User Tag List

First 3456 Last

Thread: Do You Sing?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I sing badly, in the car or in the shower.

As for singing in an aurally pleasant manner, No- I do not sing.
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

QUESTION about singing. When employing proper singing technique, is there a minimum volume when doing that, or can you do that quietly?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotTooPopular View Post
    QUESTION about singing. When employing proper singing technique, is there a minimum volume when doing that, or can you do that quietly?
    It depends on your desired end product.
    Ideally you should practice it the way you're going to perform it
    because it does make a difference.

I have practiced just singing quietly before, and then when I got into public to sing and had to project more volume there was a discrepancy.
    I learned that I had to practice at the same volume I was planning to sing at.

I bought a CD the other day.
    The guy whispers his way through every song.

The proper answer is probably that you should employ proper singing technique no matter what volume you're singing at.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I wanna know if I can sing in my room at night without giving my parents an unwanted vocal performance.

MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

You should be able to do so when using proper singing techniques. I'm trying to remember the correct term for singing quietly or softly-- it's used in a lot of pieces of choir music to give a desired effect. Not so much decrescendo from a crescendo...oh goodness...Dolce! I think that's what it is. You should still be able to hold the notes as you would were you singing 'loudly' or projecting your voice, though it might take some practice to not sound off-key or feel like you're straining yourself. It is doable, though.
    Don't hate me because you're beautiful.
    4w5

http://www.mangabullet.com/visitme/ImaginAries.png

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by StoryOfMyLife View Post
    You should be able to do so when using proper singing techniques. I'm trying to remember the correct term for singing quietly or softly-- it's used in a lot of pieces of choir music to give a desired effect. Not so much decrescendo from a crescendo...oh goodness...Dolce! I think that's what it is. You should still be able to hold the notes as you would were you singing 'loudly' or projecting your voice, though it might take some practice to not sound off-key or feel like you're straining yourself. It is doable, though.
    What about pianissimo (ppp or is that pp)?

MBTI
    XNXP

I can and do sing, but I have a limited range. Last public appearance was me doing the Beatles' "Get Back" on a cruise ship karaoke.
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I don't generally like bars, and I'm not sure where else karaoke is done. Maybe I could go try it anyway, but you never know which songs will be available before you go.

MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

What about pianissimo (ppp or is that pp)?

I could be wrong, but I think terms like mp and fp [mezzo and forte] are in reference to when playing an instrument. There are similarities in music terminology and the voice is indeed an instrument--- but there seems to be a set of terms for the piano and then for singing. Dolce means to sing softly and/or sweetly.
    Don't hate me because you're beautiful.
    4w5

http://www.mangabullet.com/visitme/ImaginAries.png

MBTI
    XNXP

I don't generally like bars, and I'm not sure where else karaoke is done. Maybe I could go try it anyway, but you never know which songs will be available before you go.
    Yeah, there weren't that many in the selection that I wanted to take a chance on. One guy tried to sing "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" by ...who was it ? The Righteous Brothers ? He did OK, but there were times when it was obvious that he'd bitten off more than he could chew. I wouldn't have minded doing some old jump blues or swing. "Shake, Rattle and Roll" maybe. Or...I just thought of something Tallulah would like...
    YouTube - ROSEMARY CLOONEY SONGS: Blues in the Night ( Sometimes guys sing this too, and change the lyrics around a bit to suit the change - "pigtails" for "knee pants" etc.
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.