User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    I'll eventually get into the software side of things. I've heard about several different DAW options. I don't want to get something that is so complicated to architect properly that I end up leaving it sitting in a corner/not using it on my computer . I have an Apple computer, and I guess there are some DAW's made to make the best use of that.
    Honestly, why not just download Reason 3.0? Hardware, imo, is a waste of time, especially if you're a beginner. Not to mention expensive.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Reason is a really powerful program.

More powerful than communism, aj. More powerful than communism.
    Well, my copy of Reason was pirated and shared. So, communism ftw.

MBTI
    XNXP

Honestly, why not just download Reason 3.0? Hardware, imo, is a waste of time, especially if you're a beginner. Not to mention expensive.
    I remember looking at Reason a few years ago, and I can't recall what made me put it on the back burner. Maybe I'll take another look at it. Is the download free ? ( Not likely. )
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    I remember looking at Reason a few years ago, and I can't recall what made me put it on the back burner. Maybe I'll take another look at it. Is the download free ? ( Not likely. )
    Do you use torrents or p2p? You can get it for free that way.

And since you have an Apple, you might want to check out Logic. My friend just got it and the interface is awesome, 10x easier to use and learn than Reason.

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Do you use torrents or p2p? You can get it for free that way.

And since you have an Apple, you might want to check out Logic. My friend just got it and the interface is awesome, 10x easier to use and learn than Reason.
    I haven't fooled with Torrents and p2p much, as I'm not the sharpest guy when it comes to security and there are supposed to be viruses or other problems associated with those some of the time. ( The "over 50" crowd's hesitations/misgivings, I know. )

Yeah, Logic was the one that the guy at Guitar Center specifically recommended for me. Some of these things are not actual full blown DAW's but just software synthesizers, I think. I get them mixed up. There's one called Ableton, too. I will want one with an extremely short learning curve when I make the move into software, for the reasons that I mentioned earlier.

I've had some others between the sites recommending I get more into Logic, too. Or get Trainwreck amps.
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Reason is a really powerful program.

More powerful than communism, aj. More powerful than communism.
    I agree. Anymore, it almost never makes sense to do anything in hardware, whether it's synth, recording, production, whatever. Software does so much more, and does it better. And the SubTractor and Thor synths in Reason have a really amazing, warm, organic sound that's better than any other software synth. Plus they're completely parametric, not sampled, so you can do lots of nice sweep/variation effects with them. Check this out (especially the vocal synth that starts about 0:45 in).

FWIW, though, the general consensus is that FL Studio (formerly Fruity Loops) is easier to use for sequencing, but Reason has better sounding synths. Of course, you can always use Rewire to control the Reason synths from FL Studio.

You'll also want to make sure you have a decent low-latency ASIO sound device (your typical consumer soundcard won't cut it - the latency will drive you crazy). I really like the Edirol UA-EX1. It's about $90 (last I checked - probably cheaper now), has good sound quality and about 2ms latency. Plus it's an external USB device, so it's easy to switch it over to your laptop when you want portability. Works great for realtime effects processing for things like guitar, too (e.g., with Guitar Rig 3).

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Well, my copy of Reason was pirated and shared. So, communism ftw.
    LOL!
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by Martoon View Post
    And the SubTractor and Thor synths in Reason have a really amazing, warm, organic sound that's better than any other software synth. Plus they're completely parametric, not sampled, so you can do lots of nice sweep/variation effects with them.
    .................................................. .................................................. ...
    You'll also want to make sure you have a decent low-latency ASIO sound device (your typical consumer soundcard won't cut it - the latency will drive you crazy). I really like the Edirol UA-EX1. It's about $90 (last I checked - probably cheaper now), has good sound quality and about 2ms latency. Plus it's an external USB device, so it's easy to switch it over to your laptop when you want portability. Works great for realtime effects processing for things like guitar, too (e.g., with Guitar Rig 3).
    ( 1. ) How are the synths in Logic ? Any opinions ?
    (2. ) Thanks for the advice about the ASIO device, as I wouldn't have known I needed that. That's probably part of the reason I haven't gone with software in the past, in addition to whatever the cost was ( price itself plus lessons from people who actually know how to use the stuff ) , is the complexity factor. How easy or difficult is it to just start making music right away ? What factors are there that I don't know about, but need to ? The Kaosillator will even help you get into the right key !!! With some of these technologies you actually need to * gulp * know what the Hell you're doing in order to even get started.... "composing". It may make more sense for people who actually have more honest-to-goodness musicianship in their background.

There is a group of people ( they were painters first ) who formed a "band" of "non-musicians" called "Fat Belly God" back towards my old neighborhood, and I eventually started hanging out with them and joining in on their "jams". These guys obviously don't take themselves very seriously ( although we've started allowing real musicians to join lately ) and it's more about having fun with our noises, rhythms, and randomly worthwhile textures.

MBTI
    ENTP

Over the years ive built up a small studio of both hardware and software devices. I bought hardware when maintaining a computer and software was not practical for me. Hardware has the advantage of having a dedicated controller for each control function. This makes the device more fun to play with. Software is easier to organize multiple projects with and is more powerful. Midi controllers are a powerful way to control software functions to make the process more fun, but isnt quite the same as a dedicated controller. Compromises, compromises. These days I mess around with my hardware synthesizer a bit, but mostly record stuff (synths, noise machines, mics, etc) through a mixer and then mess around with it in software. I don#t know if it is due to my entp nature, but i finish almost nothing. The process is however relaxing for me, so while i have invested a considerable amount into my setup, the meditation it provides is worth it to me.

The software I use is ableton live. I paid for it. Stolen tools are bad karma, and the better programs have antipiracy tricks that force any serious user to want to purchase them anyway. Ableton has a very easy learning curve and I imagine a majority of the electronic music released is produced with it. All have their pluses and minuses. Many are available at reduced prices with student discounts.

There is good news that you dont have to bootleg software to get into the game. Reaper and audacity are great pieces of software that are freely distributed. KVR is a great portal for free plugins.