• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Medschool/doctor path... Im not sure that its worth it anymore.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
On a side note, I think I finally come to terms that I will never ever be an OB/GYN, by choice that is. Hell, most guys love coochi, but my god...

No offense to the other half of the population or the great doctors that work with them. It's just one of those things you know you won't be good at. Dang... Now I feel sexist...

What made you want to OB/GYN in the first place?

Angry Ayrab

MBTI Type
ENFP
What made you want to OB/GYN in the first place?

To be honest, I never really wanted to be one seriously. I just had little kid, highschool sense of coolness for the thing.

Later on, I thought that it would be good to be a Family Practice physician with OB/GYN training so I can work in a rural setting. I also thought that birth would be the most beautiful thing... EFFFF NO, blood, goo, placenta, mucus and baby everywhere, yuck...

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
In many countries (UK, Singapore, all of Australia before uni of Melb adopted the "Melbourne Model") Med school is something that you can do straight out of HS. The prereqs are covered in 1st year med school. I considered doing it at that point, but decided against it because 1) my parents were not supportive and thought I wouldn't be a good doctor, blah blah lawsuits 2) I wasn't going to make a 5-year commitment at age 18.

I kinda regretted it all the way through university, but if there's something I'm completely certain of, I won't apply for postgrad Med because, as you said, the QOL is crap and the pay is crappier. I'm already 22, I don't want to spend another 4-5 years in school plus housemanship, with tonnes of loans. The irony is that if I start doing a PhD next year, I will spend 2 more years in uni than I would've if I'd done medicine at age 18. Ugh. *smacks head*

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
In many countries (UK, Singapore, all of Australia before uni of Melb adopted the "Melbourne Model") Med school is something that you can do straight out of HS. The prereqs are covered in 1st year med school.

That's what happens here, too. Still, you need to go through at least 6 years of school in order to actually become a doctor.