• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I am interested in majoring in math but...

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Hello, I am a person interested in going back to college. I just finished my first semester and passed all four of my classes. The only reason why math pique my interest is because a lot of sciencce internet article appear to be interesting. I have yet to start a math class and I think I'm going to have to take Algebra one. I have read a Algebra one book at the library but math appears to be so boring. Is there really all there is to math or does math actually get better? If math gets more interesting, I will stick with math but it appears boring so far. Is math really just plugging in the numbers and memorizing formulas?

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
[MENTION=9811]Coriolis[/MENTION]

What do you think? Does math get more interesting? You're the only math person I noticed here so may I ask you?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I majored in Math for two years at college. No, it's not about plugging in numbers, the higher level courses can involve abstract maths, modeling, statistics/analysis, integrals and diffy ques and series math, etc. Lots of formula (not basic computation) work.

I struggled a bit with the higher levels and it got too abstracted for me to want to invest in for a career, so i swapped out. I still have an official minor in Math, though.

Not really sure exactly where you are at class wise, but pretty much it's high school math that is more about computation (and Trig, and Geometry basics, etc.) Using math to solve complex real-life problems / modeling is more the aim in college math. It can be applied to problems in various fields.

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
I majored in Math for two years at college. No, it's not about plugging in numbers, the higher level courses can involve abstract maths, modeling, statistics/analysis, integrals and diffy ques and series math, etc. Lots of formula (not basic computation) work.

I struggled a bit with the higher levels and it got too abstracted for me to want to invest in for a career, so i swapped out. I still have an official minor in Math, though.

Not really sure exactly where you are at class wise, but pretty much it's high school math that is more about computation (and Trig, and Geometry basics, etc.) Using math to solve complex real-life problems / modeling is more the aim in college math. It can be applied to problems in various fields.

I'm going to take Algebra 1

Ashtart

Obliviously Mad
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You can use math and algebra to keep data of your daily life, solve real life problems and so forth. That usually makes it quite useful in day-to-day and less "boring".

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram

Would you still continue math right now?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Would you still continue math right now?

I wouldn't, because I liked writing and computer programming better. it depends on what you like.

Coriolis probably knows better, but my feeling with high-level math is that I either had to apply it to a tech field of some kind or I had to become a professor and do research/papers on the side. It's something that is useful in pursuit of certain other goals.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=9811]Coriolis[/MENTION]

What do you think? Does math get more interesting? You're the only math person I noticed here so may I ask you?
Actually I am a physicist, which means I have studied a fair bit of math, but always with the goal or applying it to something. Like [MENTION=7]Totenkindly[/MENTION], I think I would find studying math alone to be too abstract, though it can be fun in a sort of puzzle-solving way. Teaching math as memorizing formulas and plugging in numbers is like teaching English as just spelling and grammar. Yes, you need to be able to plug in the numbers and to a calculation correctly, but "real" math is about figuring out what the formula is to begin with, based on what you are trying to do.

I suppose explaining it like this ("what you are trying to do") betrays the applied nature of my own math background. In any case, math is sometimes called the language of science, meaning that we describe (model, simulate, analyze) physical phenomena as much using mathematical expressions as using words and paragraphs. Learning math on its own is like learning a language. To me, at least, the interesting part is when you then use that language to read and discuss literature, or to write essays, poems, short stories, etc. I use math, then, to help me design experiments, to analyze the data I get from them, to use that to model the phenomenon I am studying in order to try to predict what will happen if I change this or that parameter. This process is iterative.

There is variety in math. You will find that algebra is different from geometry, and trig is related to both but different still. Then there is calculus (differential and integral), differential equations, and linear algebra (my favorite), which are also different. If you enjoy math but are concerned that it might be too boring or abstract, you might try taking basic physics or even chemistry. Then you will have something to apply it toward. If you aim to continue in any science or engineering subject, these courses might count toward your degree. I suggest you also speak with some of the TA's in your math courses. They will have studied lots of math, and can give you additional perspective on the different topics within the subject.

Good luck! I am always encouraged to see someone take an interest in math, or science.

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Actually I am a physicist, which means I have studied a fair bit of math, but always with the goal or applying it to something. Like [MENTION=7]Totenkindly[/MENTION], I think I would find studying math alone to be too abstract, though it can be fun in a sort of puzzle-solving way. Teaching math as memorizing formulas and plugging in numbers is like teaching English as just spelling and grammar. Yes, you need to be able to plug in the numbers and to a calculation correctly, but "real" math is about figuring out what the formula is to begin with, based on what you are trying to do.

I suppose explaining it like this ("what you are trying to do") betrays the applied nature of my own math background. In any case, math is sometimes called the language of science, meaning that we describe (model, simulate, analyze) physical phenomena as much using mathematical expressions as using words and paragraphs. Learning math on its own is like learning a language. To me, at least, the interesting part is when you then use that language to read and discuss literature, or to write essays, poems, short stories, etc. I use math, then, to help me design experiments, to analyze the data I get from them, to use that to model the phenomenon I am studying in order to try to predict what will happen if I change this or that parameter. This process is iterative.

There is variety in math. You will find that algebra is different from geometry, and trig is related to both but different still. Then there is calculus (differential and integral), differential equations, and linear algebra (my favorite), which are also different. If you enjoy math but are concerned that it might be too boring or abstract, you might try taking basic physics or even chemistry. Then you will have something to apply it toward. If you aim to continue in any science or engineering subject, these courses might count toward your degree. I suggest you also speak with some of the TA's in your math courses. They will have studied lots of math, and can give you additional perspective on the different topics within the subject.

Good luck! I am always encouraged to see someone take an interest in math, or science.

kk, thanks. I understand more about math than before after reading your post.