User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

idk I'm just kind of freaking out right now

I guess I could say I participated in clubs on my application. Thanks, @magpie
    Likes Julius_Van_Der_Beak, magpie liked this post

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by StonedPhilosopher View Post
    idk I'm just kind of freaking out right now

I guess I could say I participated in clubs on my application. Thanks, @magpie
    @magpie is right. Even with college, it can be a crapshoot. I'm not sure that there's a formula for success beyond finding something that you like to do that people will pay you for (which can be tricky), and then pouring your heart into it.
    I looked out this morning and the sun was gone
    Turned on some music to start my day
    I lost myself in a familiar song
    I closed my eyes and I slipped away

Visit my Johari: http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78
    Likes magpie, Population: 1 liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by StonedPhilosopher View Post
    I went to a college fair yesterday, and found a bunch of schools that might be decent. It made me feel calmer, considering that earlier, I was being narrow-mided and thought there were only 2 or 3 decent colleges.

The colleges I took into consideration have 25th-75th percentile SAT ranges of ~1350-~1540, and 25th-75th percentile ACT ranges of ~28-~34, which is fine because I got a 1490 (730 EBRW/760 Math) on the SAT (and I'm retaking in a couple of days). However, this apparently doesn't mean jack shit.

First off, there's obviously the GPA. I have a mediocre GPA of 4.01 weighted. I got straight As Junior year, and being depressed Sophomore year may be an excuse, but I'm probably looking at an A- average for the first semester of Senior year at best; I have no clue how well I'm doing (aside from AB Calculus--which I'm acing--and AP Physics--where I'm praying for a B+) because I've barely even gotten any assignments yet, despite midterm comments coming out today.

And then there are the extracurriculars. I have ZERO extracurriculars, and before someone says "You probably already have extracurriculars. What do you like to do outside of school?", let me say something: ALL I'VE DONE, THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRETY OF HIGH SCHOOL, IS WATCH TV, PLAY VIDEO GAMES, AND FUCK AROUND ON THE INTERNET!!! THAT'S IT!!!

That's not all, though. Apparently, there is this "test-optional" bullshit, meaning there's probably now even less weight on SAT/ACT scores. Damn, that is wonderful news! Except it's not. FUCK. THAT. SHIT. If SATs/ACTs didn't exist, my entire application would be "meh." What if the SAT/ACT isn't some horrible life-ruining test, but actually a godsend to some students? 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

On a somewhat positive note, I heard that Canadian universities, such as McGill and the University of Toronto, basically just look at SAT/ACT and GPA. I'd feel fine living in Canada, so yeah. But my GPA is still shit for their standards :/

TL;DR: Fuck my life.
    You can go to a State School. They aren't bad and you might even save some money

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

welp, ur life is over...
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.
    Likes Abcdenfp liked this post

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    welp, ur life is over...
    Time to start applying at burger kings @StonedPhilosopher.
    Likes StonedPhilosopher liked this post

Enneagram
    8w9

Seems like a big deal now, but won't looking back in 20 years.
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so
    Likes SurrealisticSlumbers liked this post

Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    You can go to a State School. They aren't bad and you might even save some money
    Hell, I got paid to go to college. Some of the state schools can be incredible.

You're also much less likely to be discriminated against for your political leanings.
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so
    Likes StonedPhilosopher liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Hell, I got paid to go to college. Some of the state schools can be incredible.

You're also much less likely to be discriminated against for your political leanings.
    I always wanted to go to Harvard. Then I realized I would have to take out massive loans and decided to go the State school route instead. I don't think it has negatively impacted my career trajectory over the years in the slightest.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Enneagram
    8w9

I always wanted to go to Harvard. Then I realized I would have to take out massive loans and decided to go the State school route instead. I don't think it has negatively impacted my career trajectory over the years in the slightest.
    Our lives have a tendency to follow the path they need to.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so
    Likes SurrealisticSlumbers liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I did a state for both undergrad and now grad but my employer is paying for that. It's never been an issue. I'm not conveying the idea that state schools are necessarily easy peasy to get into though. It depends on the school and more often, the program. That was the experience we had with our daughter who wanted a good PA program - that narrowed the list significantly. And I don't know what the OP considers "decent" either.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.