PDA

View Full Version : Lumosity IQ - Cognitive processes

white
12-30-2007, 09:03 AM
This was a test I came across recently, claims to have been developed by cognitive neuro-scientists. It measures cognition/intelligence on 3 counts a) attentiveness, b) memory, and c) processing speed. Try it, let me know what you think of it - I found it interesting as most cognitive function tests do a forced choice where you can manipulate the results, in a way. This one is less manipul-able.

Lumosity - iq_tests:index (http://www.lumosity.com/iq_tests?cookies_enabled=1)

And a chirpy bleating little test for fun: reaction time (turn the volume up and get ready on the mouse)! :devil: No cheating. Post your score with a screen-grab. (Edit: Sorry Kiddo, they're sheep not goats, but at least they bleat)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/sleep/sheep/reaction_version5.swf

white
12-30-2007, 09:08 AM
my sheep murder time: rocketing rabbit - 0.1752 seconds.

:D

Athenian200
12-30-2007, 09:51 AM
First test:

Attention: 86

Memory: 94

Processing Speed: 103

Total score: 94

Second test:

Average time: 0.226 seconds -- Bobbing Bobcat

EDIT:

First test, second try:

Attention: 121

Memory: 98

Processing Speed: 122

Total score: 113

Second test, second try:

Average time: 0.187 seconds -- Rocketing Rabbit

Nadir
12-30-2007, 12:15 PM
First test:
Attention - Birdwatching: 151
Memory - Monster Garden: 121
Processing Speed - Raindrops: 152
Your Total Score: 141

I got lucky with the birdwatching. Some of the birds' names I could guess with ease, some I had no clue about. Also, a few names were quite short.
The other two tests I'm not surprised about, though I find it a bit dubious that the simplest of mathematical operations can really estimate processing speed. I don't exactly pride myself on my math skills.

Second test:
0.1516 - Rocketing Rabbit

Anyway, I can safely say that these scores aren't representative of i. how I feel about myself and ii. my current academic standing ;)

Splittet
12-30-2007, 12:37 PM
I don't like taking IQ tests anymore, because they make me think too much about what my IQ is, which is speculation I want to be finished with. I feel your IQ only sets limits to who you can be, so I would rather not think too much about mine, although I think lots about the IQ of others.

As for the second test (my results varies with over 0,1 s):

Bobbing bobcat: 0,238 s

(Best average result: 0,2036 s)

I guess I am slow then. I guess SPs would tend to test best, because of their strong Se.

prplchknz
12-30-2007, 04:39 PM
first test first try 66
attention:5 (in my defense it took me 3/4ths of the game to figure out what I was doing
memory-88
proccessing-107

second test first try:bobbing bob cat 0.2686 s

first test second try:79
attention 55
memory 72
proccessing speed 112

white
12-30-2007, 04:45 PM
I don't like taking IQ tests anymore, because they make me think too much about what my IQ is, which is speculation I want to be finished with. I feel your IQ only sets limits to who you can be, so I would rather not think too much about mine, although I think lots about the IQ of others.

As for the second test (my results varies with over 0,1 s):

Bobbing bobcat: 0,238 s

(Best average result: 0,2036 s)

I guess I am slow then. I guess SPs would tend to test best, because of their strong Se.

I'm not certain the first test measures IQ in the normal sense of intelligence, more like a few cognitive functions, which was why I found it interesting.

:yes: purple, the first time I took it, I screwed up the second section as it didn't hit me that the monsters were different colours *lol*. Low Se to the max there.

prplchknz
12-30-2007, 04:58 PM
part of it I suspect is I haven't had caffeine nor eaten today. Still my short term memory sucks anyways and i don't have the attention span for alot of things. Unless it has to do with one of my interests and oddly enough spotting and naming birds is not one of them. My problem with the monsters is remember where they were.

Jennifer
12-30-2007, 05:56 PM
Attention Birdwatching 121
Memory Monster Garden 147
Processing Speed Raindrops: 153
Total Score: 140

My birdwatching score stunk because it took me a little time to understand exactly what it was I was supposed to do. By the end, I had improved dramatically. I know I'd do better on that one if I took it again, but I don't think the monster or raindrop score will change much... I was operating very near peak efficiency.

The falling raindrop thing was just crazy. My mouse hand hurts. :(

Splittet
12-30-2007, 06:35 PM
Ah, I didn't look at the test at all first, so I thought it was some kind of alternative IQ test. Edit: And it seems like I was right. My overall result was 130, taking my second attention result into account (which I think is fair, since I didn't get it the first time), and that wasn't scary at all. Generally I say my IQ is about 125. How does the test match with your IQ test results on normal tests?

Overall: 118
Attention: 86 (just got the concept way too late, would have done much, much better a second time. Edit: Got 122 the second time.)
Memory: 131
Processing Speed: 137

Domino
12-30-2007, 07:17 PM
Aelan - your silly IQ test tried to eat me alive!! My overall score was 143. The math stuff really killed me (thanks, math dyslexia!). And the monsters were distractingly cute.

Athenian200
12-30-2007, 07:32 PM
I don't understand why I'm so awful at these things. Everyone else is doing as well the first time as I did the second or third time, and by their second or third try, I look pathetic. :(

For some reason, I actually do worse on the memory one every time I retake it... although I improve on the others.

Domino
12-30-2007, 07:40 PM
Our dear Athenian, those stupid tests are designed by innrwebz-people with coding experience and too much time on their hands. They're in NO WAY a reflection of your intelligence, personality, reflexes, "fun factor" or joie de vive. I'll bet you any amount of money that if we sat down in front of each other with a piece of paper, logic problems and a timer, you'd whip me back into the Stone Age.

