• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Help me not fail this paper because of my procrastination!!!

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Please answer these two questions sometime in the next 4-6 hours (sooner, preferably) if you are in one of the following age brackets:

1. 18-29
2. 30-44
3. 60+

What age group are you in?

What is your idea of good citizenship?

What do you think is your responsibility to the public/others?

Thanks. :nice:

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Pay your taxes, do not commit big crimes and hope that it's all you need to do for the country.
None. The system didn't ask me if I want to go to school and the military, but I did. After getting this far, I don't feel like I owe anything. If there is a war, sure, I'll go, but that has to do with keeping my family and friends safe, not with "the public". Other than that, having some morals should be enough, and not to break too many rules.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
1. 1

2. Citizenship, hmm, like in the literal sense, like how am I a good citizen?

3. To not be an asshole, to be kind, to help out, to one day teach i.e., give back, to inform, to be a role model (in certain respects :devil:), to intervene if I see something fucked up or shady happen.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Please answer these two questions sometime in the next 4-6 hours (sooner, preferably) if you are in one of the following age brackets:

1. 18-29
2. 30-44
3. 60+

Broad concept. In short, "good" citizenship is exercising unique privileges offered by your particular government. Whether performed by participating in the electoral/legislative process; volunteering; taking the time to educate yourself on the historical framework that gave rise to your system of government; or just simply defending the rights of others to exercise their right to citizenship, I think there are myriad ways to fundamentally be a "good" citizen.

My responsibility is to advance the quality of life for others. In practice, this is taking the time to hold accountable elements within my government to ethical standards that protect the rights of the citizen as the most important particle. Fundamental to this concept is my belief that a nation exists to advance - not serve - the individual.

A cooperation in effort towards a future that provides dignity for everyone - not just those within geopolitical lines of national distinction - is my ultimate aim.

OctaviaCaesar

MBTI Type
INFJ

I am in the 18-29 age group.

My idea of good citizenship is to obey all authority (that does not go against God's laws) as legitiamate authoity, and to provide some kind of volunteer service for the community.

My responsibility to others is to treat them with respect and dignity, and to some degree make charitable donation to those less fortunate.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP

1. 18-29
2. 30-44
3. 60+

Heh.. any reason why you didn't want the 45-59 year olds?

Usehername

On a mission

1. 18-29
2. 30-44
3. 60+

1. Group 1
2. Pouring the energy and resources you have access to into yourself so that you can be the most competent member of your community--and then pour all that you can back into your community without taking away parts of yourself.
3. I think no one lives in a vacuum--I think we're all happier when we're doing something to help others, and though we need to be kind to ourselves and maintain self-respect by attending to our needs, when we are others-focused we are most productive and soulfully happy. I can fight a lot harder for someone else than I can for myself. This also increases my self-image, which strengthens my ability to fight harder for others.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I could lie about my age if you'd like? XD

What age group are you in? 1

What is your idea of good citizenship? Foremost is attempting to constantly be self-reliant, Paying your taxes, voting, researching what you're voting for before you do, obeying the law to the best of your ability, paying for it properly when you don't, and holding some sort of position that helps your society (volunteering, working, going to school, etc.) .. That's all I can think of for now.

What do you think is your responsibility to the public/others? Other than the above? Keeping a standard of living and hygiene, being respectful (to a degree) to your neighbors.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3

1. 18-29

to do whatever maximizes the good of the community. you can't completely sacrifice yourself to the community but you can make an effort to that general direction. i know this is an ideal, but this is also the definition of 'good citizenship'.

as i said, your responsibility is to look after the greater good of the community. voting is something that should be included in this discussion as keeping a crap leader in charge is not in the community's best interest.

one should also act in accordance with the laws as breaking them all the time will create a downward spiral towards anarchy. however, laws are also based on ethics and whenever one has to choose between the law and a huge ethical crime, one has to choose ethics. there's no reason to honor the law of not stealing for example if there was not some ethical reason supporting it. social contract theory is an ethical theory too, so there really isn't any reason for ethics to not be involved.

god i love me some political theory :D. o also agree with CC. obey all authority? what is 'legitimate authority'? real slippery slope.

B

ByMySword

Group 1

To serve my country through some type of public service (military, law enforcement, public education) at least once in my life for a certain amount of time. One day doesn't cut it people, lol.

To obey the JUST/LOGICAL/ETHICAL laws of my country. Of course this applies only to what I as an individual person deem just, logical, or ethical.

Edit: And educated voting.

I have no obligation to the public other than to not infringe on their rights and ensure that they don't infringe on mine or anyone I care about.

Common social courtesies are nice, but not required.

Any others would include my family or my Brothers. As for them, my responsibilities are to love them, support them, defend their honor, and do whatever it is within my power to ensure their success in life.

Last edited:

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
I could probably do without the 60+ if I have to, but I need at least 1 or 2 30-45s.

Group 2 (for reals).

I believe that good citizenship is to support the rule of law, in both actions and belief (not blindly, but the general concept of the rule of law). I've thought a lot about this and a strong rule of law is what seems to separate countries which are politically stable from those which aren't.

Edit: I forgot to mention voting. I think good citizenship includes thoughtful voting - to vote in a way that reflects your personal values. Good citizenship may also include being mindful that others have different personal values to you and that in the interests of having a politically stable system, candidates should reflect the diversity in personal values, no matter how distasteful some of those differing personal values may be to you.

I have a less clear idea about my responsibility to the public/others. I don't think I have any intrinsic responsibility to the public/others other than to follow the rule of law, to be mindful of the needs of others and mindful of the need to reduce my impact on the environment.

I choose to regularly donate to a charity and work in a job that contributes to society but I don't see those two as a responsibility - it's my personal choice to do so. I do see it as my responsibility to do my job well, though, given the nature of my job.

Edit: I just re-read the OP more closely. I suspect I posted somewhat after the deadline... Ah well.

ygolo

My termites win

18-29

Educated voting, conscientious volunteering, and informed charity.

To do what you believe will make the dociety a better place for all.