User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I believe that (for myself) it's valid that I need to find something that pays me the bills - actually, I would prefer to find something that gives me complete financial security for a long period of time - which, in turn, will give me full possibility of pursuing my passions. Obviously, what finances me must also be pleasurable, but I personally do not need it to be my passion.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Why not do both if you can?
    Unfortunately, life is full of compromises.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    do you think it is better to follow ambitions which lead to success (by society's definition) and to do what "makes sense", or to follow your passions regardless of the disadvantages your lifestyle may suffer?

if so many people say the same thing, do you think that gives it more credit (ie, maybe they're on to something you dont know?)
    This probably depends on the individual. What I've learned about myself is that I (currently) am unable to make any living doing something I love. So instead I've taken a job that will lead to some financial security and hopefully I can spingboard that into something better or else retire early.

Some people are lucky. A person who knows they will enjoy being a doctor and has the capability to do so will have the best of everything (wealth, satisfaction, etc...). On the other hand is a person who knows they will never be able to make a living with their passion; for example a person who absolutely loves golf but isn't good enough to play pro. And then there is also the person who has no idea what their passion is.

So I'd say if you know what your passion is, and you can make even a meager living at it, then consider yourself lucky. Seriously if your passion is teaching then I'd say, "Be a teacher!" At least you can make a living at it. That makes you better off than the golf lover who will never be good enough to make a living.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTP

Passions definitely. Not like I have a choice anyway. I've already burned all my bridges as far as doing anything society expects of me goes.
    I know a girl, she's one of a kind
    But the poor little thing, she's going out of her mind
    There's something you forgot - there's a reason why she's lost
    Cos baby she don't want to be found

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i think you're ignoring the point otherwise

MBTI
    infp

It seems easier to say than do.

I read an interesting article about this:

PhilaLawyer.net | The "Get Rich Quick" Generation (Nuggets, Vol. IV)

Apparently he's a discontent lawyer who didn't know what other career to get into, and his hobby is writing about corporate people like him who hate their jobs. He calls this the "get rich quick, doing something you like" generation.

He has another relevant article:

PhilaLawyer.net | Three Questions

What do you think?

MBTI
    INTJ

do you think it is better to follow ambitions which lead to success (by society's definition) and to do what "makes sense", or to follow your passions regardless of the disadvantages your lifestyle may suffer?

if so many people say the same thing, do you think that gives it more credit (ie, maybe they're on to something you dont know?)
    I chased after my dreams for a while, but I didn't make any money, so I had to do something else instead.
    I'm glad I tried, even though it didn't work out.
    I didn't want to live with the regret of never having tried.

Reality is: it's nice to eat and have a roof over your head.
    It depends on how much you need in life.
    Some people can live on very little.

MBTI
    infp

What dreams do you guys have/did you chase?

MBTI
    INTJ

I moved to Nashville TN when I was 19 hoping to be discovered as a singer, songwriter, recording artist.
    I lived there two years.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTp

I am personally following my passion, but the cool thing about it, is that if I make it, I will also be successful from a sociological perspective. I personally want to go to medical school in hopes of being able to run a low income clinic. I can think of nothing else I want to do, it's just a hard long way to get there though. I know that if I do pursue my dream, my life style will suffer for a little bit (10 or so years) but once I am working, I will be more than happy and relaxed.