• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Favourite painters

Noel

MBTI Type
INFP
Gallen_Kallela_The_Forging_of_the_Sampo.jpg

Akseli Gallen-Kallela - The Forging of the Sampo

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
My favourite Velásquez is the portrait of the pope Innocent X only because Francis Bacon was obsessed by it, which influenced him to paint his pope series based on Velásquez's model:

I'm such a pseudo-art-professor.

You're just a pretentious fuck.

But honestly, that is very interesting. I love that painting. I do confess to being a little bored with conceptual art. I go for something depicted well and in a singular manner over concept every time.

Nihilen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
I'm interested in all of them, I'm very open-minded when it comes to art, my interests keep shifting, from figurative to conceptual to abstract etc.

Except for aesthetic decorative crap, it's repulsive and nauseating.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
hieronymus bosch, who i would have said even if synarch hadn't posted his most recent pic

Gruen.jpg

remedios varo

expl.jpg

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm interested in all of them, I'm very open-minded when it comes to art, my interests keep shifting, from figurative to conceptual to abstract etc.

Except for aesthetic decorative crap, it's repulsive and nauseating.

+1

That is S-type art. Any great female painters? Kahlo? Cassatt?

Nihilen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
hieronymus bosch, who i would have said even if synarch hadn't posted his most recent pic

Gruen.jpg

That's not a Bosch painting, that's Matthias Grünewald, one of my ultimate favourite gothic painters...he's tied with Bosch.

Nihilen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
+1

That is S-type art. Any great female painters? Kahlo? Cassatt?

Hmm..I like a couple of Kahlo's paintings, mostly 'My birth', can't post it here, it would be deleted...It's graphic and could be viewed as gross for some.

But I can't think of any that I would put in my top 100 at the moment.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
That's not a Bosch painting, that's Matthias Grünewald, one of my ultimate favourite gothic painters...he's tied with Bosch.

Damn it! Guess I grabbed from Google too fast. Looked Boschy. I'm impressed with your encyclopaedic knowledge of freaky art, though!

Nihilen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Damn it! Guess I grabbed from Google too fast. Looked Boschy. I'm impressed with your encyclopaedic knowledge of freaky art, though!

If it's freaky enough, it'll get stuck in my brain, eternally.

It was a lucky catch, practically no one ever mentions Matthias Grünewald, though he was probably one of the first predecessors of 'expressionism', centuries before the movement was created.

Bosch was the same for surrealism.

I love his crucifixions mostly, here are a couple details:

490px-Mathis_Gothart_Gr%C3%BCnewald_023.jpg

slide12aj3.jpg

Nihilen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
auerbachsothebys.jpg

Portrait of J.Y.M II - Frank Auerbach

There's a quote by John Singer Sargent I found amusing:
"Every time I paint a portrait I lose a friend."

Yet his paintings seem very aesthetically soothing and practically uninteresting, this quote seems to work better considering the painter above for ex.

I liked this painting of his though, mostly because of the ecstatic(?) humanoid(?) in the background. This creepy weirdo looks suspicious.

sargent-dancer.jpg

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Off the top of my head:

Waterhouse
Dore
Goya
Harry Clarke
Alex Ross
Dave McKean
HR Giger
Da Vinci
JMW Turner
Darrell K. Sweet
Michael Whelan
John Constable
Francis Bacon
Gustav Klimt
Edvard Munch
Alphonse Mucha
Aubrey Beardsley
Caspar David Friedrich
John Collier
Bill Sienkiewicz
Barry Windsor-Smith
Michael Zulli

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
By far, Paul Klee is my favorite painters. Each time I cross one of his works, even a very small watercolor in a large museum room, it captures my sight and the outside world vanishes. Abstraction is so difficult to master well.

klee.highway-byways.jpg

Close to him, I also like Nicolas de Staël:

destaelfiguresauborddelamer.jpg

-------

And among others, you have Albrecht Dürer:

Duerer_the_large_turf.jpg

And Jacob van Ruysdael

ruysdael_marine%20400.jpg

And Willem de Kooning:

05_de_kooning.jpg

And Claude Monet, of course

3_Monet_Rouen_1892%201894.jpg

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
Monet... I hate to be so cliche but I always have loved him since I first saw one of his paintings when I was really little and always will...His scene of Paris in the winter is magical

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
His scene of Paris in the winter is magical

One century ago, we usually had snow in Paris each year, and the Seine would often freeze. Monet painted that many times.

monet-glacons.jpg (image)

Today, with global warming (for those who don't think this phenomenon is true)... well... when we have -2°C in Paris (->28°F), we say it's "very cold" here. And we have palm trees growing everywhere in gardens and even as street trees.

So you know, even impressionist paintings can be used as a proof something is deeply wrong with climate.

Nihilen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
By far, Paul Klee is my favorite painters.

Interesting selection -except for Jacob van Ruysdael, sorry, but nah...- mostly Paul Klee. I just re-embarked researching him yesterday. I think that's one to ponder upon, very 'ambiguous':

paulklee.jpg

The twittering machine.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
bumping cuz i wanna see more too