• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Doing math problem over and over vs flashcards for math

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Hello, I am interested in majoring math. I will be taking Algebra 1 and 2 in 16 weeks. Both in 8 weeks. I need to find out the most effective method in memorizing the equations to deal with tons of work in a short amount of time. I was wondering if flashcards are better then doing the same math equations over and over. For instance, is it better to write down the formula and try to remember with the flashcards as oppose to just simply doing the math problem over and over? Which method is easier for memorizing the formula.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
For me spending time to think about the problem/equation is the most helpful. Try an connect to it to something you have learned in the past or some kind of idea or something, and maybe try and figure out why you need to do what. Spending more time thinking about things before you try practice problems means less time is spent actually doing the problem, and you;ll feel more confidant doing them.

I'm not a math major, but I used to suck at and did not understand math, and this method really helped me I think.

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
For me spending time to think about the problem/equation is the most helpful. Try an connect to it to something you have learned in the past or some kind of idea or something, and maybe try and figure out why you need to do what. Spending more time thinking about things before you try practice problems means less time is spent actually doing the problem, and you;ll feel more confidant doing them.

I'm not a math major, but I used to suck at and did not understand math, and this method really helped me I think.

I'm not sure what you mean by tie the formula with an idea or from the past.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm not sure what you mean by tie the formula with an idea or from the past.

I mean think of a similar math problem you have done. Obviously there will be some differences, but thinking about it can help you understand it more. And by idea, I mean a concept that is similar to the mathematic concept at hand. Like think about how they are similar.

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
I mean think of a similar math problem you have done. Obviously there will be some differences, but thinking about it can help you understand it more. And by idea, I mean a concept that is similar to the mathematic concept at hand. Like think about how they are similar.

Yes, this makes a lot of sense. I will keep this in mind.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I always preferred the process to the solution; learning how to do it was exciting but memorizing cards I found to be a hindrance that might leave me handicapped if I should end up in a situation where I didn't have the cards in front of me. And flash cards always made me feel overwhelmed whereas if I felt I could understand the basic gist or underlying principles and mechanics, then there would be no need to memorize a lot of data by rote.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Don't remember having to memorize equations for algebra, but in Trig, there are some useful phonetic memory aids such as:

SOH CAH TOA

sine = opposite/hypotenuse
cosine =adjacent/hypotenuse
tangent = opposite/adjacent

and CAST: (for remembering which trig function is positive in which quadrant)

S|A
T|C

in the "A" quadrant (0 to 90 degrees), All (sine,cosine,tangent) are positive.
In the "S" quadrant (91 to 180 degrees), Sine is positive;
In the "T" quadrant (181 to 270 degrees), Tangent is positive;
In the "C" quadrant (271 to 360 degrees), Cosine is positive.

Red Ribbon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm an engineering student. I love math. My solution to your problem is to do a variety of problems. The equations will come to you naturally then.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Practice > flashcards. Learn the process, not the answer, and then you can solve anything.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hello, I am interested in majoring math. I will be taking Algebra 1 and 2 in 16 weeks. Both in 8 weeks. I need to find out the most effective method in memorizing the equations to deal with tons of work in a short amount of time. I was wondering if flashcards are better then doing the same math equations over and over. For instance, is it better to write down the formula and try to remember with the flashcards as oppose to just simply doing the math problem over and over? Which method is easier for memorizing the formula.
Flashcards are best used for rote memorization. This might be helpful with formulas, but you might find it easier to understand the formula better than simply to memorize it. As others have suggested, this will come with practice. If you understand it really well, you should be able to derive it based on that understanding.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I learned why it works how it does. Got me through college calculus pretty good. I managed to reverse engineer problems based on past understanding. Something i couldnt do without having understanding as a core principle instead of memorization.