User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Herman Hesse

MBTI
    XNXP

Default Herman Hesse

I remember enjoying some of his books when I was just entering university. Anybody else like him ? Which were your favorite books ?
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    INTP

Well, I only read Steppenwolf so far and it certainly clicked with me. I do want to read some of his other stuff when I get the chance.
    I know a girl, she's one of a kind
    But the poor little thing, she's going out of her mind
    There's something you forgot - there's a reason why she's lost
    Cos baby she don't want to be found

MBTI
    XNXP

I enjoyed that one a lot. Also "Siddhartha" and "Demian".

Did you identify with the main character of the story or with someone else ?
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

MBTI
    INTP

Definitely the main character. The frustration of feeling alienated and the fact that he COULD enjoy life but he was holding himself back from it because of past experiences that left him disillusioned. Also feeling "out of time", born in the entirely wrong era.

MBTI
    XNXP

I wonder if the rock group Steppenwolf named themselves after that ? Hesse's original ambition was to be a painter, but he eventually turned to writing. One of his books has a painter as the main character. I can't remember which one. "Rosshalde" maybe ? I thought of Charlie Parker and Rahsaan Roland Kirk when I read the part about the horn player. That was an unusual segment of the book, where he is being taught through strange experiences. I thought of it later when reading John Fowles' "The Magus" and when Carlos Castaneda was being put through his paces by Don Juan.

MBTI
    INTP

I've only read Siddhartha, and I really fuckin liked it.

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Wilson View Post
    Also feeling "out of time", born in the entirely wrong era.
    Like H.P. Lovecraft ?

Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    I've only read Siddhartha, and I really fuckin liked it.
    Was it this book that got you interested in "enlightenment" ? Or something else like "The Razor's Edge" ?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    Was it this book that got you interested in "enlightenment" ? Or something else like "The Razor's Edge" ?
    Nah. I actually only read it a couple months ago. I haven't even heard of "the Razor's Edge," what's that? Really I have no idea how I got interested in enlightenment. It was a very gradual thing so I can't even remember when I first heard about it.

In Siddhartha, I really like the metaphor of the river. It's interesting cause one time after (and I mean after the trip was over) I took shrooms about a year ago, I saw something which I later referred to as "the river." I just think that a river is an awesome analogy for this magic that runs through everything. Not that I've been able to re-create it or anything

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    I haven't even heard of "the Razor's Edge," what's that? ............................................
    In Siddhartha, I really like the metaphor of the river.
    "The Razor's Edge" is a book and it was made into a movie at least once, about a Western guy who decides he needs to seek enlightenment.

I enjoyed the river metaphor, too.

I wonder if Terence McKenna read it also ? Or Alan Watts ?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    Like H.P. Lovecraft ?
    Ya know, I was thinking to myself just last night... ten years ago my interests, taste in music and preference of clothing made me quite the target of ridicule and torment. Now they're all, in some way or another, acceptable parts of popular culture.

I also find myself growing evermore displeased with technology compared to my previous fascinations with it. People are making life far too complex for their own good.