User Tag List

First 123412 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 314

Thread: Hockey?

  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by targo View Post
    you do know that more than 75% of all NHL players are Canadian and that only a very small percentage makes up actual American players?
    True, there are also a lot of European players in the NHL as well, I'd guess there are more Europeans from Sweden, Finland, Russia, and the Czech Republic than U.S.-born players. Of course, there are several NHL players who were born in Canada and overseas, but become U.S. citizens later on. So I tend to think of them as "Canadian-born" players instead of simply Canadian.

    ETA - I believe the last two first NHL draft picks were both American-born, however. Times may be changing.

  2. #12
    Junior Member Eicr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by targo View Post
    you do know that more than 75% of all NHL players are Canadian and that only a very small percentage makes up actual American players?
    if this wasnt directed at me then ignore me. Anyway, its not so much about the player base as much as that there is no team representing two major Canadian cities, when many American cities have teams that are loosing money and no one cares about (like phoenix or tampa bay). I think that if your city cant yield a proper outdoor rink, you shouldnt really have a team (of course i dont actually think that way, but such statements are fun to make. The truth is, the LA Kings saved hockey financially in the 90's)

  3. #13
    On a mission Usehername's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by targo View Post
    you do know that more than 75% of all NHL players are Canadian and that only a very small percentage makes up actual American players?
    last stanley cup, although it was a canadian team playing an american team, a ridiculous percentage of the Ducks' players were Canadian. And so, you could be "more loyal" to your country by rooting for the Ducks. (they had 3 Europeans and 4 Americans and the entire rest of the team was Canadian.)
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eicr View Post
    if this wasnt directed at me then ignore me. Anyway, its not so much about the player base as much as that there is no team representing two major Canadian cities, when many American cities have teams that are loosing money and no one cares about (like phoenix or tampa bay). I think that if your city cant yield a proper outdoor rink, you shouldnt really have a team (of course i dont actually think that way, but such statements are fun to make. The truth is, the LA Kings saved hockey financially in the 90's)

    Oh come now...we Floridians need to have our teams, if only to cheer on our hometown teams when they come to visit! Many of us were raised elsewhere - where there are Original 6 teams like Boston, Chicago, Detroit

  5. #15
    Junior Member Eicr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    18

    Default

    yeah, perfect reason why you guys get a team and we dont! *grumble grumble grumble* Im actually not that upset, I dont much care for hockey, but it is a little embarassing that Winnipeg doesnt have an NHL team.

  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eicr View Post
    yeah, perfect reason why you guys get a team and we dont! *grumble grumble grumble* Im actually not that upset, I dont much care for hockey, but it is a little embarassing that Winnipeg doesnt have an NHL team.
    Not one, but two teams - the Panthers and Lightning.

    I agree that there needs to be better representation in Canada, though the arguments I've heard revolve around NHL-level hockey not being all that profitable in Canada (unsure of the veracity of that claim.) With the talk of possibly moving the Predator team to Hamilton, I think a team in Winnipeg would make more sense.

  7. #17
    Junior Member Eicr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Everything Ive heard is that aside from a few american cities like detroit and NY (the pitsburgh with Crosby there), Canada is pretty much the only place an NHL team can be profitable

  8. #18

    Default

    Most NHL franchises are profitable, the exceptions being new-ish teams in the warm weather areas of the US like the Nashville Predators and the Atlanta Thrashers. The reason that Canadian teams struggle financially compared to American teams is that player salaries are negotiated in US dollars. So Canadian teams received revenues in Canadian dollars but paid out salaries in the more valuable US dollars. Of course, with recent changes in the currency markets, this disadvantage has disappeared, so perhaps another Canadian team is now a more viable idea.

  9. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    Most NHL franchises are profitable, the exceptions being new-ish teams in the warm weather areas of the US like the Nashville Predators and the Atlanta Thrashers. The reason that Canadian teams struggle financially compared to American teams is that player salaries are negotiated in US dollars. So Canadian teams received revenues in Canadian dollars but paid out salaries in the more valuable US dollars. Of course, with recent changes in the currency markets, this disadvantage has disappeared, so perhaps another Canadian team is now a more viable idea.
    Yes, I think now it's a level playing field in that sense. However, I think there's also a population component as well. Canada isn't nearly as densely populated as the United States. The Canadian cities simply don't have the concentrated population that the US cities do - Winnipeg has about 700,000 people, whereas the Miami area is around 7 million, Tampa 2.5 million, etc. It's justification for putting teams in large American cities - but doesn't mean that teams in Canada (where many people live and breathe for hockey) won't be successful.

  10. #20
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    I think Seattle deserves a team over a city like Nashville or Atlanta.

Similar Threads

  1. World Cup of Hockey
    By mooseantlers in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-03-2016, 09:09 PM
  2. Sidney Crosby (hockey)
    By Forever_Jung in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-08-2011, 03:36 PM
  3. Brendan Burke (son of Leafs GM Brian and first openly gay hockey person) dies
    By Usehername in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-07-2010, 11:06 PM
  4. Hockey
    By LadyJaye in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 248
    Last Post: 06-30-2009, 04:15 AM
  5. MBTIc Fantasy Hockey League?
    By nottaprettygal in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-04-2008, 01:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO