I was singing alto and was becoming more and more incapable of producing any low notes. After a while of taking lessons, I noticed that I was still incapable of producing low notes, even though I was developing a strong upper register. My voice teacher told me that the reason that I couldn't produce the low notes was that I was a soprano. She also told me to stop singing alto. So I did. I like singing harmony, though, so I sing second soprano.
    I'm not really motivated to be a soloist although I have sung by myself in a fair number of recitals.
    I like to sing classical and folk (especially Celtic) the best. Opera is always fun, too. It is so dramatic!!!