User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 30

  1. #1
    typology curator Xann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    1,674

    Default University of Michigan Students ‘Intimidated’ by ‘Masculine’ Wood Paneling

    University of Michigan Students 'Intimidated' by 'Masculine' Wood Paneling in Academic Buildings - Breitbart

    Students at the prestigious University of Michigan are claiming to be “intimidated” by the “masculine” wood paneling on the walls of academic buildings on campus.

    Anna Wibbelman, former president of Building a Better Michigan, stated at a student government meeting that “minority students felt marginalized by quiet, imposing masculine paneling” of several academic buildings around campus.
    The primary building in question, the Michigan Union building, is a historical building on campus and serves as one of the most recognizable landmarks of the university.
    Although the building is set to undergo a pricey $85.2 million renovation, the wood paneling is here to stay, to the dismay of minority students who finds it presence to be “intimidating.”
    “There is a significant presence of wood paneling on the interior of the building and we expect most, if not all of it, will remain after the renovation,” said University of Michigan spokesperson Rick Fitzgerald.
    Do you guys think wood paneling is intidimating? Or is there something else at play here? Is wood paneling even "masculine"? Or is it simply outdated?

  2. #2
    darkened dreams labyrinthine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    inxx
    Enneagram
    4 sp/sx
    Posts
    7,791

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xann View Post
    Do you guys think wood paneling is intidimating? Or is there something else at play here? Is wood paneling even "masculine"? Or is it simply outdated?
    While there are strange things in this world that do frighten me, when it comes to wood paneling, I'm a complete badass. Nothing phases me.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Likes Xann, Z Buck McFate, MDP2525 liked this post

  3. #3
    typology curator Xann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    1,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by labyrinthine View Post
    While there are strange things in this world that do frighten me, when it comes to wood paneling, I'm a complete badass. Nothing phases me.








    Likes Cellmold, MDP2525 liked this post

  4. #4
    I wonder................. Cat Brainz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    793 sp/so
    Posts
    2,228

    Default

    This is an non-issue here. Wood panelling while it may not be too some peoples taste at the end of the day its the universities property so they have the right to decide what to renovate with. Its not like they entered your home and took it all down and replaced it with wood panelling. While I can understand the power and wealth contations with the wood its obviously accessible to all and not designed to alienate anyone so there is no basis for the claims here.
    7w8 9w1 3w2

    you are brain in a jar in a cheshire cat wearing wonka's hat - Gentleman Jack

  5. #5
    typology curator Xann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    1,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Brainz View Post
    This is an non-issue here. Wood panelling while it may not be too some peoples taste at the end of the day its the universities property so they have the right to decide what to renovate with. Its not like they entered your home and took it all down and replaced it with wood panelling. While I can understand the power and wealth contations with the wood its obviously accessible to all and not designed to alienate anyone so there is no basis for the claims here.
    The university is a home to many minority students, at least for a period of sometimes many years. Universities are also heavily subsidized by taxes which are provided in large part by minority taxpayers. Don't you think minority voices should be heard on the issue, and shouldn't we take into account how feeling alienated in their academic setting could lead to future inequalities? Or are power and wealth something that should continue to be celebrated in western institutions and not be brought into question?

  6. #6

    Default

    If wood, broccoli, or windshield wipers intimidate someone, they can always seek counseling to help find out why.
    Likes Cat Brainz, -Outsider- liked this post

  7. #7
    I wonder................. Cat Brainz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    793 sp/so
    Posts
    2,228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xann View Post
    The university is a home to many minority students, at least for a period of sometimes many years. Universities are also heavily subsidized by taxes which are provided in large part by minority taxpayers. Don't you think minority voices should be heard on the issue, and shouldn't we take into account how feeling alienated in their academic setting could lead to future inequalities? Or are power and wealth something that should continue to be celebrated in western institutions and not be brought into question?
    I agree that minority voices should be heard but personally the complaints are against something that is nothing to do with abuse of minorities or at least very tangentially so and everyone taxes went into that so minority taxpayers do deserve a say and the worse thing I can conclude from this is that the money was wasted on the decorations when it could go to help those who need extra help such as minorities and disabled students and personally were I dean of that place I would not be impressed with the money spent on the panels. .

    A big issue in the fight for rights is that people tend to ignore big issues and focus on the minor issues at hand as they are more concrete and easier to deal with.
    7w8 9w1 3w2

    you are brain in a jar in a cheshire cat wearing wonka's hat - Gentleman Jack
    Likes labyrinthine liked this post

  8. #8
    typology curator Xann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    1,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Brainz View Post
    I agree that minority voices should be heard but personally the complaints are against something that is nothing to do with abuse of minorities or at least very tangentially so and everyone taxes went into that so minority taxpayers do deserve a say and the worse thing I can conclude from this is that the money was wasted on the decorations when it could go to help those who need extra help such as minorities and disabled students and personally were I dean of that place I would not be impressed with the money spent on the panels. .

    A big issue in the fight for rights is that people tend to ignore big issues and focus on the minor issues at hand as they are more concrete and easier to deal with.
    I'm glad we agree on something: minority voices should be heard. However, I must strongly disagree that the complaints are against something that has nothing to do with abuse of minorities. Do you have any idea how many minorities have been abused and treated as second class citizens in buildings with wood panelled walls? Do you know how many rigged juries, miscarriages of justice, and deplorable historical events have taken place in such a setting?

    It's important to place the correct amount of focus on major issues in the fight for equality, but this does not mean that minor issues should be overlooked. You would do well to know that, @Cat Brainz.

  9. #9
    typology curator Xann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    1,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    If wood, broccoli, or windshield wipers intimidate someone, they can always seek counseling to help find out why.
    This is an extremely arbitrary and insensitive selection of triggers. Perhaps counselling is most needed for those lacking in basic human decency. There are a number of seemingly irrational phobias which can be quite severe and not always treatable, and it is not good practice to make light of such things.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Smilephantomhive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    1,976

    Default

    Someone's bored.
    "Avoid getting too preoccupied thinking about what you’re going to do, to actually do it."
    — Rachel Wolchin

    johari
    nohari
    avatar
    Likes Eskimo2, Cat Brainz, -Outsider- liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts