PDA

View Full Version : The Legend of Zelda

Savage Idealist
08-06-2011, 07:30 PM
Link: ISFJ 6w5 so/sx

Now normally I wouldn't even think that Link has a type at all, being completely neutral and being a 'link' for the player into the game.

But when analyzed carefully, Si dom mkaes sense to adegree; he's clearly an introvert, but he doesn't seem to be focused on an internal method of though nor does he consider any internal ideas, rather he acts solely based off his duty to stop Ganon, follows the same routines in every game, collects a wide range of experience (i.e., collecting weapons and skills), and basically repeats this pattern every entire game. The metaphysical representation of his character could easily be Si incarnate.

I'd say he's more Fe than Te, seeing as how he bravely assists with the needs of others, and because I see virtually nothing in the way of Te in him.

Links courage and loyalty lead me to beleive that he is probably 6, I don't think any other type could fit him that well; not really sure on the wing.

Ganon: ENTJ 8w9 sp/sx

8w9 is obvious, I'm personally not too sure about Ganon aside from the fact that he seems to be a TJ at the very least, probably NTJ; if anyone has any reasons as to why he's a different type feel free to share.

Zelda: INFJ 2w1 so/sx

Link (Cartoon Verison):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPxY8lpYAUM

DICK ASSwHOLE SHIt bs/ass

I'll add more character later.

Viridian
08-06-2011, 07:55 PM
Six does make a lot of sense for an "everyman" character. ;)

Elfboy
08-06-2011, 08:10 PM
no no no!
Ocarina of Time
Link: ISFP 1w9 Sx/Sp
Zelda: INFJ 1w2 Sx/So
Saria: INFP 9w8 Sx/Sp
Ganon: ENTJ 8w9 Sp/Sx (I agree with this one :yes: )
Navi: ISFJ 2w1 So/Sx
Princess Ruta: ESTP 3w4 Sx/Sp

Savage Idealist
08-06-2011, 09:16 PM
Six does make a lot of sense for an "everyman" character. ;)

Indeed :yes:

no no no!
Ocarina of Time
Link: ISFP 1w9 Sx/Sp
Zelda: INFJ 1w2 Sx/So
Saria: INFP 9w8 Sx/Sp
Ganon: ENTJ 8w9 Sp/Sx (I agree with this one :yes: )
Navi: ISFJ 2w1 So/Sx
Princess Ruta: ESTP 3w4 Sx/Sp

Why ISFP 1w9 for link and 1w2 for Zelda? (I agree with the rest).

Hazashin
08-06-2011, 09:20 PM
Off Topic: SIIIICK avatar, SI! :hifive:

Elfboy
08-06-2011, 09:20 PM
Indeed :yes:

Why ISFP 1w9 for link and 1w2 for Zelda? (I agree with the rest).

he is withdrawn like a w9, but he's bold and courageous like a 1. Zelda is 1w2 because she's sorta like a 2, but more rational and less needy

Hazashin
08-06-2011, 09:23 PM
he is withdrawn like a w9, but he's bold and courageous like a 1. Zelda is 1w2 because she's sorta like a 2, but more rational and less needy

Couldn't he just be integrated to 9 though? And counterphobic?

Elfboy
08-06-2011, 09:24 PM
Couldn't he just be integrated to 9 though? And counterphobic?

it's possible, but I still hella see him as a 1w9. he's a lot like Harry Potter (also an INFP 1w9 Sx/Sp)

Savage Idealist
08-06-2011, 09:26 PM

6's can easily be withdrawn, bold, and courageous. 1w9's are moral perfectionists/obstructive bureaucrats, and even though Link is good, I don't really see any sense of 1 in him at all. His demeanor is more of that of a 6; quiet and unassuming in his duty to his quest, whilst loyal and brave. Although it's also possible that because of Link's vague personality, he might not really have an enneagram type at all and we're just assuming he does, maybe.

Actually, Zelda could be 1w2. :yes:

Hazashin
08-06-2011, 09:28 PM
it's possible, but I still hella see him as a 1w9. he's a lot like Harry Potter (also an INFP 1w9 Sx/Sp)

Still why ISFP?

Elfboy
08-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Still why ISFP?

- I and F are obvious.
- Fi>Fe
- he's not intellectual and never talks.
he's ISFP :D

Elfboy
08-06-2011, 09:31 PM
6's can easily be withdrawn, bold, and courageous. 1w9's are moral perfectionists/obstructive bureaucrats, and even though Link is good, I don't really see any sense of 1 in him at all. His demeanor is more of that of a 6; quiet and unassuming in his duty to his quest, whilst loyal and brave. Although it's also possible that because of Link's vague personality, he might not really have an enneagram type at all and we're just assuming he does, maybe.

Actually, Zelda could be 1w2. :yes:

you win, Link is probably a 6w5, but I still think he's Sx/Sp. there is nothing social about the guy at all

Hazashin
08-06-2011, 09:40 PM
you win, Link is probably a 6w5, but I still think he's Sx/Sp. there is nothing social about the guy at all

Either way, he's a badass, IMO. :D

Viridian
08-06-2011, 09:43 PM

I agree, here. 1w9s are not exactly bold in the way Sixes are, because they are very concerned with "correctness" and thus have a bit of an aloof "cerebral-ness" to them (Dr. Spock being a prime example). Sixes are more reactive, charging boldly as a way of facing their anxieties. The "everyman hero archetype" is often, I think, a 6w7 or something similar - they may be spazzes, but they are loyal to the end. ;)

I could be totally wrong, though. :shrug:

Elfboy
08-06-2011, 09:43 PM

mmhmm :hifive:

Hazashin
08-06-2011, 09:49 PM
mmhmm :hifive:

Ah, okay. I misinterpreted your descriptions as somewhat disparaging. :P

Elfboy
08-06-2011, 09:50 PM
Ah, okay. I misinterpreted your descriptions as somewhat disparaging. :P

you did, Link's ma boi :cool:

Hazashin
08-06-2011, 09:59 PM
You know, there might be some slight distinctions between the different Links. For example, toon Link seems much more phobic than default Link.

Savage Idealist
08-06-2011, 10:01 PM
Off Topic: SIIIICK avatar, SI! :hifive:

Thank you :D

So doesn't necesarily mean 'social' like that of one who goes to parties and whatnot, it's more of a consideration for the greater good of the world and its inhabitants, but Sx/So could work to; also Link seems far to self sacrificing and willing to always help others to be sp.

Also, I guess I could see Link as ISFP, at least his Windwaker/cartoon version :yes:

I think we can all agree on that :yes:

I agree, here. 1w9s are not exactly bold in the way Sixes are, because they are very concerned with "correctness" and thus have a bit of an aloof "cerebral-ness" to them (Dr. Spock being a prime example). Sixes are more reactive, charging boldly as a way of facing their anxieties. The "everyman hero archetype" is often, I think, a 6w7 or something similar - they may be spazzes, but they are loyal to the end. ;)

I could be totally wrong, though. :shrug:

You're not wrong at all, that description seems about right. :)

Elfboy
08-06-2011, 10:05 PM
Thank you :D

So doesn't necesarily mean 'social' like that of one who goes to parties and whatnot, it's more of a consideration for the greater good of the world and its inhabitants, but Sx/So could work to; also Link seems far to self sacrificing and willing to always help others to be sp.
Also, I guess I could see Link as ISFP, at least his Windwaker/cartoon version :yes:
I think we can all agree on that :yes:
You're not wrong at all, that description seems about right. :)

Sx/So works too, but my intuition is telling me he's an Sx dom

Savage Idealist
08-06-2011, 10:07 PM
Sx/So works too, but my intuition is telling me he's an Sx dom

Sx dom could work for Link.

Elfboy
08-06-2011, 10:10 PM
Sx dom could work for Link.

fair enough.
PS: I still think you're a 6w7 So/Sx :yes:

Little_Sticks
08-06-2011, 11:17 PM
You know what, whenever I come across a fictional character that could fit 6w5, I also find that they could potentially fit 9w8. Enneagram seems unclear in differentiating the two. A wing 8 on a 9 seems to offset all the qualities that would differentiate from a 6. And a wing 5 on a 6 seems to offset all the qualities that would differentiate from a 9.

The 6w5 becomes a fearless thinking beast.
The 9w8 is willing to give up their cheery peace of mind and steps up aggressively to do so.

Both are kind of the same. I suppose 6 would be more of the thinker though. In that respect I could definitely see 6w5 as making more sense. But speaking in terms of reality, wouldn't a 9w8 have good reason to go into wing 8 when it is pretty much against their 9 core fixation? Perhaps a 9 that goes into an 8 wing for too long becomes a 6w5?

Hazashin
08-07-2011, 07:21 AM
I'll add more character later.

What about these characters?

Tingle
King of Red Lions
Malon
Midna

I'll list more once I think of some.

Savage Idealist
08-07-2011, 06:02 PM
What about these characters?

Tingle
King of Red Lions
Malon
Midna

I'll list more once I think of some.

Tingle - INFP
King of Red Lions - ESTJ
Malon - ESFJ
Midna - INTP?