Example: My math skills are high in general, but my day-to-day recognition of numbers and problem-solving is rock bottom. What most people solve in two or three seconds (like 52- 3) takes me 20 seconds, and that's not including mistakes, backing up, checking again, USING MY FINGERS, etc. I'm that bad.

Kiddo
12-30-2007, 08:10 PM
I only got 110 on the first test and .2928 Bobbing Bobcat on the second. I'm average! :cry:

Jennifer
12-30-2007, 08:34 PM
And the monsters were distractingly cute.

The red ones were. The blue ones were horrid.

ptgatsby
12-30-2007, 09:06 PM
Hmm, that was more fun than a test. My first run through was;

Attention - 140
Memory - 142
Processing speed - 157.

Total, 147

I wouldn't take this test seriously, which is why I will post the results :D

Course, I had to get pelican as my first question - not exactly the bird I was thinking of and I used up 11 exposures...

cascadeco
12-30-2007, 09:34 PM
Meh. My memory stinks. But this doesn't come as much of a surprise. :rolli:

First try -

Attention - 113
Memory - 90
Processing - 154
Total - 119

Third try :) (my second try for attention/bird and memory was worse than my first try!!)-

Attention - 133
Memory - 100
Processing - 155
Total - 129

And I believe that's the best I can do.

ptgatsby
12-30-2007, 11:05 PM
Processing speed - 157.

I'm very curious how high people can get this - I consider myself very good at this, but I absolutely cannot break 166. It's wayyy too fast at that point for me to think that anyone other than an accountant can o_O

edit: NM, I figured out how to run it up higher, now at 175.

Hints for maxing out scores that I'm aware of;

1) When guessing birds, if you know the answer of the bird, stop looking at the letter. Try to get the bird as close as possible - once you get up to about 6 correct in a row the value of getting it dead on is over 1000 - this bumps your score up by as much as 50%... I went from about 2500 to 4500 just by knowing that the bird was swallow.

2) Use the mouse to mark sequences, then forget about them. I use "on" as a single, the + marker as diagonal, the | or _ line as connected and slightly offset on the + as a 3 block. Later on (around round 7), you are working on pathfinding, so forget about memorizing where the dudes are and realise that there will be only one route. If you have two lives, you can walk onto a monster then off, which bumps you up some if need be.

3) The points for each guessed number increases by one, so this is about speed more than anything else. Later on, after about 15,000 points, you won't be able to keep up... however, you should try to target all of the 5-10 numbers as soon as you see them - they often trigger multiple hits and you are now just on a timer to get as many as possible before you trigger. Your score will escalate by thousands and thousands if you get a sun later in the game like this and can work it out. The difference here is in the thousands (I went from about 18000 to 29,000 just by ignoring the high number ones and taking the lower ones.)

I figure you can increase your average scores by more than 10-20 points on these just by using these three tricks.

Splittet
12-30-2007, 11:08 PM
But people, how do you score in normal IQ tests compared to this one?

ptgatsby
12-30-2007, 11:28 PM
But people, how do you score in normal IQ tests compared to this one?

These are heavily inflated scores... and easy to game. I could probably break 160 "IQ" if I spent another hour working out strategies. (Although I don't think I could get much higher than that... although I might be able to if I drop my resolution and don't use a widescreen... the first game is much harder than the others right now - over 30 points different.)

Splittet
12-30-2007, 11:40 PM
These are heavily inflated scores... and easy to game. I could probably break 160 "IQ" if I spent another hour working out strategies. (Although I don't think I could get much higher than that... although I might be able to if I drop my resolution and don't use a widescreen... the first game is much harder than the others right now - over 30 points different.)

I am not so sure they are heavily inflated. But that's why I would like to compare the scores with the normal IQ scores of people here, I am curious how they compare. What is your IQ for example?

ptgatsby
12-30-2007, 11:42 PM
I am not so sure they are heavily inflated. But that's why I would like to compare the scores with the normal IQ scores of people here, I am curious how they compare.

I meant heavily inflated for mine. These are aptitude tests, I highly doubt they have any significant relationship to general intelligence.

Splittet
12-30-2007, 11:44 PM
I meant heavily inflated for mine. These are aptitude tests, I highly doubt they have any significant relationship to general intelligence.

Well, I am sure the correlation will be big enough, maybe something like 0,5, with IQ that is.

Nadir
12-30-2007, 11:53 PM
ptgatsby: Although I haven't tried to optimize my test-taking, the main limiting factor where the processing speed test was concerned seemed to be the mouse. It sucked to click that much, became tiring. If the test would have let me do it with the keyboard, well... things could have gotten interesting.

I have no doubt that practice would make better where this entire test-game is concerned.

Splittet: I'm dubious about most internet IQ tests. I generally score between the 130-140 range - the last one I took, a visual one at IQtest.dk (http://www.iqtest.dk), I got 135. I feel certain that I would score lower in an "official", paper test. (My parents got me tested when I was young [apparently I was really interested in reading strings of numbers] but I don't remember my score, nor do they. And I feel dumber as I grow older, so it's entirely possible that my IQ has decreased over the years.)

Splittet
12-30-2007, 11:58 PM
I think if you take enough Internet tests you will get a pretty good picture of your IQ. Some tests are obviously quite a lot better than other though. I think IQtest.dk is good. I got 128 on it once upon a time. Actually it is 4-5 years ago.

I think this test might be pretty good in the +-2SD area, but rather awful at scores more extreme than that. High scores seem too easy to achieve indeed.

ptgatsby
12-31-2007, 12:01 AM
Well, I am sure the correlation will be big enough, maybe something like 0,5, with IQ that is.

