• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

advice on MBTI vs social reaction to changes (ex: environmental changes)

Louis-Philippe

MBTI Type
INTP
Hi all.

I've got to find a project for me semester in environmental sociology.

I've though about making a link between different types of MBTI personnality and how it migh influence on the reaction of people to new things as environmental changes...

to me, it seems extremely relevant although a little delicate...

I'm curious to know what people of different personnality type think about that sort of subject... (talking about you!)

the second point is my teacher doen't know about MBTI. I'm questionning myself as if it's worth working on something challenging that inspire me but risking to be ''out of the point'' ; or just give up on normal conventional project... beside, he looks to be of a IS?? type...

otherwise how are we supposed to deal with life and school? it's just so difficult to always modulate ourself in function of S conventions...

ps. english isn't my main language so be indulgent for orthographs or expressions that I might not possess.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I hope you're not going to say only NTs "realize" the danger of global warming.

Louis-Philippe

MBTI Type
INTP
lol, of course that's not what I'm saying...
I'm just thinking about the link between a personnality type and how it might react to changes or new ideas...

from that point, knowing the proportion of each type in the society, it migh help understanding the dynamic of a society evolution...

Louis-Philippe

MBTI Type
INTP
link between a personnality type and how it might react to changes or new ideas...

ok, to be more precise on my intentions...
we know there's of every type in every side, agree or not with a new idea (ex: environmental changes). The point would be to see how each type get convinced or not about the new idea... what convince him at the end?

let say we've got 16 person having exactly the same experience, the same backgroung, family, etc... but of different personnality type... the question would be to see how each of them passes from one position to another regarding a new idea...

yeah, I think that last paragrah might be more clear!

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I don't think you'll find much of a correlation. By the way, manmade global warming is hokum. *out*

Louis-Philippe

MBTI Type
INTP
I don't think you'll find much of a correlation. By the way, manmade global warming is hokum. *out*

ok. then I'll just consider you don't think there's a correlation.
for the rest, I found it a bit raw and fast throwed reply...

is there other opinion or is he expressing what everyone think?

I remind that the point is to debate if it's worth trying new project formula wich subject would be the link between personnality and how it tends to lead someone's reaction to new ideas or changes. opposed to a preject where I'd have to make a summary of scientific papers on an environmental subject...

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
ok. then I'll just consider you don't think there's a correlation.
for the rest, I found it a bit raw and fast throwed reply...

is there other opinion or is he expressing what everyone think?

I remind that the point is to debate if it's worth trying new project formula wich subject would be the link between personnality and how it tends to lead someone's reaction to new ideas or changes. opposed to a preject where I'd have to make a summary of scientific papers on an environmental subject...

There is a correlation, I believe, but you will find it difficult to support it with MBTI. You could create a theory for how different types of thinking changes the way we react, but it would be difficult to find supporting evidence.

However, I can point you towards using five factor model research/big five research, of which there is a lot.

It depends on the requirements of the project. If you just need to write up a theory, then MBTI can do it. If you need solid data, MBTI probably can't.

The other thing to keep in mind is that all personalities show preferences - you would have to avoid saying that one type thinks a certain way/etc.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know that any type is truly open to change -- it's natural to fear the unknown. BestFitType.com gives an explanation of how different types react to change specifically in the work setting, I'm sure this could also be expanded to something more universal such as social change.

Bottom line is that I think anyone is going to resist change if they perceive it as detrimental. And I don't see why anyone would resist change if it makes things easier.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Hi all.

I've got to find a project for me semester in environmental sociology.

I've though about making a link between different types of MBTI personnality and how it migh influence on the reaction of people to new things as environmental changes...

to me, it seems extremely relevant although a little delicate...

I'm curious to know what people of different personnality type think about that sort of subject... (talking about you!)

the second point is my teacher doen't know about MBTI. I'm questionning myself as if it's worth working on something challenging that inspire me but risking to be ''out of the point'' ; or just give up on normal conventional project... beside, he looks to be of a IS?? type...

otherwise how are we supposed to deal with life and school? it's just so difficult to always modulate ourself in function of S conventions...

ps. english isn't my main language so be indulgent for orthographs or expressions that I might not possess.

Probably the "definitive work" on change and type was Barger and Kirby who interviewed 2,000 people on what they needed during change. Main finding is similar to Uberfuhrer's post: People have different needs and if you meet those needs they can change. Certain environments meet some people's needs more than others...

If you want to do something on type...could you choose a narrower topic directly related to university life? Maybe even what they find most helpful from professors? Or adjusting to dorm life? etc.

I might group the types, rather than try to separately compile info for 16 types. Or concentrate on one preference pair, to keep things doable. Maybe temperaments...

Check out Richard Felder: Resources in Science and Engineering Education Felder has published several articles in peer-reviewed journals on is research on type and engineering students so if you tag onto his methods it might have more weight with your professor.

You could even use his "Index of learning styles" that gets at type in a different way and might be believed by an Environmental Biology professor. Just a thought.

So much more work needs to be done on how to make university work for students rather than on who does/doesn't succeed. Felder took his findings, restructured the NCSU engineering program, and skyrocketed the graduation rate for Sensing students whereas before, when the first 2 courses in their sequence were theoretical, a preponderance of s students simply dropped out.

Then submit your paper to CAPT: Training, Books, Research for MBTI, Archetypes, Leadership, Psychological Type. so it becomes part of the literature that someone else could build upon.