Elfboy
08-07-2011, 06:15 PM
Tingle - INFP
King of Red Lions - ESTJ
Malon - ESFJ
Midna - INTP?

Malon: ISFP 7w6 Sx/Sp

Savage Idealist
08-07-2011, 06:23 PM
Malon: ISFP 7w6 Sx/Sp

I suppose that could work :thinking:

Hazashin
08-07-2011, 06:30 PM
Tingle - INFP
King of Red Lions - ESTJ
Malon - ESFJ
Midna - INTP?

Awesome! :hifive:

What about...

Impa
Ezlo
Vaati
Rauru
Aryll
Niko
Great Deku Tree
Makar & Medli
Quill (the postman Rito from Wind Waker)

Savage Idealist
08-07-2011, 11:54 PM
Awesome! :hifive:

What about...

Impa
Ezlo
Vaati
Rauru
Aryll
Niko
Great Deku Tree
Makar & Medli
Quill (the postman Rito from Wind Waker)

Alright lets see:

Impa - ISFJ
Rauru - INFJ
Great Deku Tree - INFJ

Not sure now on the others, I'll do some wiki research on them later.

Hazashin
08-08-2011, 12:01 AM

Alright lets see:

Impa - ISFJ
Rauru - INFJ
Great Deku Tree - INFJ

Not sure now on the others, I'll do some wiki research on them later.

Are you not sure who those characters are, or do you not know enough about them to type them?

Savage Idealist
08-08-2011, 12:13 AM
Are you not sure who those characters are, or do you not know enough about them to type them?

I don't remember that much concerning their characters, so I'd need to go browse their wiki entries in order to jog my memory.

Such Irony
08-09-2011, 01:48 PM
Tingle - INFP
King of Red Lions - ESTJ
Malon - ESFJ
Midna - INTP?

I'm not totally of Midna's type but I was thinking more along the lines of INTJ. She seems kind of bossy and demanding at times with a sense of urgency.

I'm not at all familiar with the other three characters as I've only played the Twilight Princess and the original Zelda game.

Savage Idealist
08-09-2011, 06:34 PM
I'm not totally of Midna's type but I was thinking more along the lines of INTJ. She seems kind of bossy and demanding at times with a sense of urgency.

I'm not at all familiar with the other three characters as I've only played the Twilight Princess and the original Zelda game.

Hmmm, INTJ could be possible, I may have to replay the Twlight Princess game fot better accuracy (which sounds like hella fun anyway :D)

Well, if you're curious, they appear in these games:

King of Red Lions (talking boat) - Windwaker
Malon (cute farm girl) - Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask
Tingle (35 year old man child loser) - Majora's Mask and Windwaker

21%
08-10-2011, 10:06 AM
I think each game casts Link in a different light.

The original game Link: SJ for his perseverance :D
Windwaker Link: ESTP (energetic, easy-going, 'do-er', Fe-ish)
Twilight Princess Link: introverted -- and pretty self-conscious if you ask me (He's way more comfortable in his wolf skin than his own skin)

Midna -- INTJ sounds good. She's a bit too soft, though.
Makar -- ISFP (seems like an independent self-sufficient artist)
Medli -- ISFJ (considerate, dutiful, a little bit of a push-over)
Talking boat -- ISTJ (loyal, dependable, sense of duty, always hurrying you to finish what has to be done)

These are based on nothing but my impressions, so I think they are all wrong XD

Hazashin
08-10-2011, 11:48 AM
I think each game casts Link in a different light.

The original game Link: SJ for his perseverance :D
Windwaker Link: ESTP (energetic, easy-going, 'do-er', Fe-ish)
Twilight Princess Link: introverted -- and pretty self-conscious if you ask me (He's way more comfortable in his wolf skin than his own skin)

Midna -- INTJ sounds good. She's a bit too soft, though.
Makar -- ISFP (seems like an independent self-sufficient artist)
Medli -- ISFJ (considerate, dutiful, a little bit of a push-over)
Talking boat -- ISTJ (loyal, dependable, sense of duty, always hurrying you to finish what has to be done)

These are based on nothing but my impressions, so I think they are all wrong XD

What about Ocarina of Time? Oh, wait, is that what you meant by original? If so, that's not the original. This is the original: http://www.zeldawiki.org/The_Legend_of_Zelda_(Game)

That site in the link also has all the names of the Zelda games listed at the top with a rounded portrait of artwork Link beside them.

polikujm
08-10-2011, 11:55 AM
Wow, great thread. Bunch of video game nerds here, I was just thinking about this today, actually.