Hmmm, I hope so. I seem to be hitting about 160 :D

ptgatsby: Although I haven't tried to optimize my test-taking, the main limiting factor where the processing speed test was concerned seemed to be the mouse. It sucked to click that much, became tiring. If the test would have let me do it with the keyboard, well... things could have gotten interesting.

You can use the numpad btw :D

Jennifer
12-31-2007, 12:02 AM
I couldn't tell what these tests were trying to judge, but yes, my IQ usually falls in the 140-150 range (once I got a 160... but... yeah... I am figuring THAT test was whacked... :dry:).

I don't know. After some point, all the extra IQ seems to be wasted. It certainly has not made me a happier person. I become more happy when I exercise my freedom to choose and empower myself.

Splittet
12-31-2007, 12:04 AM
I couldn't tell what these tests were trying to judge, but yes, my IQ usually falls in the 140-150 range (once I got a 160... but... yeah... I am figuring THAT test was whacked... :dry:).

I don't know. After some point, all the extra IQ seems to be wasted. It certainly has not made me a happier person. I become more happy when I exercise my freedom to choose and empower myself.

That makes you a powerful argument high scores are actually NOT too easy to achieve. I think the test seems amazingly accurete taking into account how short it is.

Nadir
12-31-2007, 12:14 AM

Well, darn.

Ah, well. No use taking the whole thing for the second time - the average would change 4-5 points at the most. And I've already made my ambivalence clear. :)

Jennifer
12-31-2007, 12:29 AM

:doh:

Oh well, I guess a 157 is still respectable! (My mouse hand just could not keep up with the rainfall, or I might have gone longer.)

white
12-31-2007, 12:43 AM
*rofl* At least it is a fun test, no? :yes:

I went mad on the raindrops one. Btw, the numpad is easier to use for that one.

Splittet, I think the correlation with IQ comes about because:

1) "Birdwatching" tests attention and linguistics + educated guesswork. The closer you click to the bird, the higher the points you get.

2) "Monsters" tests memory, spatial, attention to detail on colours, end object etc. An average person is able to remember a sequence of 7 things. Bonus points comes in if you can correctly identify the monsters' colours too.

3) "raindrops" : numerical ability - if you go for the big raindrops you get a clear screen btw. I wonder if you get bonus points for going for the big one in a screen full of raindrops. Also tests ability under pressure.

- I believe the above are all components in an overall intelligence, so the correlation could exist. But this was not meant as an IQ test - just a measure of the above cognitive processes. The more you do it, the better your score, till it reaches a plateau and dies away. I can't do this test more than twice, at which point I'm so wired up I'm flying off my seat and squwaking at random raindrops.

- It gets skewed when smart test-takers like pt come around to try beat the system *rofl*.

- Athenian, it is just a test, and as you've seen from pt, there're many ways to beat the system, I wouldn't use it as a measure of intelligence IRL - there's too many components of intelligence for one test to measure fully methinks.

Edit: How'd everyone do tranquilising sheep? Can anyone get the cheetah?

Splittet
12-31-2007, 01:20 AM
Well, isn't it supposed to be an IQ test? To me the test seems pretty g-loaded. Results seems to be +-10 points of what people normally test on IQ tests, and that's not much worse than the difference between actual IQ tests.

prplchknz
12-31-2007, 01:24 AM
really? really? my scores suck, my actual IQ is not that low. not even by 10 points.

whatever
12-31-2007, 01:26 AM
wow- I suck! :laugh:

overall IQ 107
attention-72
memory- 128
processing speed- 121

and I'm an ambling armadillo! :(

in my defense I'm using a lap top for this! :laugh: and I guess I'm bad at paying attention! :blush:

my real IQ is higher than that! :cry:

Splittet
12-31-2007, 01:29 AM
wow- I suck! :laugh:

overall IQ 107
attention-72
memory- 128
processing speed- 121

and I'm an ambling armadillo! :(

in my defense I'm using a lap top for this! :laugh: and I guess I'm bad at paying attention! :blush:

my real IQ is higher than that! :cry:

Nah, you don't suck. It's just the attention part that needs to be done twice, because many, me and you included, didn't totally get it the first time.

really? really? my scores suck, my actual IQ is not that low. not even by 10 points.

I think you too should take the whole test again. Make sure you know what the tasks are about. It doesn't seem like you get the attention task. Read the "How to play".

whatever
12-31-2007, 01:31 AM
Nah, you don't suck. It's just the attention part that needs to be done twice, because many, me and you included, didn't totally get it the first time.

yeah- I took it only once! :laugh: and I'm also dyslexic, so I really sucked at some of the stuff! :D

:hug: for everyone who didn't try to beat the system straight off! :laugh:

white
12-31-2007, 01:41 AM
I'm not sure taking it again really helps?

I hit 151 the first time, then 154. But it went downhill from there. I think I lose focus once the raindrops go mad. Then my brain short-circuits and I'm unable to think.

Splittet
12-31-2007, 02:15 AM
I'm not sure taking it again really helps?

I hit 151 the first time, then 154. But it went downhill from there. I think I lose focus once the raindrops go mad. Then my brain short-circuits and I'm unable to think.

It helps taking it again if you didn't get it the first time. I didn't know what the attention part was about the first time and scored 86. Then I figured out what I was supposed to do, and got 122. If you know what the task is about however, there isn't much to gain.

white
12-31-2007, 02:23 AM
Eh folks. It's just meant for fun, please don't take it so seriously. I could come up with dumb IQ/personality tests too. :D

Athenian200
12-31-2007, 02:23 AM
I've been practicing, and I seem to be improving on everything but memory. I recently got 141 on Attention, and 127 on Processing Speed. (Those two have actually been kind of fun recently.) I'm staying between 90-100 on memory... that must be my real deficit for some reason. Hmm... what could be causing that?

