User Tag List

123 Last

Default [Rant] Despite a top 1% SAT score, I'm fucked regarding college admissions

I went to a college fair yesterday, and found a bunch of schools that might be decent. It made me feel calmer, considering that earlier, I was being narrow-mided and thought there were only 2 or 3 decent colleges.

The colleges I took into consideration have 25th-75th percentile SAT ranges of ~1350-~1540, and 25th-75th percentile ACT ranges of ~28-~34, which is fine because I got a 1490 (730 EBRW/760 Math) on the SAT (and I'm retaking in a couple of days). However, this apparently doesn't mean jack shit.

First off, there's obviously the GPA. I have a mediocre GPA of 4.01 weighted. I got straight As Junior year, and being depressed Sophomore year may be an excuse, but I'm probably looking at an A- average for the first semester of Senior year at best; I have no clue how well I'm doing (aside from AB Calculus--which I'm acing--and AP Physics--where I'm praying for a B+) because I've barely even gotten any assignments yet, despite midterm comments coming out today.

And then there are the extracurriculars. I have ZERO extracurriculars, and before someone says "You probably already have extracurriculars. What do you like to do outside of school?", let me say something: ALL I'VE DONE, THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRETY OF HIGH SCHOOL, IS WATCH TV, PLAY VIDEO GAMES, AND FUCK AROUND ON THE INTERNET!!! THAT'S IT!!!

That's not all, though. Apparently, there is this "test-optional" bullshit, meaning there's probably now even less weight on SAT/ACT scores. Damn, that is wonderful news! Except it's not. FUCK. THAT. SHIT. If SATs/ACTs didn't exist, my entire application would be "meh." What if the SAT/ACT isn't some horrible life-ruining test, but actually a godsend to some students? πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”

On a somewhat positive note, I heard that Canadian universities, such as McGill and the University of Toronto, basically just look at SAT/ACT and GPA. I'd feel fine living in Canada, so yeah. But my GPA is still shit for their standards :/

TL;DR: Fuck my life.
    Likes SurrealisticSlumbers liked this post

I know you're not asking for advice, but I would say: lower your standards regarding these colleges. Find one you can be accepted into. If all you've done is play video games, watch tv and fuck around on the net your whole existence, don't expect the doors of life to open to you all of a sudden - break those deulsions you may have. Build yourself up into something better.

I know this may sound heartless, as I know you're just ranting but it seems you need to hear this...
    Likes prplchknz, Mayflower liked this post

What's stopping you from volunteering for community work right now? Soup kitchens, seniors' homes and food banks are always seeking volunteers.

Quote Originally Posted by bechimo View Post
    What's stopping you from volunteering for community work right now? Soup kitchens, seniors' homes and food banks are always seeking volunteers.
    Yeah, I'd consider that, but I heard from some admissions officers at an event at my school a while back that starting to do ECs in Senior year really doesn't help at all.

Calm your tits. The trajectory of your life doesn't depend on what college you go to. If you're craving prestige for some reason though, just make up a few activities and pop em onto your resume.

Quote Originally Posted by StonedPhilosopher View Post
    Yeah, I'd consider that, but I heard from some admissions officers at an event at my school a while back that starting to do ECs in Senior year really doesn't help at all.
    Since you're already 'fucked', what have you got to lose? If for nothing else, it might help to broaden your worldview which IMO, is priceless.
    Likes Typh0n, StonedPhilosopher, Yuu liked this post

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

You can volunteer this year to beef up your resume.
    "Avoid getting too preoccupied thinking about what you’re going to do, to actually do it."
    β€” Rachel Wolchin

johari
    nohari

Quote Originally Posted by magpie View Post
    Calm your tits. The trajectory of your life doesn't depend on what college you go to. If you're craving prestige for some reason though, just make up a few activities and pop em onto your resume.
    I'm already aware of this; I genuinely know that going to a community college does not ruin your life. I know that Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard.

I figure that a more selective school has better stuff, though.
    Likes magpie liked this post

For reference, here are some of the colleges I'm looking into:

Colgate University
    Colorado College*
    Macalester College
    UMD College Park*
    McGill Univ
    Middleburry College*
    University of Toronto
    Villanova University
    NYU
    *second thoughts

UMass Amherst is my safety.
    Likes SurrealisticSlumbers liked this post

Well, this thread is embarrassing as fuck.
    Likes Xann liked this post