As for Link, ISFx also came to mind. Functionally/Socionics-wise, I'd lean toward the Si side (SEI). MBTI, you do make a valid point point for ISFJ, then again his behavior does come across SP, frantically slashing at bushes.

http://www.zeldawiki.org/images/thumb/4/40/Tingle_Balloon.png/100px-Tingle_Balloon.png

I love tingle! Both INFP and IEI might actually make sense for him. He rides in a balloon but he seems kinda loner, spouting magical words. Something Ni going there... I'll have to think about it more.

How about Koji Kondo?

Hazashin
08-10-2011, 11:58 AM
How about Koji Kondo?

I'm not that much of a nerd. I don't know much about him. :shrug:

polikujm
08-10-2011, 12:05 PM
I'm not that much of a nerd. I don't know much about him. :shrug:

He wrote the main theme of Zelda, can't get any better than that! I'm a big fan of his melodic dreamscapes.

- I and F are obvious.

Hmm, so you think F is more obvious than S in Link? Just wondering everyone's opinion, that would make him more ESI in my book but not necessarily ISFP. Not sure:

http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/introvertedfeeling.html ("it's often hard to assign words"... lol that's right up Link's alley)

21%
08-10-2011, 03:59 PM
What about Ocarina of Time? Oh, wait, is that what you meant by original? If so, that's not the original. This is the original: http://www.zeldawiki.org/The_Legend_of_Zelda_(Game)

That site in the link also has all the names of the Zelda games listed at the top with a rounded portrait of artwork Link beside them.

No, I meant the original original (on the Nintendo 8 bit) :D

I haven't played the Ocarina of Time yet.

Elfboy
08-10-2011, 06:10 PM
He wrote the main theme of Zelda, can't get any better than that! I'm a big fan of his melodic dreamscapes.
Hmm, so you think F is more obvious than S in Link? Just wondering everyone's opinion, that would make him more ESI in my book but not necessarily ISFP. Not sure:

http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/introvertedfeeling.html ("it's often hard to assign words"... lol that's right up Link's alley)

if he were an extrovert, he would actually talk :D

Hazashin
08-10-2011, 06:58 PM
if he were an extrovert, he would actually talk :D

I've often wondered whether an extravert could actually be very quiet. Like if they observed and focused on the external world without having any input. If there were such a thing, I would definitely place Link as a likely candidate. :yes:

However, I still see him as a badass, doesn't-say-a-thing introvert. :D

Elfboy
08-10-2011, 07:03 PM
I've often wondered whether an extravert could actually be very quiet. Like if they observed and focused on the external world without having any input. If there were such a thing, I would definitely place Link as a likely candidate. :yes:

However, I still see him as a badass, doesn't-say-a-thing introvert. :D

me too :yes:
:hifive:

chris1207
02-26-2013, 02:30 AM
I think that Link is a variety of types across the series. There just isn't enough to go off of early in the series so I won't do those. I won't go into much detail because I wanna take a nap now :) but here goes:

Bold indicates that I've gone back to the title and played all the way through to verify/ponder

Ocarina of Time ----------------------------------------------- ISTP
Majora's Mask/Twilight Princess ------------------------------ ENFJ
Wind Waker (Possibly Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks) -- ISFP
Skyward Sword (Maybe also Minish Cap) ------------------- INFP

Cartoon/CD-I ---------------------------------------------------------- ESFP

superunknown
02-26-2013, 03:11 AM
Why ENFJ for Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess, chris1207?

chris1207
03-01-2013, 09:27 PM
Alright, busy week, jontherobot ...

Majora's Mask (MM) is a bit harder for me to prove, so I'll start with Twilight Princess (TP.)

A lot of seeing him as the ENFJ I believe him in TP to be is in his characterization and how he fits into the world around him. Hyrule in this game isn't about go about from town to town in a somewhat whimsical, directionless fashion (a la Wind Waker.) Greg Kasavin, formerly of Gamespot, said that he felt this world was more alive than that of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. As such, it's up to link to use his raw, physical prowess to overcome challenges. This setting for gameplay probably has some root in the fact that TP is the first with the Wii remote and thus a more advanced physical control scheme. My point is: Link probably has Se in some capacity as a result of this.

The next question then becomes: What is Link's primary motivation for embarking on his quest? The same question can be asked in all the Zelda games.

I believe that his purpose throughout is to face whatever fortune (Se) may put in his way in order to guard the livelihood of those he cares (Fe) about most. To do this he has to develop his dexterous nature (Se).

There are several events in the game that are like heroic ENFJ fantasy scenarios. Like the boy tied to the end of the ogre's javelin as he rides about taunting link. There original plan way to escape into the fields but link managed to arrive just in time with relentless speed on his steed.

