PDA

View Full Version : Pride and Prejudice Character Types

celesul
08-03-2007, 10:40 PM
What types do you think the characters (from the movie especially) are? I'm unsure about most, though Mr. Darcy seems VERY INTJ. And is it just me, or is the movie more romantic, and the book funnier?

clairebear8
08-07-2007, 04:38 AM
darcy is intj... elizabeth is enfp...jane is infp or isfp...mr bennett iis intp

The Grey Badger
09-22-2007, 08:26 PM
darcy is intj... elizabeth is enfp...jane is infp or isfp...mr bennett iis intp

Mr. Collins is ISTJ and Lady Catherine is ESTJ. Or why they get along so well together. :heart:

INTJMom
12-29-2007, 04:39 PM
What types do you think the characters (from the movie especially) are? I'm unsure about most, though Mr. Darcy seems VERY INTJ. And is it just me, or is the movie more romantic, and the book funnier?I agree with you that the film seems more romantic and the book seems more funny.

Mr. Darcy has a lot of INTJ traits and ISTJ triats as well. For example that he never raised his voice at his servants, was never cross at them, and was benevolent to all his subjects seems more ISTJ to me. Also, his accepting responsibility for Wickham and his regular attendance to his business affairs including the writing of letters, all seems ISTJ to me.

The thing that seems most INTJ is his behavior at the dance hall, but I have an ISTJ brother-in-law who could use a few lessons in getting along with people, if you get my drift.

To tell the truth I think he's both. You can do that with a fictional character. ;)

arcticangel02
12-29-2007, 06:00 PM
Mr. Bennett - INTP
Jane - INFP
Mrs. Bennett - ESFJ
Mr. Bingley - ISFP

This site (http://www.jasna.org/persuasions/on-line/vol22no1/rytting.html)argues that Darcy is an INTJ and Elizabeth an INFJ.

And to broaden the topic a little, I'm actually reading Emma at the moment. Anyone want to have a guess at those characters? Emma seems like an ExFJ to me.

INTJMom
12-29-2007, 06:07 PM
Mr. Bennett - INTP
Jane - INFP
Mrs. Bennett - ESFJ
Mr. Bingley - ISFP

This site (http://www.jasna.org/persuasions/on-line/vol22no1/rytting.html)argues that Darcy is an INTJ and Elizabeth an INFJ.

And to broaden the topic a little, I'm actually reading Emma at the moment. Anyone want to have a guess at those characters? Emma seems like an ExFJ to me.Isn't Mrs. Bennett more ditsy than ESFJ? Isn't she more ESFP? She was just as excited as the girls that the "Officers!" were coming. And thinking about it, the way she made Jane catch a cold on purpose just to manipulate the situation so her daughter could catch a rich husband seems very ESTP-ish to me.

The Grey Badger
12-29-2007, 08:41 PM
Mr. Bennett - INTP
Jane - INFP
Mrs. Bennett - ESFJ
Mr. Bingley - ISFP

And to broaden the topic a little, I'm actually reading Emma at the moment. Anyone want to have a guess at those characters? Emma seems like an ExFJ to me.

This essay actually makes more sense than seeing Elizabeth as a Thinking type. I read Keirsey and kept trying to place her among the NTs and failed. Darcy is decidedly INTJ, and Mr. Bennet such a classic INTP I could almost see him with an Einstein hairdo.

INTJMom
12-29-2007, 11:50 PM
Mr. Bennett - INTP
Jane - INFP
Mrs. Bennett - ESFJ
Mr. Bingley - ISFP

And to broaden the topic a little, I'm actually reading Emma at the moment. Anyone want to have a guess at those characters? Emma seems like an ExFJ to me.That was a great article obviously written by someone who has good command of the subject.
I guess I will have to concede that Darcy is an INTJ.

Sorry, I haven't read Emma recently enough.

Little Linguist
03-01-2009, 06:58 PM
What do you think about the characters in Pride and Prejudice? :) Forgive me if there has already been a thread about this topic, but I haven't found one.

Pretty sure that Elizabeth is ENFP and Mr. Darcy is either INFJ or INTJ....leaning towards INFJ....

The younger two sisters are SP I think. As well as the other rich gentleman, Bingley.

Mary is probably either SJ or NT...

The father is an SJ of some kind, I think. The mother as well....ESFJ I think....

What do you think?

INTJMom
03-01-2009, 07:15 PM
I think Darcy is a T. I can't imagine him being so blunt during his proposal if he was not.
I think he has INTJ and ISTJ qualities.

pippi
03-01-2009, 08:17 PM
Mr. Darcy is INTJ. Elizabeth is INFJ in the book, but was played as an ENFP in the recent movie.

