User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    XNXP

Default Home Studio Electronica

A friend of mine just got this Roland 404 the other day, and was trying to describe it to me on the phone last night. I saw this Youtube vid on it just now, and it looks like it might be a blast to mess around with.

YouTube - SP404 + Guitar - SLOW GROOVE Demo Tutorial

I have a project that I would like to do if I can ever get myself a real nice portable recorder, which involves weaving spoken word and environmental captured sounds into one another, and possibly inviting some people who are more musical than I am to be adding some guitar and percussion etc., too.

The portable recorder that I want is too much $ right now. Hoping it will come down over time.

Anyone else into this stuff ?
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

I'm learning drums mostly on an electric drumset (Yamaha DD65), although I grew tired of the cymbal sounds so I'm supplementing it with some real cymbals (hihat & ride). One thing I keep meaning to try is making the PC produce the drumset's voices with custom soundfonts instead of relying on the internal synthesizer (which, while it's decent... it could always be better )
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Right now, my studio consists of nice Roland drum kit and a lot of software. I want to get a nice midi controller and then I'll be pretty set.

In a year or two I'd like to have one room just decked out in equipment and hardware. All Roland and Korg.

MBTI
    XNXP

I plan on buying one of those Korg Kaosillators.

YouTube - Kaossilator

YouTube - Kaossilator vs HeavyMetal Guitar

YouTube - Frostwave SpaceBEAM w/ Resonator and Moog Analog Delay

I wonder if this Roland 404, is the best in its "class", if that question makes any sense ? ( I have to educate myself - it seems the word "sampler" can be used to describe all kinds of things. )
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

Enneagram
    1w2

LOL, thank you Kanye West.

I was listening to a few tracks from his 808 and Heartbreak CD and was like, what's the deal with this whole 808 thing? So I went on a research frenzy and found out about the Roland TR-808. So ignorant in my hip-hop history.

Not a 404 but interesting nonetheless:

[YOUTUBE=wreP8FMupyM]Beat Balls[/YOUTUBE]
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    I plan on buying one of those Korg Kaosillators.

I wonder if this Roland 404, is the best in its "class", if that question makes any sense ? ( I have to educate myself - it seems the word "sampler" can be used to describe all kinds of things. )
    The Roland 404 sounds like a good way to go if you want a good sampler workstation, looks real fun. I probably won't be buying a sampler any time soon, I'm trying to go the software route for the most part, but that's just me.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I used to use Fruity Loops, but for the past 5-6 years I've been playing with Reason. Reason + USB keyboard will take you very far in any project. I've probably written over 1000 loops. Shit, I should put out a CD. Some of it is actually nice to listen to. Heh.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    I used to use Fruity Loops, but for the past 5-6 years I've been playing with Reason. Reason + USB keyboard will take you very far in any project. I've probably written over 1000 loops. Shit, I should put out a CD. Some of it is actually nice to listen to. Heh.
    Yeah I keep hearing about pros who use nothing but Reason and a midi controller. It's very encouraging.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Yeah I keep hearing about pros who use nothing but Reason and a midi controller. It's very encouraging.
    Reason is a really powerful program.

More powerful than communism, aj. More powerful than communism.

MBTI
    XNXP

I'll eventually get into the software side of things. I've heard about several different DAW options. I don't want to get something that is so complicated to architect properly that I end up leaving it sitting in a corner/not using it on my computer . I have an Apple computer, and I guess there are some DAW's made to make the best use of that.