User Tag List

First 456

Thread: Do You Sing?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by StoryOfMyLife View Post
    I could be wrong, but I think terms like mp and fp [mezzo and forte] are in reference to when playing an instrument. There are similarities in music terminology and the voice is indeed an instrument--- but there seems to be a set of terms for the piano and then for singing. Dolce means to sing softly and/or sweetly.
    Oh. I'm more guitar/piano minded. It's piano and forte. Mezzo precedes piano or forte and makes for the smallest change in volume (mp or mf). The piano gets it's name from the ability to play piano as opposed to the harpsichord which was either only one volume or only capable of being loud.

Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    Yeah, there weren't that many in the selection that I wanted to take a chance on. One guy tried to sing "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" by ...who was it ? The Righteous Brothers ? He did OK, but there were times when it was obvious that he'd bitten off more than he could chew. I wouldn't have minded doing some old jump blues or swing. "Shake, Rattle and Roll" maybe. Or...I just thought of something Tallulah would like...
    YouTube - ROSEMARY CLOONEY SONGS: Blues in the Night
    I don't think I could judge the difficulty of a song before trying to sing it unless it's a particular singer I have trouble with.

Kickin' Ass since 1984 GargoylesLegacy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    esTp

Yep, I do sing. Still trying to learn how to use the Diaphragm properly tho. I mean it sounds okay right now but not how it should. Darn Thing.
    My Roommate still wants me to sing a Song he composed. I am pretty much trying to avoid that as long as I can't use that stupid awesome Thing tho.
    Rule #1: Driver picks the music. Shotgun shuts his cakehole.

Again, Demons I get, but people are just crazy.

ESTP? o.O

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by GargoylesLegacy View Post
    Yep, I do sing. Still trying to learn how to use the Diaphragm properly tho. I mean it sounds okay right now but not how it should. Darn Thing.
    My Roommate still wants me to sing a Song he composed. I am pretty much trying to avoid that as long as I can't use that stupid awesome Thing tho.
    I read that somehow you can do a diaphragm vibrato. I imagine it works somewhat like a wah pedal on guitar in how it changes the sound of things without changing the pitch.

Somewhere there is a video of me singing posted, but the singing isn't good at all. One day I might record a new and improved version of me singing and post it.

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotTooPopular View Post
    I don't think I could judge the difficulty of a song before trying to sing it unless it's a particular singer I have trouble with.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. That's why I would look for songs that I had sung before, that were familiar to me. Stuff like "Dead Flowers" by the Stones, or "Let It Bleed".
    YouTube - Rolling Stones - Dead Flowers (Marquee 1971)

Or played by a crowd closer to my age
    YouTube - Keith Richards Dead Flowers live
    YouTube - Let it Bleed - Rolling Stones
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

Kickin' Ass since 1984 GargoylesLegacy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    esTp

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotTooPopular View Post
    I read that somehow you can do a diaphragm vibrato. I imagine it works somewhat like a wah pedal on guitar in how it changes the sound of things without changing the pitch.
    Yeah I have seen lots of Videos and Stuff about how to use it but...IDK, I am kinda keeping myself back. It's like...first it sounds a lil wrong and then I stop immediately BECAUSE it sounds wrong. When I could finally pass this Barrier I would be fine I guess.
    I wonder how many People have the exact same Problem.
    Rule #1: Driver picks the music. Shotgun shuts his cakehole.

Again, Demons I get, but people are just crazy.

ESTP? o.O

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I tried karaoke in a bar when I was 18 (I'm 27). I don't remember how it turned out, but most likely it was bad.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Another low alto in the house. (Why are songs never written in the lower part of the range?)

I like to sing choir, but the song choice is always so unfortunate. My current choir director has the usual whole "art is dead" complex thing... and I've been surprisingly successful in not declaring that this is because our music choices are awful. Songs about British landscapes and how much we love God (in Latin) and songs about Queen Elizabeth's not!virginity, while sometimes momentarily cute are, in a long term perspective, rather inane. No wonder "art" is dead.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

How about sotto voce?

Quote Originally Posted by StoryOfMyLife View Post
    You should be able to do so when using proper singing techniques. I'm trying to remember the correct term for singing quietly or softly-- it's used in a lot of pieces of choir music to give a desired effect. Not so much decrescendo from a crescendo...oh goodness...Dolce! I think that's what it is. You should still be able to hold the notes as you would were you singing 'loudly' or projecting your voice, though it might take some practice to not sound off-key or feel like you're straining yourself. It is doable, though.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I sing and I suck at it!!!

I sing because it feels great and I enjoy it.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

I like to sing a duet with a low alto.
    I think that there are a lot of songs written in the lower part of the range, or so it seems to me... because... um... they're too low for me...

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    Another low alto in the house. (Why are songs never written in the lower part of the range?)

I like to sing choir, but the song choice is always so unfortunate. My current choir director has the usual whole "art is dead" complex thing... and I've been surprisingly successful in not declaring that this is because our music choices are awful. Songs about British landscapes and how much we love God (in Latin) and songs about Queen Elizabeth's not!virginity, while sometimes momentarily cute are, in a long term perspective, rather inane. No wonder "art" is dead.