Giggly
03-03-2009, 02:41 AM
Any guesses on the oldest sister Jane Bennett's type? She's the only one that hasn't been mentioned yet.

heart
03-03-2009, 02:43 AM
Any guesses on the oldest sister Jane Bennett's type? She's the only one that hasn't been mentioned yet.

We went into it some here:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/arts-entertainment/3408-jane-austen-masterpiece-theatre.html

hokie912
03-04-2009, 04:54 AM

ISFJ would be mine.

Kasper
03-04-2009, 06:48 AM
“I do not have the talent of conversing easily with people I have never met before” ~Darcy

INTJ to the core :yes:

*swoon*

WaveFlipper
03-11-2009, 11:22 PM
Why is it automatically assumed that Darcy is intuitive? I see this at every MBTI site but he is anything but that. If intuition can be defined as the ability to recognize patterns and possibilities without the need for readily apparent facts and details, then Darcy fails miserably as an intuitive type. While everyone in the book can see that Jane is in love with Bingley, he needs a smack upside the head from Elizabeth to see it. Nor can he even intuit his own love for Elizabeth. When she asks him how he can account for his love of her he replies, "I cannot fix on the hour, or the spot, or the look, or the words, which laid the foundation. It is too long ago. I was in the middle before I knew that I had begun.”

Intuitives see foundation principles long before supporting facts, yet here he admits that only after a long succession of events could he see his feelings. No Eureka moment. And as great as the book is Jane Austen does not ever really develop Darcy's interests. He manages his affairs, avoids dancing, and rides his horse quite a bit.

So where is the evidence of intuition?

ThatsWhatHeSaid
03-11-2009, 11:54 PM
Merged Pride and Prejudice threads.

michL87
06-05-2009, 04:14 PM
Darcy: INTJ or ISTJ. WaveFlipper makes a good point about Darcy... I'm leaning more toward ISTJ because of that, even though my initial reaction was INTJ.

Lizzy: ENFP in both movie and book. I don't think she's an I, even though she enjoys time by herself. She reacts and makes decisions very quickly; she doesn't take time to ponder them like an I would.

Jane: INFP.

Mr. Bingley: ESFP. He's definitely a sensor (this becomes more obvious in the book.) Lydia is also ESFP, along with the other sister she's always with (her name is slipping my mind at the moment.)

Mrs. Bennet: ESFJ.

Mr. Bennett: INTP.

Kitty: ISFJ? Maybe.

Miss Bennet (Bingley's sister): ENTJ.

Ever since getting into MBTI, I can no longer read a book or watch a movie without typing everyone in my mind.

dynamiteninja
06-05-2009, 09:22 PM
Ever since getting into MBTI, I can no longer read a book or watch a movie without typing everyone in my mind.

Same, although getting my English degree makes me critically analyse whatever books or movies/TV I come across anyway.

michL87
06-07-2009, 03:44 PM
Same, although getting my English degree makes me critically analyse whatever books or movies/TV I come across anyway.

I'm an English Major, too :)
I'm always looking for foreshadowing, symbolism, etc. when I watch something. One time I pointed out a symbol from a movie to my family and they thought I was crazy --- they just don't know to analyze everything!

Anyway, back on topic, I'm mid-way through re-reading Pride and Prejudice (I read it when I was much younger, but don't remember much now except for what I saw in the movie), and right now I'm thinking Lizzy might be more "S" than "N," although I'll try giving my opinion after finishing the book :)

I could see her as ESFP. We'll see.

Edit: What type do you all think Mr. Collins is??? ESTJ? (A really socially awkward one...)

entropie
08-23-2011, 03:10 PM
Mr. Darcy: intp
Elizabeth Bennett: infp
Jane Bennett: isfj
Mr. Bingsley: exfp
Madame Bennett: esfj
mr. Bennett: infp
Mr. Collins: badass

SilkRoad
08-23-2011, 03:14 PM
Mr. Darcy: intp
Elizabeth Bennett: infp
Jane Bennett: isfj
Mr. Bingsley: exfp
Madame Bennett: esfj
mr. Bennett: infp
Mr. Collins: badass

I'd go with some the same, some different from yours.

Mr. Darcy: INTJ
Elizabeth Bennett: ENFJ
Jane Bennett: ISFJ
Mr. Bingley: ESFP
Madame Bennett: ESFJ
mr. Bennett: INTP
Mr. Collins: badass...LOL. Maybe ISTJ or ESTJ? Not sure.

