User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    istp

Default ambition/success in society vs. following your passions

do you think it is better to follow ambitions which lead to success (by society's definition) and to do what "makes sense", or to follow your passions regardless of the disadvantages your lifestyle may suffer?

if so many people say the same thing, do you think that gives it more credit (ie, maybe they're on to something you dont know?)

Banned
    MBTI
    type

People aren't satisfied no matter their level of success if they aren't following their passions. This applies even to people who were born to achieve success and do nothing but. They always want more.

You can combine the two, if you're lucky.

Furthermore, I've seen more broke people than rich people who seem to have achieved some sort of zen state, a contentment, in their single-wide trailers.

MBTI
    ENTP

I think it's better to follow passions. What's the point on living for what other people expects?
    To do what you really want is a true success, more than just being another one in the crowd.
    5w4 - Idiosyncratic/Leisurely/Dramatic
    It's the devil's way now.

MBTI
    INTJ

Why not do both if you can?
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INFP

That's what I did - both.

I fooled around some after high school but then I got going on "doing the right thing." Mixed a lot of fun in amongst it all but didn't much like punching a clock.

Now I'm strictly on doing what I want and when I want.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

Both would be great, but if forced to chose, ambition/success is a bit like a trap.

The short term decissions will make it harder and harder to choose "passion."

I'm not sure if passion would be better because I don't know the pitfalls.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I would never do anything other than my passion. I mean this in the most rigid, uncompromising way possible, too.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

I followed my passion and I'm broke. I'm starting to see the benefits of the other side.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I'm quite broke myself. I think it eventually comes down, not to what you would rather be doing or rather have in a positive sense, but what you would be willing to endure. Can you take the years of shabby clothes and second-hand furniture/equipment? Or would you rather take the mind-numbing job day in and day out? And no, I'm not saying that all jobs that offer high financial rewards are necessarily mind-numbing or dull...just that any job that you place yourself in that is not what you want to be doing will be mind-numbing and dull.

I personally have a zero threshold of tolerance for the latter option, and I would therefore take the poverty any day rather than be bored. And I don't care how many hobbies or side-things that I can choose to do in my spare time as a result of having more money from a better paying but boring job...the fact is I would always have to face the realization that I spend the majority of my time (short as it is on this Earth) doing exactly what I would not like to be doing.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

If I succeed at what I'm currently doing, I will considered successful by societies standards. But that doesn't include a 9-5 job, I plan to always be self-employed. I had a full-time job for one month, and got fired for calling in sick, and this just motivated me even more never to work for someone else.

The way I see it, I will be able to follow my passions and creative goals (music and film) more so if I become financially secure or wealthy, than in poverty. But I don't view the starving artist lifestyle as a negative thing at all, I might even enjoy it. But I have a natural motivation towards business and entrepreneurship.