Splittet
12-31-2007, 03:06 AM
Eh folks. It's just meant for fun, please don't take it so seriously. I could come up with dumb IQ/personality tests too. :D

Personally I just view it as a fun, very alternative way of testing intelligence. I only meant to point out that if you don't know what the task is about, of course you will score badly. To be able to answer correctly, you must know what a correct answer is supposed to be, what they are looking for. If not it's basically solving a task without knowing what the task is.

Mempy
12-31-2007, 04:03 AM
On the third try I got an overall score of 140. It was the birdwatching that was killing me! So I practiced at it, and my highest score of all in birdwatching was 4400 (or, translated, 150).

So my final scores were:

Bird: 150
Memory: 126
Speed: 144

Thanks, Aelan! These games were so fun I played them multiple times. I feel smarter, haha. :D

white
12-31-2007, 04:06 AM
On the third try I got an overall score of 140. It was the birdwatching that was killing me! So I practiced at it, and my highest score of all in birdwatching was 4400 (or, translated, 150).

So my final scores were:

Bird: 150
Memory: 126
Speed: 144

Thanks, Aelan! These games were so fun I played them multiple times. I feel smarter, haha. :D

:D Welcome. Go tranquilize some sheep? I'm hoping for someone to get the cheetah. I've only seen it done once. That guy was a trader.

ptgatsby
12-31-2007, 04:28 AM
I've been practicing, and I seem to be improving on everything but memory. I recently got 141 on Attention, and 127 on Processing Speed. (Those two have actually been kind of fun recently.) I'm staying between 90-100 on memory... that must be my real deficit for some reason. Hmm... what could be causing that?

Most likely the storage and recall of patterns - I would hazard a guess that chess players are likely to be better at this.

In theory, we can only remember less than 10 things - it's very very rare to even be able to do that (as mentioned earlier, it's about 7, this is pretty hard wired). The trick is to escalate the way we group things. For example, on this memory test, once they pop up more than 7 things (I think this is on level 6+ if you haven't missed one yet), you start losing some or all of what you were storing. The trick is to create new "patterns" out of the things, which is what I was doing with the mouse trick. By reducing 1-3 items you can raise your IQ on it from about level 7-8 to level 9-10 (about 130 to 145, it seems). Likewise, you can start remembering them in "groups", such as "in a row" and so forth rather than individually.

Anyway, I've increased my "IQ" by over 30 points. I don't think this is comparable to an IQ test for that reason. I think that I can probably break 180 on the processing speed one if I really focus and optimize it, but I can't break through the reaction time on the bird one - it gets impossible after about 160 or so. I'll probably try to break it again later :D Dinner has left me with no blood in my brain!

white
12-31-2007, 04:32 AM
Anyway, I've increased my "IQ" by over 30 points. I don't think this is comparable to an IQ test for that reason. I think that I can probably break 180 on the processing speed one if I really focus and optimize it, but I can't break through the reaction time on the bird one - it gets impossible after about 160 or so. I'll probably try to break it again later :D Dinner has left me with no blood in my brain!

pt, if you hit the bird dead square on the centre, you get more points.

Edit: Don't give yourself carpel tunnel syndrome on the raindrops though. *rofl*

Mempy
12-31-2007, 06:08 AM
Oh, for the sheep game, I got .1356, which is still only a rabbit. And that was after a million times!

Ok I'll try again! Let's go!

Mempy
12-31-2007, 06:12 AM
.1246! I'm getting closer, you sheepy bastards. I'm averaging .125 for each bloody sheep!

Sheep 1: .000 seconds! :eek: But the rest weren't good enough! :doh: I wish I could print the screen and show you guys, but this computer doesn't have an image program! Ah!

Ok, found a way:

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee252/mempyism/rocketingrabbit.jpg

white
12-31-2007, 06:23 AM
*rofl* hit printscreen and paste that onto a document or paint. If you want a faster time, halfclick the mouse. =D

Mempy
12-31-2007, 06:27 AM
But, posting it in just any document won't work! You can't use a word document, for example. I ended up using... microsoft office picture manager. And I edited, if you didn't see. Also, what's a half-click??

white
12-31-2007, 06:35 AM
But, posting it in just any document won't work! You can't use a word document, for example. I ended up using... microsoft office picture manager. And I edited, if you didn't see. Also, what's a half-click??

hmm. If you use print screen function, open a word doc, and hit Ctrl + V, it should paste the whole screen as an image file. *lol*. Anyway I'm impressed with your speed. I hate to say this, but generally guys do better on this test. =D

half click. Sort of like a half shutter on a camera. You depress the mouse halfway so when the sheep shoots, you just have half the distance to click vs the whole. *rofl* Maybe we should ask pt how to sneak around this test. :yes:

targobelle
12-31-2007, 07:28 AM
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f201/targo88/score_1.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f201/targo88/score_2.jpg

and I will do the other one when I am more alert ;)

Mempy
12-31-2007, 08:10 AM
Haha, damnit! The cheetah continues to elude me! But I did get up to these scores in the IQ test! That's nice.

Bird: 155
Memory: 150
Speed: 140

Overall: 148

Wow! Even /I'm/ impressed! Haha, suckas.

I should totally be able to give myself rep points for this achievement.

Lethe
12-31-2007, 08:50 AM
Detailed LumosIQ Results

Attention (Birdwatching): 111

Memory (Monster Garden): 149

Processing Speed (Raindrops): 127

Total Score: 129

So thing that is contributing to my IQ is merely my ability to recall information? :steam:

;) Oh well.

