User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me not fail this paper because of my procrastination!!!

`~~Philosoflying~~` Array SillySapienne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OctaviaCaesar View Post
    My idea of good citizenship is to obey all authority (that does not go against God's laws) as legitiamate authoity, and to provide some kind of volunteer service for the community.
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

What age group are you in?

1. 18-29

What is your idea of good citizenship?

to do whatever maximizes the good of the community. you can't completely sacrifice yourself to the community but you can make an effort to that general direction. i know this is an ideal, but this is also the definition of 'good citizenship'.

What do you think is your responsibility to the public/others?

as i said, your responsibility is to look after the greater good of the community. voting is something that should be included in this discussion as keeping a crap leader in charge is not in the community's best interest.

one should also act in accordance with the laws as breaking them all the time will create a downward spiral towards anarchy. however, laws are also based on ethics and whenever one has to choose between the law and a huge ethical crime, one has to choose ethics. there's no reason to honor the law of not stealing for example if there was not some ethical reason supporting it. social contract theory is an ethical theory too, so there really isn't any reason for ethics to not be involved.

god i love me some political theory . o also agree with CC. obey all authority? what is 'legitimate authority'? real slippery slope.

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Group 1

To serve my country through some type of public service (military, law enforcement, public education) at least once in my life for a certain amount of time. One day doesn't cut it people, lol.

To obey the JUST/LOGICAL/ETHICAL laws of my country. Of course this applies only to what I as an individual person deem just, logical, or ethical.

Edit: And educated voting.

I have no obligation to the public other than to not infringe on their rights and ensure that they don't infringe on mine or anyone I care about.

Common social courtesies are nice, but not required.

Any others would include my family or my Brothers. As for them, my responsibilities are to love them, support them, defend their honor, and do whatever it is within my power to ensure their success in life.
    Last edited by ByMySword; 10-16-2008 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    I could probably do without the 60+ if I have to, but I need at least 1 or 2 30-45s.
    Group 2 (for reals).

I believe that good citizenship is to support the rule of law, in both actions and belief (not blindly, but the general concept of the rule of law). I've thought a lot about this and a strong rule of law is what seems to separate countries which are politically stable from those which aren't.

Edit: I forgot to mention voting. I think good citizenship includes thoughtful voting - to vote in a way that reflects your personal values. Good citizenship may also include being mindful that others have different personal values to you and that in the interests of having a politically stable system, candidates should reflect the diversity in personal values, no matter how distasteful some of those differing personal values may be to you.

I have a less clear idea about my responsibility to the public/others. I don't think I have any intrinsic responsibility to the public/others other than to follow the rule of law, to be mindful of the needs of others and mindful of the need to reduce my impact on the environment.

I choose to regularly donate to a charity and work in a job that contributes to society but I don't see those two as a responsibility - it's my personal choice to do so. I do see it as my responsibility to do my job well, though, given the nature of my job.

Edit: I just re-read the OP more closely. I suspect I posted somewhat after the deadline... Ah well. much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

Educated voting, conscientious volunteering, and informed charity.

To do what you believe will make the dociety a better place for all.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield