User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Texas Hold 'em

MBTI
    istp

Default Texas Hold 'em

I was pleasantly surprised to find this: http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...muth-entj.html

and thought this awesome game deserved a thread here

ive been playing ~9 months and 200,000 hands, and about 16k black, although ive been running about 50/50 bad nights the past couple months... totally addicted!

anyone else play this? whats your style, what blinds do you usually play, etc?

MBTI
    INTJ

I just started playing. No where even approaching that ^

It's awesome, though...but I'm a total noob and the more I learn the more stupid I feel.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I enjoy casually playing. I don't have a good poker face, and I pretty much always assume everyone else has awesome hands in comparison to mine so I'm not very good either I suppose! But it is a great game I played a lot in Iraq.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFP

INTPc has a great Texas Hold'em resource you may wish to browse.
    I may be bested in battle, but I shall never be defeated.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    I've played it. Dunno what a "blind" is though. Mostly I just play with my family on our card nights. I try to play it safe and I try to get a read on people to guess what they have. To someone who is an astute facial expression observer, I do not have a very good poker face. There will always be a millisecond-long flash of triumph or caution depending on the hand I get, and if someone is quick enough to catch it, they can get me in trouble.

Sometimes, and I picked this up from my brother, I'll do something outrageous and try to throw people off by suddenly being aggressive when I have a crappy hand.

It's a fun game. I usually come off second best.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    I was pleasantly surprised to find this: http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...muth-entj.html

and thought this awesome game deserved a thread here

ive been playing ~9 months and 200,000 hands, and about 16k black, although ive been running about 50/50 bad nights the past couple months... totally addicted!

What type of games & blinds do you play?
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEE

Its my favorite gambling game.

Because you can't spell "Slaughter" without "Laughter"

MBTI
    InFp
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFj

I haven't played in a few years, but I was always a rather tight player. I'd play anything connected, or if I just had good feeling on my hole cards. Queen 8 off suit has done wonders for me in the past.

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrielle View Post
    I've played it. Dunno what a "blind" is though. Mostly I just play with my family on our card nights. I try to play it safe and I try to get a read on people to guess what they have. To someone who is an astute facial expression observer, I do not have a very good poker face. There will always be a millisecond-long flash of triumph or caution depending on the hand I get, and if someone is quick enough to catch it, they can get me in trouble.
    a blind is like a scaled, rotating, partial-handed ante. while in many games of poker, and at higher levels of hold 'em tournaments, there is an 'ante' which is a set amount each player contributes to the pot to get the action started, a blind is only put in by two players... one large, and one small (usually half as big). each hand the order of play rotates clockwise, which means the player who puts in the blinds moves over one.

over time everyone has to put in the same blinds, and just like ante it is used to instigate action. if there was nothing in the pot to fight over, then people would only wait for the best hand.

in advanced play, there are multiple levels of thinking... what you think they think you have, what you think they think you think they have, etc. there are tells and sells (fake tell), bluffs and semi-bluffs, represented bluffs, represented big hands... and math behind everything from your cards vs your opponents, the board, the cards to come and the betting that will ensue.

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    What type of games & blinds do you play?
    anywhere between 4-8 to 10-20, but quite a bit of 1-2 because it's less mentally exhausting. at the higher blinds i play, i am on an even skill level with my opponents and it's far more difficult. i play the low blinds when i want to relax with a soft game.

i play mostly cash, although i have placed in most of the tournaments ive played.

MBTI
    xxxx

I play tournaments because then the idiots who play Q-8 off are knocked out early and you don't have to deal with them sucking out on you.

Just winning money isn't much of a thrill for me. The middle stages of a tournament are the best for strategic play so I enjoy that.