I might take the test again later. The attention game was not entertaining - I kept on forgetting that I was supposed to look for the bird. :doh:

*Update (Took the test while listening to music, it helps redirect my focus.)

Attention (Birdwatching): 140

Memory (Monster Garden): 159

Processing Speed (Raindrops): 135

Total Score: 144

I do not have an IQ of 144, but the last two games were enjoyable the second time around.

On boosting up my birdwatching score - my main concentration was on the letters and I used the ends of my eye to scan the background for the birds.

I want to take the raindrops one for the third time, but I don't think I'll get any higher than that. I'm pretty much stuck with the mouse since my number keys aren't functioning properly.

Reaction Time

First Try: Sluggish Snail; 3 seconds :party2:
(I'm obviously not getting the game. :D)

Second Try: Sluggish Snail; 0.8338 seconds

Third Try: Rocketing Rabbit; 0.1948 seconds

==========

I've been practicing, and I seem to be improving on everything but memory. I recently got 141 on Attention, and 127 on Processing Speed. (Those two have actually been kind of fun recently.) I'm staying between 90-100 on memory... that must be my real deficit for some reason. Hmm... what could be causing that?Most likely the storage and recall of patterns - I would hazard a guess that chess players are likely to be better at this.

In theory, we can only remember less than 10 things - it's very very rare to even be able to do that (as mentioned earlier, it's about 7, this is pretty hard wired). The trick is to escalate the way we group things. For example, on this memory test, once they pop up more than 7 things (I think this is on level 6+ if you haven't missed one yet), you start losing some or all of what you were storing. The trick is to create new "patterns" out of the things, which is what I was doing with the mouse trick. By reducing 1-3 items you can raise your IQ on it from about level 7-8 to level 9-10 (about 130 to 145, it seems). Likewise, you can start remembering them in "groups", such as "in a row" and so forth rather than individually.

Exactly. There would have been no way I could have scored that high without memorizing them in groups - the blues with the blues, red with the reds and the yellow with the yellows. And figuring out the patterns or creating your own helps. ;)

Mempy
12-31-2007, 09:32 AM
Yes, and it helped me to imagine when some areas were completely closed off by the monsters, though that didn't help when the monsters were just floating around in the middle of the board. It did help greatly to go about it like Simon says. PT recommended going over the monsters each time a new one came up, I think? That helped a lot!

As for the birdwatching one, all I can say for that one is practice! If you play it enough times, you start to remember the names of birds they've already given you, and you rack up a few more points that way.

For the damn raindrop test, I can't seem to equal the score I got on the third try, which was 144 or something. My problem, I think, is not that I can't do the problems fast enough, but that I haven't found the fastest way to type the numbers in. Granted, I haven't really tried the numb lock way, because I think I'd have to look down at the keyboard to know which keys I was pressing, which would slow me down. What I do is click the keypad they provide with one hand while I hit the enter key with the other.

Athenian200
12-31-2007, 11:28 AM
Yes, and it helped me to imagine when some areas were completely closed off by the monsters, though that didn't help when the monsters were just floating around in the middle of the board. It did help greatly to go about it like Simon says. PT recommended going over the monsters each time a new one came up, I think? That helped a lot!

That's good... although I can't even get past the first four levels, and often I forget the color even when I remember the location. I get through the first ones because I can quickly think of a route where the monsters aren't in order to reach the goal, but I can't recall where they were specifically. Past the fourth level or so, I can't even do this. So my brain is literally struggling with much more than 3 items, and the test starts at that.

As for the birdwatching one, all I can say for that one is practice! If you play it enough times, you start to remember the names of birds they've already given you, and you rack up a few more points that way.

I've been getting much better at that one. All you have to do is focus on everything at once, expand the amount of information you absorb and try to delay processing it. It's a weird mental trick, but I seem to be able to do it.

For the damn raindrop test, I can't seem to equal the score I got on the third try, which was 144 or something. My problem, I think, is not that I can't do the problems fast enough, but that I haven't found the fastest way to type the numbers in. Granted, I haven't really tried the numb lock way, because I think I'd have to look down at the keyboard to know which keys I was pressing, which would slow me down. What I do is click the keypad they provide with one hand while I hit the enter key with the other.

I have to admit, I've had so much trouble with some of the multiplication/division problems that I had to pull out a calculator and enter them into it, and then enter the answer into the computer. I actually got a few of them this way, but it didn't help much in the long run. I'm fine at addition and subtraction for the most part, except I took a while with a few combinations of the larger sums on the suns. I think the key to this one is memorizing my multiplication tables again and practicing addition/subtraction.

CzeCze
12-31-2007, 11:44 AM
In order to even get the site to show up properly on my computer, I had to allow cookies. The fact that I figured out how to do this fills me with greater satisfaction than getting a high score. I feel so competent.

Now I'll take the test.

Attention Birdwatching 101
Memory Monster Garden 150
Processing Speed 157

I did too get SO CLOSE for the bird watching. If this were an PS3 game I would've gotten the points...

These games are fun!

Reaction time:

1st try: .7878 Sluggish Snail (Yes, I got a penalty for throwing a dart at a defenseless innocent sheep)
2nd try: .2118 Bobbing Bobcat
Many attempts after that: ...stupid game razzin' frazzin'

white
12-31-2007, 11:48 AM
In order to even get the site to show up properly on my computer, I had to allow cookies. The fact that I figured out how to do this fills me with greater satisfaction than getting a high score. I feel so competent.

Now I'll take the test.

rofl. Cze, you have to do it in one sitting too. The timing of reaction counts. Have fun. I wonder how many sheep mempy has murdered now.

prplchknz
12-31-2007, 02:52 PM
I think you too should take the whole test again. Make sure you know what the tasks are about. It doesn't seem like you get the attention task. Read the "How to play".

