• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Apocalypto

Zhash

I saw Mel Gibson's Apocalypto last night and I was dreaming of heads falling down the plank all night. The movie was excellent but it was so freakin' violent. I knew the movie was going to be extreme right after the first scene when that Ancient Maya Man eats the balls of the oxen. God damn.

Kidding aside, let's discuss this movie about the collapse of the Maya Empire. I understand that Mel Gibson's use of the ancient Maya culture is a metaphor for his vision of today's world. Your thoughts?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I saw Mel Gibson's Apocalypto last night and I was dreaming of heads falling down the plank all night. The movie was excellent but it was so freakin' violent. I knew the movie was going to be extreme right after the first scene when that Ancient Maya Man eats the balls of the oxen. God damn.

Oh dear. My copy from Blockbusters has been sitting downstairs for a week now, and I really need to watch it and get it back... was thinking about starting it tonight.

Considering my mood lately, though, perhaps Apocalypto might be my "Feel Good Movie of the Year!"

Zhash

Oh dear. My copy from Blockbusters has been sitting downstairs for a week now, and I really need to watch it and get it back... was thinking about starting it tonight.

Considering my mood lately, though, perhaps Apocalypto might be my "Feel Good Movie of the Year!"

It will certainly be a good diversion to get anyone out of a funk.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It will certainly be a good diversion to get anyone out of a funk.

They don't talk English, do they?

And I'm betting I don't even get subtitles.

(I see a trend here. I wonder Gibson's next movie will be -- a biopic of Helen Keller, where there's nothing but a black screen to look at?)

Quiesce

I have been meaning to see it due to my lingering interest in the Mayas, but the graphic violence I keep hearing about makes me most hesitant.

(I see a trend here. I wonder Gibson's next movie will be -- a biopic of Helen Keller, where there's nothing but a black screen to look at?)

It will be the first film... (unnecessary pause) ...to win every single Academy Award®

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It will be the first film (unnecessary pause) to win every single Academy Award

well.... except for the ones for sound editing and cinematography. :party2:

Quiesce

well.... except for the ones for sound editing and cinematography. :party2:

Do not foolishly underestimate the power of... THE GIBSON.

If I can be serious for a second. One could attempt to use alternate visuals to communicate emotions and such rather than colour, shape, location, etc.

That is, if that one is... THE GIBSON

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
We watched it tonight. Well, my Hubby watched and I listened. Very violent, very noisy, people dying all over the place...not my bag at all. Hubby, of course, loved it. He was then off to bed, saying he was going to dream about running through the jungle.

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
We watched it tonight. Well, my Hubby watched and I listened. Very violent, very noisy, people dying all over the place...not my bag at all. Hubby, of course, loved it. He was then off to bed, saying he was going to dream about running through the jungle.

Is he going to wear a speedo?

(I hope he does not come home from work today with a bone through his nose.)

I watched half, just past the point where Momma in the well used the old true-and-tried ant-head band-aid trick to suture Junior's wounds, and then it was 1am and I decided it was time to go to sleep...

I wonder if things get worse. So far, the violence didn't seem too awful compared to other things I've seen.

Artistically, the movie is very interesting, and I like how it is shot and the sound editing. It was a little heart-breaking to see the young girl call out over the river about how she'll take care of all of the other children, trying to reassure the captive parents; she's very strong, but it'll also change her (and not in all good ways) for life...

The culture also still seemed a little too westernized (i.e., a western culture at core, with only heavy cosmetic changes to emulate a tribal culture) to be too authentic.

Do not foolishly underestimate the power of... THE GIBSON.

Uggh, you make him sound like a large monkey.

Then again, he DOES have a lot of hair...

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, I finished this movie last night.

Aside from that frisky jaguar chewing off that nasty Aztec warrior's face, the violence really did not seem very extreme to me. "The Bludgeoning of the Christ" was definitely far worse and gruesome.

I hope this does not mean I am some sort of desensitized psychopathic killer or anything.

My opinion of the movie? Probably a three-star movie (out of four). Well-done, good acting, nice sound and visual imagery... but the story was a little flat and simplistic, and the ending left something to be desired... it felt like a "Darn, I guess we should just end it here...?" denouement. Just not as much driving purpose/passion to it.

sundowning

MBTI Type
ISTP
Saw it a couple times, great flick.

I just like watching that guy run through the jungle - pretty awesome even though it doesn't sound like it.

Sahara

MBTI Type
INFP
I loved this film, but was horrified at how gruesome it was. I'm not into blood guts and gore, and considering it was based on a real life belief system in which they did used to sacrifice people with no compassion whatsoever, I found it quite a distressing reminder of how much I dislike humanity on the whole.

I found myself distressed through the whole film on an emotional level, certainly made me cry a few times, I gave it a 10 out of 10, and added it to my collection of watch again films. :D

Sona

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTJ
This movie was funny, I was tipsy and I could see was naked men running around, and I kept saying to my mate "wtf is this? its gay" watched half it couldn't get myself to watch the rest.