• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Electronic music production

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Is anyone else here into electronic music production? Do you use hardware or software or both? What programs and equipment do you use?

Right now I'm mainly using FL Studio, but I've been messing around with Reason. But I want to get an iMac and use Logic, a really nice program. For sounds I use a lot of Soundfonts, but want to start using more VSTi's. I have a Roland V6 electronic drum kit, which I like, but I still usually program the drums manually.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
no...but i love it so...i'll have to check out your link i guess :)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ooohhh...it just started but sounds very cool!

sleeptowin

MBTI Type
INTJ
Yes. I run Buzz on a Linux system. Believe it or not, it actually works pretty well. What's even more amazing is that Buzz, which is native to windows, runs better under wine in Linux. Though I'd prefer to use hardware synthesizers and sequencers, it's more fun that way, in my opinion at least.

(Though honestly, I prefer instruments with mechanical oscillators rather than their electronic counterparts, but still, messing around with sequencers and synthesizers is a lot of fun).

Permabanned
Yes. :rock:
:party2:

I want to get myself a Reactable
o277pz9

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm having a hard time mixing my tracks properly. I know there's no "right way," but there still kind of is, and I can't seem to get my tracks to sound organic and fluid. The tracks sound good when I formulate them in my head and I have a pretty good idea of how I want the finished product to sound. It might be that I lack a good set of monitor speakers or headphones but it really isn't in my budget at the moment.

Would appreciate some advice or feedback. This is the most recent track I've been working on:

Intergalactic Cruise Ship [Rough Mix] by Xenodroid | Free Listening on SoundCloud

I'm trying to get out of the trap of just repeating the same loops over and over, like I would do on my earlier tracks, as it sounded redundant and too mechanical and lifeless. I try to add some variation in the loops to give a sense of life (for instance, I alternate between two separate loops for the snare and kick track on this song), and I like to record some of the "instruments" live against playback of the rhythm tracks, then go back and tweak the "live" tracks or line them up where necessary. The organ track was recorded "live" then I went back and chopped it up, taking my favorite sections and rearranging them. Sometimes I think recording and arranging against a grid in a DAW can limit electronic producers as they want to make their music sound too "perfect" and syncopated.

I think I made the bass too loud.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
help a bro out with some mixing feedback

Mix it where it sounds good. jajaja just playing my man

Mixing is such an intuitive process, but it's a good rule of thumb that vocals are heard more clearly than everything else.

It also really depends on the genre of the song, for instance EDM the bass needs to have a large priority.

Really just don't overthink it.

- - - Updated - - -

LIVE 10 IS COMING WHATS UP
^
|

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Mix it where it sounds good. jajaja just playing my man

Mixing is such an intuitive process, but it's a good rule of thumb that vocals are heard more clearly than everything else.

It also really depends on the genre of the song, for instance EDM the bass needs to have a large priority.

Really just don't overthink it.

- - - Updated - - -

LIVE 10 IS COMING WHATS UP
^
|

Vocals aren’t an issue for me, I make instrumental music

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Vocals aren’t an issue for me, I make instrumental music

But as a possibility. Or you can always use a vocoder. You don't even need to sing good to make vocal tracks anymore