I did read the "How to Play" which was why I got confused in the first place.

prplchknz
12-31-2007, 03:06 PM
so third time I took it and did not read the directions, because I'm convinced that's what screwed me the first time. I got 103 not the best but beats my depressing scores of yesterday so I'm happy.

in attention I got 106
memory-90
proccessing speed-114

ptgatsby
12-31-2007, 05:07 PM
Took the test again when I woke up this morning... averaged out to 160, so I seem able to do it better when tired than when waking up! Worst part is that both my mistakes on the damn mazing thing were right at the end (the "was it left or down that had it?" after tracing 10 steps... meh). I hate that.

targobelle
12-31-2007, 07:09 PM
I shared merely for the coffee comment! ;)

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f201/targo88/sheeps2_1.jpg

Mempy
12-31-2007, 09:45 PM
I get through the first ones because I can quickly think of a route where the monsters aren't in order to reach the goal, but I can't recall where they were specifically.
I have the same problem. I think the monster garden is the hardest one to get better at by practice alone.

I've been getting much better at that one. All you have to do is focus on everything at once, expand the amount of information you absorb and try to delay processing it. It's a weird mental trick, but I seem to be able to do it.

I’ve also figured out that I tend to hit the bird more accurately when I aim a little higher than my first instinct. In other words, for some reason, when I see these birds out of the corner of my eye, I see them a little lower than they really are. Also, the sweet spot on the birds seems to be higher on their body, where their wing meets their body – even more than when you hit them right in the middle. I’ll test this more though.

I think the key to this one is memorizing my multiplication tables again and practicing addition/subtraction.

Absolutely. The only reason I’m pretty good at this is because in grade school they drilled these simple multiplication and divide problems into my head. We literally spent most of third and fourth grade memorizing times tables, haha.

I wonder how many poor sheep mempy has murdered by now.
Lmao, a lot. But hey, I'm only tranquilizing them.

Mempy
12-31-2007, 09:52 PM
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee252/mempyism/damnit.jpg

Damn it, if only I could get under .1 second!

CzeCze
12-31-2007, 09:55 PM
Birdwatching 141
Monster Garden 159
Raindrops 158

Which pushed my overall score up 16 points from 136 to 152. Improving on the birdwatching really helped. The other two games my score is pretty static.

Ha! Maybe my brain works better an hour or two after I wake up as opposed to an hour before I go to bed...

Mempy
12-31-2007, 10:23 PM
Damn you, CzeCze and PT. Do I really have to get higher scores than you, for pride purposes? Couldn't you have spared me the work and scored lower than me?

ptgatsby
12-31-2007, 10:25 PM
I have the same problem. I expect that if you practice, you may get better.

I think some will have difficulties because they are preferring one strategy over the other (I would suspect that those with strong 'preferences' towards certain traits might find particular things harder as a result, but that's just speculation).

Early on, the goal is to remember no more than 3 things - this is the easiest and allows you to also remember the color. Lemme see if I can explain this.

Here's an example of one of the charts. I've added how to compress a 4 pattern into a 2-pattern, so to speak (this is a bad example, but it's easy to explain from the small ones).

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1115&stc=1&d=1199138148

I use blocks of "4" like tetris because I'm used to it. In this case, I knew that the bottom couldn't contain the path (bottom right popped up first), so the pattern I used was the L shape, and just remember L - middle).

It's not always that easy, but here's how I generally do it as it gets more complex (again, from early, but this applies to the big grid even more).

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1116&stc=1&d=1199138172

The blue is the pattern that I remember to be safe, while the red is the line that I knew was not safe. When put together, I don't need to remember anything else (the logical conclusion is that the "z" puts one up, while the rest is safe).

Practise has got my score rise from the 120s to the 150s, so the tricks are important. It's impossible beyond roughly 2400 points (about 130, I think) without starting to use the tricks because humans will need to remember things in clumps, visual clumps, at the 25+ square points.

Also, memory is very good at remembering visuals, which is why the patterns are better than remembering "red here"... also remember that you don't need the color, so just memorise patterns together, if you can (ie: the "line = yellow"). If you do this enough, you should be able to split the colors up even more. That's really hard though... I just try to think of the patterns as colors since that will still only occupy one memory spot. Even if it's not perfect, you can guess within the pattern and often get it right.

I’ve also figured out that I tend to hit the bird more accurately when I aim a little higher than my first instinct. In other words, for some reason, when I see these birds out of the corner of my eye, I see them a little lower than they really are. Also, the sweet spot on the birds seems to be higher on their body, where their wing meets their body – even more than when you hit them right in the middle. I’ll test this more though.

The test isn't balanced. Set your resolution to 800x600 and try it... Do that and use a smaller monitor - I broke 160 doing that. I can only hit 140 using my 22" wide screen.

Absolutely. The only reason I’m pretty good at this is because in grade school they drilled these simple multiplication and divide problems into my head. We literally spent most of third and fourth grade memorizing times tables, haha.

If the basic math is causing problems, you'll probably be limit bound under 10,000 points. At about 3000 points it starts changing the level of math, so you need to be able to deal with higher numbers pretty fast. That'll get you to 10,000. To get to 15,000, you'll need to do them fast - faster than one a second. If you are able to do the suns reasonably well, you should be able to 'push' this score to about 18,000 (about 155 I think). Above 20,000, you need to be able to do all of the above and the xx+xx suns in under 0.75 seconds - typing speed is the hard part here. To push 25,000+ you need to start optimizing the answers (answer those that are 0-10 as soon as you see them). To get to 30,000, you have to be able to store the answer to the suns and enter it as a "reset" every 5 seconds or so... so no pause from answering. After that, marginal improvements will probably get you to 35,000 (I've only hit about 34,000 I think, or whatever 187 is equal to) and it's all about how well you can chain the suns under pressure. And of course, your accuracy should be in the 99% somewhere. Not because it punishes you, but because you can't afford the time to be wrong!