By the way, Mr and Mrs Bennett remind me very much of an INTP-ESFJ couple I know, and I'm afraid that's not a very good thing. :shock:

Orangey
08-24-2011, 03:23 AM
Darcy is one of the most ISTJ characters I've ever encountered in literature.

Elizabeth is some sort of FJ, and I'm inclined to think ENFJ.

Jane is probably an ISFJ.

Bingley is an ESFJ.

Lydia is an ESFP.

The mom is an ESFJ.

The dad is probably an INTP.

Kitty is ISFP.

Mary is ISTJ.

Mr. Collins is a really dumb ISTJ.

Lady Catherine is an ESTJ.

Wickham is an ESTP.

SilkRoad
08-24-2011, 09:47 AM
Another one... I'd probably go with ISTJ for Charlotte Lucas.

I agree with most of your Orangey, except the ones I didn't agree on. :D

sciski
08-26-2011, 10:20 PM

Bingley is an ESFJ.

Lydia is an ESFP.

The mom is an ESFJ.

Kitty is ISFP.

Mary is ISTJ.

Wickham is an ESTP.

Mostly agreed.

Darcy: ISTJ
Elizabeth: ENFJ
Jane: ISFP
Bingley: ESFJ
Lydia: ESFP
Mrs Bennett: ESFP
Mr Bennett: INTP
Kitty: xSFJ
Mary: xSTJ
Mr. Collins: ISTJ
Lady Catherine: ESTJ
Charlotte: ISTP
Wickham: ESTP

Giggly
08-26-2011, 10:42 PM

Bingley is an ESFJ.

Lydia is an ESFP.

The mom is an ESFJ.

Kitty is ISFP.

Mary is ISTJ.

Wickham is an ESTP.

I agree with all of these. Mr. Darcy is always said to be INTJ but actually he seems way more of a Sensor than an iNtuitive. The only characters in the book who seem iNtuitive are Elizabeth and the Dad.

entropie
08-30-2011, 04:13 PM
I agree with all of these. Mr. Darcy is always said to be INTJ but actually he seems way more of a Sensor than an iNtuitive. The only characters in the book who seem iNtuitive are Elizabeth and the Dad.

hehe its intresting that you'd exactly type the characters I'd type sensors to be intuitives (ok except for dad, what leaves one character :D). I'd type darcy as intuitive in the blink of an eye, let alone his whole collection of selfmade abstract art. Tho this art would prolly motivate you to type him a sensor, since art is real and sensorical. I'd see it from the point that art is abstract thoughts brought to reality.

its intresting how obviously we would have a different opinion and viewport but we cant really formulate the precise reason for this

Orangey
08-30-2011, 04:36 PM
hehe its intresting that you'd exactly type the characters I'd type sensors to be intuitives (ok except for dad, what leaves one character :D). I'd type darcy as intuitive in the blink of an eye, let alone his whole collection of selfmade abstract art. Tho this art would prolly motivate you to type him a sensor, since art is real and sensorical. I'd see it from the point that art is abstract thoughts brought to reality.

its intresting how obviously we would have a different opinion and viewport but we cant really formulate the precise reason for this

I have some pretty concrete reasons for calling him an ISTJ. The high and low points of his character all correspond more to ISTJ than INTJ. He was (by his own admission) duty-bound, he was concerned about what was "appropriate" and decorous behavior for himself and others given respective social stations, and he prided himself on his ability to adhere strictly to both of those things.

Also, he only collected art pieces (which were not really abstract, since that movement wouldn't have existed at the time the book was written.) They were not "selfmade."

entropie
08-30-2011, 04:47 PM
I have some pretty concrete reasons for calling him an ISTJ. The high and low points of his character all correspond more to ISTJ than INTJ. He was (by his own admission) duty-bound, he was concerned about what was "appropriate" and decorous behavior for himself and others given respective social stations, and he prided himself on his ability to adhere strictly to both of those things.

Also, he only collected art pieces (which were not really abstract, since that movement wouldn't have existed at the time the book was written.) They were not "selfmade."

Ha see those are things I didnt even notice in the movie. I saw it that way that it remembered me and my gf of our meeting, in which I was pride, the guy who doesnt fight for what he desires out of sole pride ( "Tell me know you dont love me and I wont bother you ever again" ). And she was prejudice, the girl that emotionally judges too quickly and whose opinion can be changed in a second because she doesnt listen to her heart (Darcy stopped the wedding and played the supposingly bad role regarding his foster brother).

No, this story had a lot of parallels to my own life :)

He won me over 100% when he said "I am not good at initiating a conversation" dead on :D