• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

List of #1 Singles in the UK 90's - Hilarious

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
To be fair it's mainly 12 year old girls that buy singles, so I don't think it has anything to do with English, Welsh, Scottish or Irish cultural preferences.

Hey Ed, see this:

Muppets.jpg

That's you, that is. :yes:

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
^ Interesting. These must be the "uppitty muppets" whom you alluded to earlier. They certainly appear to combine the two qualities very sucessfully ;)

ed111

MBTI Type
INTJ
Hey Ed, see this:

That's you, that is. :yes:

That was the worst line anyone's ever used against me....

Well, it wasn't that bad...

I suppose it was quite good...

It was the best...

More... More!

I love those guys. One of my best friends used to call me a crumudgeon, so I suppose you're right.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Hmm so it wouldn't be good then to state that I actually like and have hunted down three of the tracks mentioned... mental note made...

dga

MBTI Type
ENTP
1990:

Vanilla Ice - "Ice Ice Baby"
1 December for 4 weeks

Nothing, but nothing could possibly have been more obscene than this. At least most appalling hit songs are relatively forgettable. (I can forget them at any rate; even those revolting productions by the Spice Girls are now the dim and distant shade of a nightmare with no further power to harm me.) But THIS excruciating pile of suppurating, vacuous horseshit by a middle-class white wannabe rapper will torture me till the day I die for one reason and one reason only. This reason is *Na nanaa, na nana nana* - "Ice, Ice, BABY." It should actually be a capital crime to play this song.

I loved the parody Jim Carrey did of it on In Living Color.

To be fair, teh song is a bit of a rip off of Queen's Under Pressure, so it cant be totally horrible. The chorus is not particularly brilliant, but pop music choruses never are. The beatles got away with "she loves me, yeah, yeah, yeah," which is not much more creative.

ed111

MBTI Type
INTJ
I used to think this too, but I asked both my teenage nieces back when they were around 12 whether they listened to *give examples of whatever is at the top of the the charts*... *cue distraught facial expressions, wails of "NOOOOO!"*. I think the kids buying this crap are mostly even younger than that except for the socially/developmentally delayed ones. My experience from working with them suggests that the most important demographic otherwise is Special *ahem* adults. Oh, and there's a certain sort of British (or maybe as you suggest, Bluemonday, English ;)) male in his late teens or twenties who buys the annoying novelty singles (eg Crazy Frog:sick:) to demonstrate his true lameness to all amuse his friends with his inventive wit. I suspect that these three groups by themselves are more than capable of fuelling chart singles sales of, umm, what was it again...? <<<<<<<<<<< than they used to be, that's for sure.

From Music sales: by age, 2002: Social Trends 34

Music sales: by age, 2002: Social Trends 34

Listening to music is another popular leisure activity. In 2002, record companies sold over 225 million albums in the United Kingdom. Even though sales of LPs and cassettes decreased, CD sales continued to increase, with 3 million more CDs sold in 2002 than in the previous year. Fifty seven per cent of people aged 12 to 74 purchased at least one album in 2002, whereas 16 per cent purchased at least one single. Singles were more popular with teenagers than with any other age group. Thirty eight per cent of 12 to 19 year olds bought a single in 2002, compared with 15 to 18 per cent of those aged 20 to 49, and 5 per cent of those aged 60 to 74. Album sales were more uniform among people aged between 12 and 49. The Audio Visual Trak Survey also indicated that women spent more on singles and al...

Office for National Statistics (ONS), Contact: +44 (0)845 601 3034

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
From Music sales: by age, 2002: Social Trends 34

Music sales: by age, 2002: Social Trends 34

Listening to music is another popular leisure activity. In 2002, record companies sold over 225 million albums in the United Kingdom. Even though sales of LPs and cassettes decreased, CD sales continued to increase, with 3 million more CDs sold in 2002 than in the previous year. Fifty seven per cent of people aged 12 to 74 purchased at least one album in 2002, whereas 16 per cent purchased at least one single. Singles were more popular with teenagers than with any other age group. Thirty eight per cent of 12 to 19 year olds bought a single in 2002, compared with 15 to 18 per cent of those aged 20 to 49, and 5 per cent of those aged 60 to 74. Album sales were more uniform among people aged between 12 and 49. The Audio Visual Trak Survey also indicated that women spent more on singles and al...

Office for National Statistics (ONS), Contact: +44 (0)845 601 3034

I concurr with Bluemonday ^^^^:)