Err... anyway, there is a lot of tiering in this one and it doesn't measure processing speed as much as rote. Once you can recall all the math, you'll jump up a huge amount. Once you are able to do the suns without error (or very little error), you'll jump a huge amount. And to push the limits of the game, you have to be a near-accountant in terms of speed.

(And for the record, I LOVE these games, yes, and I'm doing them to relax while I'm working on my math assignments :huh: )

Grayscale
12-31-2007, 10:37 PM
I got .26 bobbing bobcat. :sad:

Attention - 98
Memory - 153
Processing - 146

Total 132

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/4467/86258640cp7.gif

I think I could do better... I'm in a post-lunch daze right now. :zzz:

I'll try it again at night when I'm much more alert.

Athenian200
12-31-2007, 10:40 PM
I think some will have difficulties because they are preferring one strategy over the other (I would suspect that those with strong 'preferences' towards certain traits might find particular things harder as a result, but that's just speculation).

Early on, the goal is to remember no more than 3 things - this is the easiest and allows you to also remember the color. Lemme see if I can explain this.

Here's an example of one of the charts. I've added how to compress a 4 pattern into a 2-pattern, so to speak (this is a bad example, but it's easy to explain from the small ones).

I use blocks of "4" like tetris because I'm used to it. In this case, I knew that the bottom couldn't contain the path (bottom right popped up first), so the pattern I used was the L shape, and just remember L - middle).

It's not always that easy, but here's how I generally do it as it gets more complex (again, from early, but this applies to the big grid even more).

The blue is the pattern that I remember to be safe, while the red is the line that I knew was not safe. When put together, I don't need to remember anything else (the logical conclusion is that the "z" puts one up, while the rest is safe).

Practise has got my score rise from the 120s to the 150s, so the tricks are important. It's impossible beyond roughly 2400 points (about 130, I think) without starting to use the tricks because humans will need to remember things in clumps, visual clumps, at the 25+ square points.

Also, memory is very good at remembering visuals, which is why the patterns are better than remembering "red here"... also remember that you don't need the color, so just memorise patterns together, if you can (ie: the "line = yellow"). If you do this enough, you should be able to split the colors up even more. That's really hard though... I just try to think of the patterns as colors since that will still only occupy one memory spot. Even if it's not perfect, you can guess within the pattern and often get it right.

Actually, I did something similar... I remembered a safe path because I couldn't remember the exact locations. The only difference was that I'm very bad at it compared to you... I'm not good at processing space. I think it could be my weak S giving me grief here.

Mempy
12-31-2007, 10:48 PM
I love these games too!

I do remember the monsters by envisioning tetris blocks. That's what helps the most. I thought that it was because I was memorizing in clumps too. Though, sometimes the monsters appear in a pattern that doesn't resemble anything, especially when I'm playing with more blocks, so those are hard to remember.

Actually, on the birdwatching, I've got up above 160, I think. I may have hit 8000 in points, which I thought was kickass.

At this point, what's slowing me down is the math. If it gets that much more complicated after 3000, I don't know if I stand much hope.

ptgatsby
12-31-2007, 10:50 PM
Actually, I did something similar... I remembered a safe path because I couldn't remember the exact locations. The only difference was that I'm very bad at it compared to you... I'm not good at processing space. I think it could be my weak S giving me grief here.

:hug: It really is just practise. I'm not really that good at it - I had to do this particular one about 20 times to get into the tricks mindset... and even now, sometimes I find a pattern I haven't seen before and I'm screwed.

It's always said to work on one's inferior functions, and while I don't think this has as much to do with functions, it can only help. The same technique can be used from everything from studying to playing chess. And different tricks can be used to memorise incredible amounts of information (the common example being memorising the order of an entire deck of cards). It's all just practise! (But if you haven't used it much in your life, it may take a while of repeated practise. Same goes for the math - repetition is all it takes.)

ptgatsby
12-31-2007, 11:08 PM
At this point, what's slowing me down is the math. If it gets that much more complicated after 3000, I don't know if I stand much hope.

At 140, you are doing pretty gamn good. It doesn't get any harder, I don't think, except you need to be able to do the xx+y problems and the xx-y problems just as fast. And you need to get luck in the 15,000+ range too, so there is an element of that. I can do problems just under 2/second and I can't keep up after about 18,000. Without suns, it quickly turns around on me. Get a string of about 30 problems without a sun and you will lose a life. At the end of my best run, they were coming so fast I couldn't read them easily anymore - between 5 and 10 a second. If they cover the sun before you register it, you lose. If the sun doesn't come, you lose. You get the sun wrong, you lose.

It's fun, but the test is quite erratic! I like the brainage version of the math problems.

white
01-01-2008, 04:04 AM
Edit: removed to another thread. This poor test was getting buried under sheep and monsters and falling raindrops. :cry:

Mempy
01-01-2008, 04:04 AM
I'm getting closer. .1144 seconds!

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee252/mempyism/closer.jpg

cascadeco
01-01-2008, 04:09 AM
Hehe...this test is so fun to do. I love it. :)

And apparently I do best when I'm slightly inebriated with two glasses of wine in me!!! :cheers:

---------------------------
Your Total Score:

Want to improve your LumosIQ?

Sharpen your mind with Lumosity - a scientifically designed brain fitness program shown to improve memory and attention. Lumosity consists of engaging games and exercises designed to adapt to your skill level.

Learn more
Your Brightness Rating:

Detailed LumosIQ Results:

Attention
Birdwatching
Memory
Monster Garden
Processing Speed
Raindrops
Total Score:

white
01-01-2008, 04:09 AM
I'm getting closer. .1144 seconds!

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee252/mempyism/closer.jpg

:rofl1: I think you just have to preempt one sheep successfully and you'd get the cheetah. =D

cascadeco
01-01-2008, 04:13 AM
But the wine is apparently affecting my reaction time in the 2nd test. :rolleyes:

0.3412 average time. Ambling armadillo.

CzeCze
01-01-2008, 04:56 AM
I'm being super nerdy (thanks Aelan) I signed up for the 2 week free trial of brain trainers from Luminosity. Even more games. Very very fun. If anyone wants to be super nerdy with me and challenge each others scores, pm me. It would require setting up an free membership as well.

white
01-01-2008, 05:01 AM
meh! try the colour test? or should I put that in another thread? I didn't want to create a new thread of tests every week.

Athenian200
01-01-2008, 05:03 AM
But the wine is apparently affecting my reaction time in the 2nd test. :rolleyes:

0.3412 average time. Ambling armadillo.

Why are you taking the test after imbibing wine? You know you should take that test after a stimulant, not a relaxant.

cascadeco
01-01-2008, 05:06 AM
Oh, because sadly I had nothing better to do. :D And the tests are so fun!

Athenian200
01-01-2008, 05:25 AM
Oh, because sadly I had nothing better to do. :D And the tests are so fun!

That they are... I can't pull myself away from them when I'm at the computer. I'm glad I'm not playing them for money, I fear I'd become a compulsive gambler. Although I can now see why slot machines are addictive.

niffer
01-02-2008, 12:01 AM
LumosIQ: 127
Attention: 144
Memory: 99
Processing Speed: 138

Sheep thang: bobbing bobcat

Lateralus
01-22-2008, 07:26 AM
LumosIQ: 124
Attention: 87
Memory: 133
Processing Speed: 152

I suppose it doesn't help that I took this at 2 in the morning. I was horrible on that birdwatching.

Sheep test: 0.2176 seconds Bobbing bobcat.

Kanamori
01-26-2008, 05:15 AM
It's really unreliable.

ailicak
02-03-2008, 03:42 AM
It would be hard to obtain the IQ's of everyone, in an honest manner in a forum such as this. It may be possible to compare your beginning and ending Brain Point indexes , if they have any significance, take the percentage gain then correlate that to your IQ percentile.

For instance: beginning total BPI= 5000
ending total BPI = 10000
ending/beginning= 200%

beginning IQ percentile: 95%(top 5 %) = 124.7
ending IQ percentile: 97.5%(top 2.5%) = 129.5

If there is a direct correlation which I doubt, then all corporations should have a mandatory 20 minute lumosity session per week.

IQ percentiles can be found online.

Mr Galt
03-02-2008, 11:33 PM
I could not do the birdwatching to save my life...

Attention: 156 (see edit)
Memory : 166
Processing: 147

I need to learn to use the keypad. I have very inaccurate clicking. It screwed me on the monsters on some of the 7+ when I got nervous.
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/5628/97719644tn1.jpg

edit: After about 8 tries on the birds I got it up to 156.
http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/9203/12714959ti3.jpg

white
03-03-2008, 03:58 AM
It's really unreliable.

but it is fun. :D

nightning
03-03-2008, 04:02 AM
I still have no idea what you're suppose to be doing with the letter guessing thing on bird watching x-X Very easy to pin point the bird... just can't guess the word.

The Ü™
03-03-2008, 05:57 PM
Overall, I scored 103. (I'm an idiot.)

The bird one I got 88. (Though I started it before knowing what I needed to do.)
The monster one I got 100 or something like that.
The raindrop one I got 122.

EDIT:

Second time, I got 128.

Attention: 123
Memory: 140
Processing Speed: 121

pure_mercury
03-03-2008, 06:59 PM
LumosIQ = 149
Attention = 146
Memory = 137
Processing Speed = 160

Lumosity - iq_tests:cookies_test (http://www.lumosity.com/iq_tests/score)

Rocketing Rabbit, with average of 0.2 seconds on the sheep thing.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/sleep/sheep/reaction_version5.swf

Fun tests! Keep them coming!

pure_mercury
03-03-2008, 08:54 PM
Got it up to 154, with a 158, 145, 160 breakdown. :party2:

cerili
04-16-2008, 11:18 PM
total: 160

attention: 165
memory: 155
processing speed: 160

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/4664/lumositync7.jpg

ps. what are the top scores for this thing? answer at msn:ancient_times@hotmail.com if you have time

Grayscale
04-17-2008, 01:27 AM
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/505/lumosiqkv9.gif

kept making mistakes on processing speed :dry:

edit: tried again and got 152 for 156 total... need to study my multiplication tables :doh:

edit2: still stuck at bobbing bobcat!

Zelath
06-22-2008, 11:26 PM
Lumosity test: 131
Attention: 146
Memory: 110
Processing speed: 139

Sheep tranquilizing:
Sample 1 average: 0.2022 seconds
Sample 2 average: 0.279 seconds
Sample 3 average: 0.2046 seconds

... not bad for having been up since 11pm last night I suppose

entropie
06-23-2008, 04:40 PM
My first try:

http://sn0opy83.sn.funpic.de/gnaa_star.JPG

Lost track of that damned monsters xD

The best part was guessing english bird namens but I did do good. I picked goose, condor and what was it Lark ? xD Good they put pictures next to the right names, so I get a little clue, what birds I am dealing with xD