User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Do You Sing?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

I sing reasonably well. My claim to fame is one year of voice lessons (opera) and I play flute (breath control principles are identical).

My advice (to be taken with a grain of salt): Scales are your key to vocal control. They're the most efficient way to gain control and improve. Get a piano/keyboard/guitar and sing scales while playing along. This will help you hear whether or not you are in tune.
    - Sing scales slowly without vibratto to practice things like breath control, beauty of tone, and intonation
    - Sing scales fast for agility (be careful to stay in tune)
    - Sing scales in thirds (do, mi, re, fa, etc.) and other intervals

Stuff to watch out for:
    1) RELAX!!! You can't sing with a tight throat. You want to feel like you're yawning, not squeezing.
    2) When you're tired, you will probably go flat. Being flat sounds worse than being sharp, so try to be sharp when you're tired. (in case you don't know: when discussing errors of intonation, "sharp" = pitch slightly higher than it should be. "flat" = pitch slightly lower)
    3) Learn to breathe. If you're breathing into your upper chest and raising your shoulders, you're probably doing it wrong. Use your diaphragm. To find out how, lie down on the floor and take a deep breath. Your lower belly should expand. When you forcefully exhale, your lower belly should feel like it's trying to expand (abs are engaged). I hope that made sense...
    4) Always start with a warm up. Your voice is a muscle. If you don't stretch it, your chances of damaging it are much higher. You can stretch your chords by warming up with scales.

I STRONGLY recommend taking 3 or 4 voice lessons if you're serious about singing... just so you can get the basics down. Happy singing to you!

MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    WHYD'YA HAVE TO GO AND MAKE THINGS SO COMPLICATED?!

Calm down before Avril sues for ripping off her songs
    Don't hate me because you're beautiful.
    4w5

http://www.mangabullet.com/visitme/ImaginAries.png

MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix13 View Post
    I sing reasonably well. My claim to fame is one year of voice lessons (opera) and I play flute (breath control principles are identical).

My advice (to be taken with a grain of salt): Scales are your key to vocal control. They're the most efficient way to gain control and improve. Get a piano/keyboard/guitar and sing scales while playing along. This will help you hear whether or not you are in tune.
    - Sing scales slowly without vibratto to practice things like breath control, beauty of tone, and intonation
    - Sing scales fast for agility (be careful to stay in tune)
    - Sing scales in thirds (do, mi, re, fa, etc.) and other intervals

Stuff to watch out for:
    1) RELAX!!! You can't sing with a tight throat. You want to feel like you're yawning, not squeezing.
    2) When you're tired, you will probably go flat. Being flat sounds worse than being sharp, so try to be sharp when you're tired. (in case you don't know: when discussing errors of intonation, "sharp" = pitch slightly higher than it should be. "flat" = pitch slightly lower)
    3) Learn to breathe. If you're breathing into your upper chest and raising your shoulders, you're probably doing it wrong. Use your diaphragm. To find out how, lie down on the floor and take a deep breath. Your lower belly should expand. When you forcefully exhale, your lower belly should feel like it's trying to expand (abs are engaged). I hope that made sense...

I STRONGLY recommend taking 3 or 4 voice lessons if you're serious about singing... just so you can get the basics down. Happy singing to you!

Good advice. I think you explained it better than I did. It didn't occur to me to maybe explain what breathing through the diaphragm meant until I read your post. [good save, good save... lol]
    Don't hate me because you're beautiful.
    4w5

http://www.mangabullet.com/visitme/ImaginAries.png

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    567?
    Socionics
    ILE

Yes. I was in chorus and various ensembles for years, and had solos in musicals and sang the national anthem at my graduation. Now that I've ego'd out my cred....

One piece of advice for staying in tune that I tend to keep in mind, is to always try to sing on the "higher end" of the note. Always think a little higher. Not too much, obviously, but the tendency among most is to go flat. Especially when you're tired, like phoenix said.

And definitely practice a lot. It's amazing how wide your range can get with practice. And how much you can improve your air capacity/use.
    ALL AROUND THE WORLD PEOPLE EATIN' GUMBO

MBTI
    INTJ

Yes. Though I'm still kinda working on that.

Try singing along to simple riffs you make up on your guitar, after a while you should find your comfortable vocal range. That worked for me at least... good luck!
    I take no responsibility for my awful english.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotTooPopular View Post
    I can hit the F more than an octave below middle C, and I can get an octave above middle C in falsetto. I'm not sure what that makes me... I should check.
    Are you sure it's falsetto and not your real voice? You should check. Also, is that F the one just below the staff or up more? The difference in your answers will make you either a Tenor or a Baritone.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I don't sing well, but my sister (who is in university for a music degree specializing in vocal) consistently has the hugest range any conductor has ever seen.

She could sing lower than any tenor in her high school choir even though she was in charge of all the ultra-high soprano solos. And she's got gorgeous tone. I'm very jealous.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

I like to sing along songs but I'm not very good at it.
    I mostly sing by myself in a car when driving.
    It's best that not many people hear me when singing.

MBTI
    isfj

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Yeah. I ain't bad. Not Avril Lavigne good though.

i can sing! more like in a kim deal kind of way, not all fancy like beyonce and shit.
    just throw it against the wall and see what sticks.

MBTI
    INtP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I can sing okay. I don't know exactly what notes my range covers, but if I've warmed up it's more than 3 octaves. The main thing I've worked on with my music teacher is having the confidence to sing in front of others. She asks if I have perfect pitch almost every time I see her... which I don't; I can't tell between a C or a G# just from hearing a note.