User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Apocalypto

Default Apocalypto

I saw Mel Gibson's Apocalypto last night and I was dreaming of heads falling down the plank all night. The movie was excellent but it was so freakin' violent. I knew the movie was going to be extreme right after the first scene when that Ancient Maya Man eats the balls of the oxen. God damn.

Kidding aside, let's discuss this movie about the collapse of the Maya Empire. I understand that Mel Gibson's use of the ancient Maya culture is a metaphor for his vision of today's world. Your thoughts?

MBTI
    type

Do we get to discuss the Mayan predictions of 2012?
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Zhash View Post
    I saw Mel Gibson's Apocalypto last night and I was dreaming of heads falling down the plank all night. The movie was excellent but it was so freakin' violent. I knew the movie was going to be extreme right after the first scene when that Ancient Maya Man eats the balls of the oxen. God damn.
    Oh dear. My copy from Blockbusters has been sitting downstairs for a week now, and I really need to watch it and get it back... was thinking about starting it tonight.

Considering my mood lately, though, perhaps Apocalypto might be my "Feel Good Movie of the Year!"
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Oh dear. My copy from Blockbusters has been sitting downstairs for a week now, and I really need to watch it and get it back... was thinking about starting it tonight.

Considering my mood lately, though, perhaps Apocalypto might be my "Feel Good Movie of the Year!"
    It will certainly be a good diversion to get anyone out of a funk.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Zhash View Post
    It will certainly be a good diversion to get anyone out of a funk.
    They don't talk English, do they?

And I'm betting I don't even get subtitles.

(I see a trend here. I wonder Gibson's next movie will be -- a biopic of Helen Keller, where there's nothing but a black screen to look at?)

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

I have been meaning to see it due to my lingering interest in the Mayas, but the graphic violence I keep hearing about makes me most hesitant.

(I see a trend here. I wonder Gibson's next movie will be -- a biopic of Helen Keller, where there's nothing but a black screen to look at?)
    It will be the first film... (unnecessary pause) ...to win every single Academy Award®

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Ashi, K? View Post
    It will be the first film (unnecessary pause) to win every single Academy Award
    well.... except for the ones for sound editing and cinematography.

well.... except for the ones for sound editing and cinematography.
    Do not foolishly underestimate the power of... THE GIBSON.

If I can be serious for a second. One could attempt to use alternate visuals to communicate emotions and such rather than colour, shape, location, etc.

That is, if that one is... THE GIBSON

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

We watched it tonight. Well, my Hubby watched and I listened. Very violent, very noisy, people dying all over the place...not my bag at all. Hubby, of course, loved it. He was then off to bed, saying he was going to dream about running through the jungle.
    Last edited by PuddleRiver; 07-08-2007 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Adding (memory loss) (menopause)
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by AllAboutSoul View Post
    We watched it tonight. Well, my Hubby watched and I listened. Very violent, very noisy, people dying all over the place...not my bag at all. Hubby, of course, loved it. He was then off to bed, saying he was going to dream about running through the jungle.
    Is he going to wear a speedo?

(I hope he does not come home from work today with a bone through his nose.)

I watched half, just past the point where Momma in the well used the old true-and-tried ant-head band-aid trick to suture Junior's wounds, and then it was 1am and I decided it was time to go to sleep...

I wonder if things get worse. So far, the violence didn't seem too awful compared to other things I've seen.

Artistically, the movie is very interesting, and I like how it is shot and the sound editing. It was a little heart-breaking to see the young girl call out over the river about how she'll take care of all of the other children, trying to reassure the captive parents; she's very strong, but it'll also change her (and not in all good ways) for life...

The culture also still seemed a little too westernized (i.e., a western culture at core, with only heavy cosmetic changes to emulate a tribal culture) to be too authentic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashi, K? View Post
    Do not foolishly underestimate the power of... THE GIBSON.
    Uggh, you make him sound like a large monkey.

Then again, he DOES have a lot of hair...