• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do You Sing?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I sing badly, in the car or in the shower.

As for singing in an aurally pleasant manner, No- I do not sing.

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
:hi: QUESTION about singing. When employing proper singing technique, is there a minimum volume when doing that, or can you do that quietly?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
:hi: QUESTION about singing. When employing proper singing technique, is there a minimum volume when doing that, or can you do that quietly?
It depends on your desired end product.
Ideally you should practice it the way you're going to perform it
because it does make a difference.

I have practiced just singing quietly before, and then when I got into public to sing and had to project more volume there was a discrepancy.
I learned that I had to practice at the same volume I was planning to sing at.

I bought a CD the other day.
The guy whispers his way through every song.

The proper answer is probably that you should employ proper singing technique no matter what volume you're singing at. :)

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I wanna know if I can sing in my room at night without giving my parents an unwanted vocal performance.

StoryOfMyLife

MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
You should be able to do so when using proper singing techniques. I'm trying to remember the correct term for singing quietly or softly-- it's used in a lot of pieces of choir music to give a desired effect. Not so much decrescendo from a crescendo...oh goodness...Dolce! I think that's what it is. You should still be able to hold the notes as you would were you singing 'loudly' or projecting your voice, though it might take some practice to not sound off-key or feel like you're straining yourself. It is doable, though.

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
You should be able to do so when using proper singing techniques. I'm trying to remember the correct term for singing quietly or softly-- it's used in a lot of pieces of choir music to give a desired effect. Not so much decrescendo from a crescendo...oh goodness...Dolce! I think that's what it is. You should still be able to hold the notes as you would were you singing 'loudly' or projecting your voice, though it might take some practice to not sound off-key or feel like you're straining yourself. It is doable, though.

What about pianissimo (ppp or is that pp)?

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
I can and do sing, but I have a limited range. Last public appearance was me doing the Beatles' "Get Back" on a cruise ship karaoke.

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I don't generally like bars, and I'm not sure where else karaoke is done. Maybe I could go try it anyway, but you never know which songs will be available before you go.

StoryOfMyLife

MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
What about pianissimo (ppp or is that pp)?

I could be wrong, but I think terms like mp and fp [mezzo and forte] are in reference to when playing an instrument. There are similarities in music terminology and the voice is indeed an instrument--- but there seems to be a set of terms for the piano and then for singing. Dolce means to sing softly and/or sweetly.

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
I don't generally like bars, and I'm not sure where else karaoke is done. Maybe I could go try it anyway, but you never know which songs will be available before you go.
Yeah, there weren't that many in the selection that I wanted to take a chance on. One guy tried to sing "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" by ...who was it ? The Righteous Brothers ? He did OK, but there were times when it was obvious that he'd bitten off more than he could chew. I wouldn't have minded doing some old jump blues or swing. "Shake, Rattle and Roll" maybe. Or...I just thought of something Tallulah would like...
YouTube - ROSEMARY CLOONEY SONGS: Blues in the Night ( Sometimes guys sing this too, and change the lyrics around a bit to suit the change - "pigtails" for "knee pants" etc.

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I could be wrong, but I think terms like mp and fp [mezzo and forte] are in reference to when playing an instrument. There are similarities in music terminology and the voice is indeed an instrument--- but there seems to be a set of terms for the piano and then for singing. Dolce means to sing softly and/or sweetly.

Oh. I'm more guitar/piano minded. It's piano and forte. Mezzo precedes piano or forte and makes for the smallest change in volume (mp or mf). The piano gets it's name from the ability to play piano as opposed to the harpsichord which was either only one volume or only capable of being loud.

Yeah, there weren't that many in the selection that I wanted to take a chance on. One guy tried to sing "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" by ...who was it ? The Righteous Brothers ? He did OK, but there were times when it was obvious that he'd bitten off more than he could chew. I wouldn't have minded doing some old jump blues or swing. "Shake, Rattle and Roll" maybe. Or...I just thought of something Tallulah would like...
YouTube - ROSEMARY CLOONEY SONGS: Blues in the Night

I don't think I could judge the difficulty of a song before trying to sing it unless it's a particular singer I have trouble with.

GargoylesLegacy

Kickin' Ass since 1984
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w9
Yep, I do sing. Still trying to learn how to use the Diaphragm properly tho. I mean it sounds okay right now but not how it should. Darn Thing. :dry:
My Roommate still wants me to sing a Song he composed. I am pretty much trying to avoid that as long as I can't use that stupid awesome Thing tho.

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Yep, I do sing. Still trying to learn how to use the Diaphragm properly tho. I mean it sounds okay right now but not how it should. Darn Thing. :dry:
My Roommate still wants me to sing a Song he composed. I am pretty much trying to avoid that as long as I can't use that stupid awesome Thing tho.

I read that somehow you can do a diaphragm vibrato. I imagine it works somewhat like a wah pedal on guitar in how it changes the sound of things without changing the pitch.

Somewhere there is a video of me singing posted, but the singing isn't good at all. One day I might record a new and improved version of me singing and post it.

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
I don't think I could judge the difficulty of a song before trying to sing it unless it's a particular singer I have trouble with.
Yeah, I know what you mean. That's why I would look for songs that I had sung before, that were familiar to me. Stuff like "Dead Flowers" by the Stones, or "Let It Bleed".
YouTube - Rolling Stones - Dead Flowers (Marquee 1971)

Or played by a crowd closer to my age :)
YouTube - Keith Richards Dead Flowers live
YouTube - Let it Bleed - Rolling Stones

GargoylesLegacy

Kickin' Ass since 1984
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w9
I read that somehow you can do a diaphragm vibrato. I imagine it works somewhat like a wah pedal on guitar in how it changes the sound of things without changing the pitch.
Yeah I have seen lots of Videos and Stuff about how to use it but...IDK, I am kinda keeping myself back. It's like...first it sounds a lil wrong and then I stop immediately BECAUSE it sounds wrong. When I could finally pass this Barrier I would be fine I guess. :dry:
I wonder how many People have the exact same Problem.

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I tried karaoke in a bar when I was 18 (I'm 27). I don't remember how it turned out, but most likely it was bad.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Another low alto in the house. (Why are songs never written in the lower part of the range?)

I like to sing choir, but the song choice is always so unfortunate. My current choir director has the usual whole "art is dead" complex thing... and I've been surprisingly successful in not declaring that this is because our music choices are awful. Songs about British landscapes and how much we love God (in Latin) and songs about Queen Elizabeth's not!virginity, while sometimes momentarily cute are, in a long term perspective, rather inane. No wonder "art" is dead.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
How about sotto voce?

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I sing and I suck at it!!! :newwink:

I sing because it feels great and I enjoy it. :yes:

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I like to sing a duet with a low alto.
I think that there are a lot of songs written in the lower part of the range, or so it seems to me... because... um... they're too low for me...

Another low alto in the house. (Why are songs never written in the lower part of the range?)

I like to sing choir, but the song choice is always so unfortunate. My current choir director has the usual whole "art is dead" complex thing... and I've been surprisingly successful in not declaring that this is because our music choices are awful. Songs about British landscapes and how much we love God (in Latin) and songs about Queen Elizabeth's not!virginity, while sometimes momentarily cute are, in a long term perspective, rather inane. No wonder "art" is dead.