• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Rant] Despite a top 1% SAT score, I'm fucked regarding college admissions

StonedPhilosopher

MBTI Type
IDFC
I went to a college fair yesterday, and found a bunch of schools that might be decent. It made me feel calmer, considering that earlier, I was being narrow-mided and thought there were only 2 or 3 decent colleges.

The colleges I took into consideration have 25th-75th percentile SAT ranges of ~1350-~1540, and 25th-75th percentile ACT ranges of ~28-~34, which is fine because I got a 1490 (730 EBRW/760 Math) on the SAT (and I'm retaking in a couple of days). However, this apparently doesn't mean jack shit.

First off, there's obviously the GPA. I have a mediocre GPA of 4.01 weighted. I got straight As Junior year, and being depressed Sophomore year may be an excuse, but I'm probably looking at an A- average for the first semester of Senior year at best; I have no clue how well I'm doing (aside from AB Calculus--which I'm acing--and AP Physics--where I'm praying for a B+) because I've barely even gotten any assignments yet, despite midterm comments coming out today.

And then there are the extracurriculars. I have ZERO extracurriculars, and before someone says "You probably already have extracurriculars. What do you like to do outside of school?", let me say something: ALL I'VE DONE, THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRETY OF HIGH SCHOOL, IS WATCH TV, PLAY VIDEO GAMES, AND FUCK AROUND ON THE INTERNET!!! THAT'S IT!!!

That's not all, though. Apparently, there is this "test-optional" bullshit, meaning there's probably now even less weight on SAT/ACT scores. Damn, that is wonderful news! Except it's not. FUCK. THAT. SHIT. If SATs/ACTs didn't exist, my entire application would be "meh." What if the SAT/ACT isn't some horrible life-ruining test, but actually a godsend to some students? 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

On a somewhat positive note, I heard that Canadian universities, such as McGill and the University of Toronto, basically just look at SAT/ACT and GPA. I'd feel fine living in Canada, so yeah. But my GPA is still shit for their standards :/

TL;DR: Fuck my life.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know you're not asking for advice, but I would say: lower your standards regarding these colleges. Find one you can be accepted into. If all you've done is play video games, watch tv and fuck around on the net your whole existence, don't expect the doors of life to open to you all of a sudden - break those deulsions you may have. Build yourself up into something better.

I know this may sound heartless, as I know you're just ranting but it seems you need to hear this...

rav3n

What's stopping you from volunteering for community work right now? Soup kitchens, seniors' homes and food banks are always seeking volunteers.

StonedPhilosopher

MBTI Type
IDFC
What's stopping you from volunteering for community work right now? Soup kitchens, seniors' homes and food banks are always seeking volunteers.

Yeah, I'd consider that, but I heard from some admissions officers at an event at my school a while back that starting to do ECs in Senior year really doesn't help at all.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Calm your tits. The trajectory of your life doesn't depend on what college you go to. If you're craving prestige for some reason though, just make up a few activities and pop em onto your resume.

rav3n

Yeah, I'd consider that, but I heard from some admissions officers at an event at my school a while back that starting to do ECs in Senior year really doesn't help at all.
Since you're already 'fucked', what have you got to lose? If for nothing else, it might help to broaden your worldview which IMO, is priceless.

StonedPhilosopher

MBTI Type
IDFC
Calm your tits. The trajectory of your life doesn't depend on what college you go to. If you're craving prestige for some reason though, just make up a few activities and pop em onto your resume.

I'm already aware of this; I genuinely know that going to a community college does not ruin your life. I know that Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard.

I figure that a more selective school has better stuff, though.

StonedPhilosopher

MBTI Type
IDFC
For reference, here are some of the colleges I'm looking into:

Colgate University
Colorado College*
Macalester College
UMD College Park*
McGill Univ
Middleburry College*
University of Toronto
Villanova University
NYU
*second thoughts

UMass Amherst is my safety.

StonedPhilosopher

MBTI Type
IDFC
idk I'm just kind of freaking out right now

I guess I could say I participated in clubs on my application. Thanks, [MENTION=22178]magpie[/MENTION]

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
idk I'm just kind of freaking out right now

I guess I could say I participated in clubs on my application. Thanks, @magpie

[MENTION=22178]magpie[/MENTION] is right. Even with college, it can be a crapshoot. I'm not sure that there's a formula for success beyond finding something that you like to do that people will pay you for (which can be tricky), and then pouring your heart into it.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I went to a college fair yesterday, and found a bunch of schools that might be decent. It made me feel calmer, considering that earlier, I was being narrow-mided and thought there were only 2 or 3 decent colleges.

The colleges I took into consideration have 25th-75th percentile SAT ranges of ~1350-~1540, and 25th-75th percentile ACT ranges of ~28-~34, which is fine because I got a 1490 (730 EBRW/760 Math) on the SAT (and I'm retaking in a couple of days). However, this apparently doesn't mean jack shit.

First off, there's obviously the GPA. I have a mediocre GPA of 4.01 weighted. I got straight As Junior year, and being depressed Sophomore year may be an excuse, but I'm probably looking at an A- average for the first semester of Senior year at best; I have no clue how well I'm doing (aside from AB Calculus--which I'm acing--and AP Physics--where I'm praying for a B+) because I've barely even gotten any assignments yet, despite midterm comments coming out today.

And then there are the extracurriculars. I have ZERO extracurriculars, and before someone says "You probably already have extracurriculars. What do you like to do outside of school?", let me say something: ALL I'VE DONE, THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRETY OF HIGH SCHOOL, IS WATCH TV, PLAY VIDEO GAMES, AND FUCK AROUND ON THE INTERNET!!! THAT'S IT!!!

That's not all, though. Apparently, there is this "test-optional" bullshit, meaning there's probably now even less weight on SAT/ACT scores. Damn, that is wonderful news! Except it's not. FUCK. THAT. SHIT. If SATs/ACTs didn't exist, my entire application would be "meh." What if the SAT/ACT isn't some horrible life-ruining test, but actually a godsend to some students? 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

On a somewhat positive note, I heard that Canadian universities, such as McGill and the University of Toronto, basically just look at SAT/ACT and GPA. I'd feel fine living in Canada, so yeah. But my GPA is still shit for their standards :/

TL;DR: Fuck my life.

You can go to a State School. They aren't bad and you might even save some money

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
You can go to a State School. They aren't bad and you might even save some money

Hell, I got paid to go to college. Some of the state schools can be incredible.

You're also much less likely to be discriminated against for your political leanings.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hell, I got paid to go to college. Some of the state schools can be incredible.

You're also much less likely to be discriminated against for your political leanings.

I always wanted to go to Harvard. Then I realized I would have to take out massive loans and decided to go the State school route instead. I don't think it has negatively impacted my career trajectory over the years in the slightest.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I always wanted to go to Harvard. Then I realized I would have to take out massive loans and decided to go the State school route instead. I don't think it has negatively impacted my career trajectory over the years in the slightest.

Our lives have a tendency to follow the path they need to.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

I did a state for both undergrad and now grad but my employer is paying for that. It's never been an issue. I'm not conveying the idea that state schools are necessarily easy peasy to get into though. It depends on the school and more often, the program. That was the experience we had with our daughter who wanted a good PA program - that narrowed the list significantly. And I don't know what the OP considers "decent" either.