This is in contrast to Ocarina of Time's (OoT) following one's destiny (Ni) for the betterment of the world (Ni+Fe.) The idea here is that Link develops his 3rd cognitive function during his quest. That's what makes him heroic. He's well-rounded.

A second point to consider when determining Link's type is by looking at the type of his (typically female) assistant.

It seems to me that the female assistants are matched up for judging functions but just in an opposite order.

In OoT, Navi was clearly an SFJ, making sure to get Link's attention and then telling him an observation which may or may not be obvious. Also, she chastises him at the beginning of the game for being lazy and is incredulous at the proposition that he could be the one to save them all.

In MM, Tatl was probably an ESTX, chastising link for his lack of observation and the fact that he would frequently overreact (apparently.) That makes me think NF link despite the continuity and OoT Link being an ISTP. MM does feature a kind of alternate universe them, though, and it's entirely possible that Link 'switched' personality types somehow.

Finally in TP, she's clearly an ESTP, playfully teasing Link and steadily growing to like him on some level as the game progresses. This isn't just because he's helping her. It seems to me that she genuinely likes what he stands for as well. At the very least, one would have to assume that they get along when it comes to Ti-Fe. I find that that's one of the major dimensions that causes conflict, differences in judging functions.

There's not much else to say about TP.

There's one point where the shopkeeper in Faron Village describes you as oftentimes excitable or even loud (hinting at E.)

Any questions? I'll get to MM in a few days. I'm reading a book that ties philosophical constructs onto the Zelda games. I need to finish the one with MM :)

Also, I think that Skyward Sword Link is an INFP and his assistant Fi is an INTJ.

chris1207
03-15-2013, 07:41 PM
jontherobot

Alright. So I'm finally back to this topic to talk a little about Majora's Mask and why I view Link in that game as a (possible) ENFJ. It's not so much that he's an ENFJ. I believe that, especially in earlier games, they still hadn't worked out personality for the characters. They more or less filled a purpose in relaying information to 'the hero' to aid him in his quest. MM is the first game where we see real personality variety from the characters.

It's not so much that Link is ENFJ as it is that he is put into a story and environment construct that reflects an NF, specifically NFJ, frame or perspective. You utilize a journal in order to aid townsfolk that you have little previous affiliation with (thus it's less likely he has Fi.) Helping people is the primary focus of the game, despite there being the overarching goal of retrieving Majora's Mask.

To accomplish these ends there is a significant amount of abstract resource management (it's not so much logistical (Si) as it is (underlying) value-based (not to be confused with values-based.)) Thus N of some sort.

I've been reading a book on Zelda and philosophy and they have an article that pertains to MM and the concept of time. Once I'm done reading that I'll expound on this point. My next argument however would be that a Perceiver lacks the ability to efficiently manage these resources. Thus J as well as Fe.

I'll get back to this. I have to head out for the weekend but I thought I'd give you some more answers to your question.

Elfboy
03-17-2013, 08:03 AM
you people saying he is Fe/Ti are crazy. he's so Fi fantasy hero it's not even funny.

chris1207
10-16-2013, 03:56 AM
Miyamoto's conception of him IS very Fi. Eiji Aonuma and other's at Nintendo made him very Fe-Ti for Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Twilight Princess.

I agree that for all the rest of the Zeldas he is very Fi, especially Skyward Sword and Wind Waker. It's tough for me to articulate. I spend so much with my head up the asses of people's faces and demeanor taking in data that heck if I can articulate it well.

skylights
10-17-2013, 03:40 AM
My personal conceptions of the characters - mostly from OoT, but a little Majora, Windwaker, and TP - would make Link ISFP 9w8 sp/sx and Zelda INFJ 1w2 so/sx. Ganon would be ENTJ 8w7 sx/so.

superunknown
10-17-2013, 09:27 AM
Link being theoretically Fi is highly implausible. Link is not an introverted rational - in fact, I would say he literally has zero rationalization to his existence whatsoever (that the player is let onto). This is done with great intent, to make him relative to as wide as possible an audience, that anyone can walk his journey with little to detract from the experience in terms of motive. Evil is bad, and this is often good enough to set his course in motion.

Clear Se or Si dom, but whatever you want to project onto his persona is exactly what the developers want.

Ganondorf - ENTJ 3w4 so/sx

Zelda - ESTJ 1w9

Navi - ESFJ 5w6

Tatl - ENFJ 5w6

Tael - ISFJ 2w1

Skull Kid - INFP 7w6 sx/sp