User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Default Doing math problem over and over vs flashcards for math

Hello, I am interested in majoring math. I will be taking Algebra 1 and 2 in 16 weeks. Both in 8 weeks. I need to find out the most effective method in memorizing the equations to deal with tons of work in a short amount of time. I was wondering if flashcards are better then doing the same math equations over and over. For instance, is it better to write down the formula and try to remember with the flashcards as oppose to just simply doing the math problem over and over? Which method is easier for memorizing the formula.
    5w4,4w5,1

The Researcher

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

For me spending time to think about the problem/equation is the most helpful. Try an connect to it to something you have learned in the past or some kind of idea or something, and maybe try and figure out why you need to do what. Spending more time thinking about things before you try practice problems means less time is spent actually doing the problem, and you;ll feel more confidant doing them.

I'm not a math major, but I used to suck at and did not understand math, and this method really helped me I think.
    "Avoid getting too preoccupied thinking about what you’re going to do, to actually do it."
    — Rachel Wolchin

johari
    nohari

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Smilephantomhive View Post
    For me spending time to think about the problem/equation is the most helpful. Try an connect to it to something you have learned in the past or some kind of idea or something, and maybe try and figure out why you need to do what. Spending more time thinking about things before you try practice problems means less time is spent actually doing the problem, and you;ll feel more confidant doing them.

I'm not a math major, but I used to suck at and did not understand math, and this method really helped me I think.
    I'm not sure what you mean by tie the formula with an idea or from the past.
    5w4,4w5,1

The Researcher

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by great_bay View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by tie the formula with an idea or from the past.
    I mean think of a similar math problem you have done. Obviously there will be some differences, but thinking about it can help you understand it more. And by idea, I mean a concept that is similar to the mathematic concept at hand. Like think about how they are similar.
    "Avoid getting too preoccupied thinking about what you’re going to do, to actually do it."
    — Rachel Wolchin

johari
    nohari

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Smilephantomhive View Post
    I mean think of a similar math problem you have done. Obviously there will be some differences, but thinking about it can help you understand it more. And by idea, I mean a concept that is similar to the mathematic concept at hand. Like think about how they are similar.
    Yes, this makes a lot of sense. I will keep this in mind.
    5w4,4w5,1

The Researcher
    Likes Smilephantomhive liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8

I always preferred the process to the solution; learning how to do it was exciting but memorizing cards I found to be a hindrance that might leave me handicapped if I should end up in a situation where I didn't have the cards in front of me. And flash cards always made me feel overwhelmed whereas if I felt I could understand the basic gist or underlying principles and mechanics, then there would be no need to memorize a lot of data by rote.

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Don't remember having to memorize equations for algebra, but in Trig, there are some useful phonetic memory aids such as:

SOH CAH TOA

sine = opposite/hypotenuse
    cosine =adjacent/hypotenuse
    tangent = opposite/adjacent

and CAST: (for remembering which trig function is positive in which quadrant)

S|A
    T|C

in the "A" quadrant (0 to 90 degrees), All (sine,cosine,tangent) are positive.
    In the "S" quadrant (91 to 180 degrees), Sine is positive;
    In the "T" quadrant (181 to 270 degrees), Tangent is positive;
    In the "C" quadrant (271 to 360 degrees), Cosine is positive.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Fi

I'm an engineering student. I love math. My solution to your problem is to do a variety of problems. The equations will come to you naturally then.
    EII - Fi - INFj
    9w8(963, The Mediator)
    sx/so
    SLOEI

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx

Practice > flashcards. Learn the process, not the answer, and then you can solve anything.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by great_bay View Post
    Hello, I am interested in majoring math. I will be taking Algebra 1 and 2 in 16 weeks. Both in 8 weeks. I need to find out the most effective method in memorizing the equations to deal with tons of work in a short amount of time. I was wondering if flashcards are better then doing the same math equations over and over. For instance, is it better to write down the formula and try to remember with the flashcards as oppose to just simply doing the math problem over and over? Which method is easier for memorizing the formula.
    Flashcards are best used for rote memorization. This might be helpful with formulas, but you might find it easier to understand the formula better than simply to memorize it. As others have suggested, this will come with practice. If you understand it really well, you should be able to derive it based on that understanding.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...