• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Going, Going, Gone ?

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
For some reason I used to always confuse these three old fashioned songs. The fact that I did featured in a dream somehow recently. I wonder what tenuous thread binds them together for me ? They were all sung by either Frank Sinatra, or Bing Crosby. But I think it was more the attitude of the songs that I saw as being connected, and not the fact that a similar male voice was singing them. ( Although I have some admiration for both singers, I've never been a rabid fan of either. ) It almost seems like the songs embody a vanished culture in America, like Googie architecture or something.

Roadside Peek : Googie Central

The songs -

YouTube - Bing Crosby - Swinging On A Star - 1944

YouTube - Frank Sinatra - That's Life [from Sinatra A Man And His Music Part II]

YouTube - frank sinatra - high hopes

Ever get that feeling ? you see something and think "Not much longer for that ind of thing."

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I def. see some similarity in Swinging on a Star and High Hopes. Another similar-in-tone song would be Ac-cen-tu-ate the Positive, also by Bing.

I know what you mean--and I think the 1940s had a lot of those swinging, upbeat-themed songs partly because of the presence of WWII in everyone's lives.

Another interesting fad that I kinda dug in a retro-charm way was the 1950s nonsense/childlike songs, like Patti Page's "How Much is the Doggie in the Window?" or all those great Rosemary Clooney songs she did in a fake Italian accent, like "Mambo Italiano," "Botch-A-Me," and "Come on-a My House." And then all those Mitch Miller songs.

YouTube - Rosemary Clooney - Mambo Italiano .
YouTube - Rosemary Clooney - Come On-A My House

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
Another interesting fad that I kinda dug in a retro-charm way was the 1950s nonsense/childlike songs, like Patti Page's "How Much is the Doggie in the Window?" or all those great Rosemary Clooney songs she did in a fake Italian accent
Ha Ha. I had never seen her as a young woman. Just as an older gal on the Dick van Dyke show, where she played one of the show's writers, I think. ( Just like we always used to wonder, as kids, who Kitty Carlisle was, when she would show up on some old TV panelist line-up like she was something special. Remember the woman who would get off the airplane walkway and say "Hi, I'm Rula Lenska !" like you were supposed to know what the significance of that "celebrity" name was ? ) Rosemary had some talent and presence, too, apparently; unlike the Paris Hilton types of today.

"How much is that doggie in the window" is certainly a retro number that brings back those same kind of memories and "moodiness", like the kind of music that you'd hear in a roller skating rink. I'm thinking of how David Lynch used "Blue Velvet" in his breakout movie, and had the Roy Orbison number in there too. Also how even just the first few notes of Patsy Cline's version of "Crazy" put me back there.

And this number - YouTube - DAMASO PEREZ PRADO Patricia/El Ruletero

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Ha Ha. I had never seen her as a young woman. Just as an older gal on the Dick van Dyke show, where she played one of the show's writers, I think. ( Just like we always used to wonder, as kids, who Kitty Carlisle was, when she would show up on some old TV panelist line-up like she was something special. Remember the woman who would get off the airplane walkway and say "Hi, I'm Rula Lenska !" like you were supposed to know what the significance of that "celebrity" name was ? ) Rosemary had some talent and presence, too, apparently; unlike the Paris Hilton types of today.

"How much is that doggie in the window" is certainly a retro number that brings back those same kind of memories and "moodiness", like the kind of music that you'd hear in a roller skating rink. I'm thinking of how David Lynch used "Blue Velvet" in his breakout movie, and had the Roy Orbison number in there too. Also how even just the first few notes of Patsy Cline's version of "Crazy" put me back there.

And this number - YouTube - DAMASO PEREZ PRADO Patricia/El Ruletero

Heh--no, you're thinking of Rose Marie, who was a comedienne. Rosemary Clooney was a singer who did a few movie musicals, like "White Christmas," had a tv variety show, and later became a respected jazz singer. I always loved Rosemary Clooney's 50s era pop stuff, but I really love the jazz stuff she did later in life--she had that Johnny Cash-like talent of really stripping a song down and conveying its deeper meaning, and making it seems so effortless that you'd have believed they were just telling you a story that had come to mind.

Love Perez Prado!

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
kuranes, I think nostalgia is a mixed bag. Always better in retrospect and sometimes kewl to a generation to which it is something new and fresh.

It seems to come in twenty year cycles, fashion-wise. I can remember shopping when the hippy look came back and thinking, my gosh, this stuff people are paying big prices for which isn't nearly as well made as it was twenty-thirty years ago. And I had an attic full of the stuff!

And I think somewhere around here I told the story about in the seventies when the forties look came back in and I showed up at my mom's and she asked me why I was wearing such out-dated clothing!

As far as the roadside kitsch, I truly mourn the loss. Everyplace had its own special flavor now everyplace you go you can eat the same food in the same restaurants and see the same clothing and haircuts.

Frankly, sigh, everything I lay eyes on these days I have the thought expressed in the OP. Two seconds of mass interest and then we are on to the next big fad.

Yeah, nostaligia. The more years one racks up the better the good old days used to be.

My husband sometimes drinks coffee out of a mug which says, "I'm half as good as I used to be, but I'm twice as good as I'm going to be." Hee.

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
Heh--no, you're thinking of Rose Marie, who was a comedienne. Rosemary Clooney was a singer who did a few movie musicals, like "White Christmas," had a tv variety show, and later became a respected jazz singer. I always loved Rosemary Clooney's 50s era pop stuff, but I really love the jazz stuff she did later in life--she had that Johnny Cash-like talent of really stripping a song down and conveying its deeper meaning, and making it seems so effortless that you'd have believed they were just telling you a story that had come to mind.
Wow. You're right. I guess I never knew Rosemary. Somehow in all these years, I never came across her. Her background sounds a little bit like another songstress that I liked - Anita O'Day. I guess George Clooney is Rosemary's nephew. No word, though, on what connection Rose Marie had, if any. :)

I see Rosemary's son is Miguel Ferrer, the actor, who also plays the drums. ( He reminds me of that guy who played "My Favorite Martian" with Bill Bixby, for some reason. )
2lkdxqa.jpg

kuranes, I think nostalgia is a mixed bag. Always better in retrospect ....
Well, we couldn't have nostalgia for the future, and so we're kinda stuck having to look at it in retrospect. ;)
It seems to come in twenty year cycles, fashion-wise. I can remember shopping when the hippy look came back and thinking, my gosh, this stuff people are paying big prices for which isn't nearly as well made as it was twenty-thirty years ago. And I had an attic full of the stuff!

And I think somewhere around here I told the story about in the seventies when the forties look came back in and I showed up at my mom's and she asked me why I was wearing such out-dated clothing!
:) My Mom used to talk to me as a kid about guys wearing "zoot suits", and one day, decades later, as an adult, I got to see one, as they had come back around in fashion briefly. Heh.

As far as the roadside kitsch, I truly mourn the loss. Everyplace had its own special flavor now everyplace you go you can eat the same food in the same restaurants and see the same clothing and haircuts.
A couple years ago I was talking to someone who lived outside of London about his first trip into that city in a long time, and so I mentioned that I was a tad jealous of his coming opportunities to see the old ivy covered bookshops and antiquarian places or coffee houses etc. He told me that they were all gone now. Replaced by chain stores like Starbucks and the other well known franchises. I had naively thought that Europe was spared this transformation. Or that they wouldn't stand for it, or something.

Speaking of London, I saw a James Bond movie last night. I remembered the first time I had seen it, as a little boy with my Dad. Funny to see it with adult eyes, after all this time. I wonder if they will someday have the now elderly Connery play a villain in the series ? :)