User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which applies to you more?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Individual Songs!

11 47.83%
  • Albums!

12 52.17%
  • Meh.

0 0%
First 12

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    It depends on the album. Some clearly had a lot of thought put into the sequence of the songs. Some are just thrown together. I love an album that's more than the sum of it's parts. The songs all flow together and it's epic. But that's rarer than a catchy song.
    I can deal with albums that are just sums of parts, if the parts are great. I'd rather listen to a Greatest Hits compilation than a good album that has skip-over tracks. It definitely depends on the artist. Like, I love The Buzzcocks, but Singles Going Steady is the only full album I would play, because it's a hit parade. No filler at all. With an album like Suede's Dog Man Star, however, you really have to listen to the whole thing to get the full impression of what is going on, even though there are a couple of obvious singles. Entire albums of great songs are so rare nowadays, though, and MP3s so convenient, that I find myself listening to my music collection as one gigantic, schizophrenic radio station of just great songs. It's a good soundtrack to my life.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I like to listen to whole albums even if they aren't really specially arranged or anything. It lets me try to figure out patterns in the artist's music, and how one song compares to another in the order. I will be stuck on one album for ages, though, 'til I never want to listen to it again.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTJ

I prefer albums by far. I had a period where I almost exclusively listened to classical music and I learned to listen to complete works, instead of just movements, and since I have always listened to the complete work, mostly meaning the album, instead of just songs. The whole is indeed greater than the sum of its parts.

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    There's the rub! How many 12-, 13-, 14-song and 60-minute albums are truly great?
    I think your knowledge on such music might be rather slim. The progressive metal band Opeth has released 9 studio albums, and the average song length is close to 10 minutes, and they must be the most consistent band of the 90s and 00s. Every release is very strong, with a couple of masterpieces as well as Blackwater Park and Still Life. As far as even longer songs goes, a couple of albums comes to mind indeed. You have many progressive rock classics from the 70s, like for example the one song album Thick as a Brick by Jethro Tull. There is so much from that period... Modern examples could be the album Crimson by Edge of Sanity, consisting of one 40 minutes song. You also have Light of Day, Day of Darkness by Green Carnation, consisting of one 60 minutes song. The EP I by Meshuggah is also just one song that is 21 minutes long. All of these are acclaimed.
    "Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius." - Wolfgang Amadé Mozart

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Individual songs... I only listen to what i perceive as motherfucking brilliant.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Noel View Post
    Taken from the thread NFs and music, I think this question warrants a new thread.

Here is my theory: I think the listener can break down music into two camps: pleasure and art. The former, constitutes individual songs from a particular album. Lets say a catchy pop song that you like listening to while dancing. Nothing wrong with listening to particular songs-I do it too. The latter on the other hand, constitutes every song on a particular album. Why? Certainly all the songs are pretty good for starters but then you begin to think that perhaps these songs are interwoven in a particular way (an explicit example being song order). Lets say Chopin's Nocturnes that you enjoy while contemplating.

In essence, I think people that exclusively have individual songs rather than albums are missing out on a big part of music: its composition as a whole.
    Your theory might not be broad enough, but I see where you're going with the concept.
    I hate to be accused of being less than an appreciator of art simply because I can't stand all the work of a particular artist.

I owned about 100 albums when I was a teen and I have to say there were very few from which I enjoyed every song - probably none from which I enjoyed every song. There may have been a few from which I enjoyed most of the songs from, but most of the time I felt like I got ripped off for spending all that money on an album when I only liked a few of the songs. For that reason, I started collecting "Greatest Hits" albums.
    I much preferred collecting individual songs (which were on 45's in those days).

I am not a fan of the artists; I am a fan of great songs.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Splittet View Post
    I think your knowledge on such music might be rather slim. The progressive metal band Opeth has released 9 studio albums, and the average song length is close to 10 minutes, and they must be the most consistent band of the 90s and 00s. Every release is very strong, with a couple of masterpieces as well as Blackwater Park and Still Life. As far as even longer songs goes, a couple of albums comes to mind indeed. You have many progressive rock classics from the 70s, like for example the one song album Thick as a Brick by Jethro Tull. There is so much from that period... Modern examples could be the album Crimson by Edge of Sanity, consisting of one 40 minutes song. You also have Light of Day, Day of Darkness by Green Carnation, consisting of one 60 minutes song. The EP I by Meshuggah is also just one song that is 21 minutes long. All of these are acclaimed.
    I am not as familiar with power metal/progressive metal, no. I was purposefully leaving out jazz, classical, and experimental music, because they don't really do "singles" the same way as pop/rock music. If it comes in suites and movements, then, of course, it would be albums. A band like Jethro Tull were all right in the early-1970s, but never a top 10 rock band during the heyday, IMHO. I love Zappa, Can, King Crimson, etc. I actually got to see Damo Suzuki last year, which was very cool.

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    There's the rub! How many 12-, 13-, 14-song and 60-minute albums are truly great?
    This is in the eye of the beholder, of course, and this beholder has about 100 albums and counting that I can listen to start to finish and enjoy the whole way through with few exceptions. Of the exceptions, I might skip one song of the 12+ if it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Some albums have a few flashes of true greatness and then the rest is still at least pretty good, making it at least fun to listen to, even if it isn't truely great. The amount of truly great albums is definitely low, and to get a collection of truly great albums you have to look at all kinds of musical genres. But after the truly great albums come the albums that are still pretty damn good even if they arn't the best and most great.

I don't mind listening to individual songs at all, but if there is an entire album of great stuff, why not listen to the whole thing? Because of the internet, I can research the music I buy extensively, so I rarely buy an album and regret it.

By the way, another great example of singles-based acts that went on to make great albums is Marvin Gaye.

My favourite album ever is probably Are You Experienced? by Jimi Hendrix. Everything on it, song for song, is amazing and I never get tired of it.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Marvin's album-length work was hit-or-miss, though. Even What's Going On, which is awesome, has three knockout singles and some slightly lesser material. Stevie Wonder had a better transition, I think. Still, Motown is perhaps the ultimate singles machine, and I think people appreciate that.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    567?
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    It depends on the album. Some clearly had a lot of thought put into the sequence of the songs. Some are just thrown together. I love an album that's more than the sum of it's parts. The songs all flow together and it's epic. But that's rarer than a catchy song.
    I agree with this.

I tend to like the long haul of an album. I like it when the songs taken as a whole form a larger picture, and when each individual song is a microcosm of this awesome whole. Even when I don't like all of the songs on an album, I feel like song-skipping is some sort of copout .
    ALL AROUND THE WORLD PEOPLE EATIN' GUMBO