• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

University of Michigan Students ‘Intimidated’ by ‘Masculine’ Wood Paneling

Xann

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
University of Michigan Students 'Intimidated' by 'Masculine' Wood Paneling in Academic Buildings - Breitbart

Students at the prestigious University of Michigan are claiming to be “intimidated” by the “masculine” wood paneling on the walls of academic buildings on campus.

Anna Wibbelman, former president of Building a Better Michigan, stated at a student government meeting that “minority students felt marginalized by quiet, imposing masculine paneling” of several academic buildings around campus.
The primary building in question, the Michigan Union building, is a historical building on campus and serves as one of the most recognizable landmarks of the university.
Although the building is set to undergo a pricey $85.2 million renovation, the wood paneling is here to stay, to the dismay of minority students who finds it presence to be “intimidating.”
“There is a significant presence of wood paneling on the interior of the building and we expect most, if not all of it, will remain after the renovation,” said University of Michigan spokesperson Rick Fitzgerald.

Do you guys think wood paneling is intidimating? Or is there something else at play here? Is wood paneling even "masculine"? Or is it simply outdated?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you guys think wood paneling is intidimating? Or is there something else at play here? Is wood paneling even "masculine"? Or is it simply outdated?
While there are strange things in this world that do frighten me, when it comes to wood paneling, I'm a complete badass. Nothing phases me.

Xann

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
While there are strange things in this world that do frighten me, when it comes to wood paneling, I'm a complete badass. Nothing phases me.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
This is an non-issue here. Wood panelling while it may not be too some peoples taste at the end of the day its the universities property so they have the right to decide what to renovate with. Its not like they entered your home and took it all down and replaced it with wood panelling. While I can understand the power and wealth contations with the wood its obviously accessible to all and not designed to alienate anyone so there is no basis for the claims here.

Xann

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is an non-issue here. Wood panelling while it may not be too some peoples taste at the end of the day its the universities property so they have the right to decide what to renovate with. Its not like they entered your home and took it all down and replaced it with wood panelling. While I can understand the power and wealth contations with the wood its obviously accessible to all and not designed to alienate anyone so there is no basis for the claims here.

The university is a home to many minority students, at least for a period of sometimes many years. Universities are also heavily subsidized by taxes which are provided in large part by minority taxpayers. Don't you think minority voices should be heard on the issue, and shouldn't we take into account how feeling alienated in their academic setting could lead to future inequalities? Or are power and wealth something that should continue to be celebrated in western institutions and not be brought into question?

Jaguar

If wood, broccoli, or windshield wipers intimidate someone, they can always seek counseling to help find out why.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
The university is a home to many minority students, at least for a period of sometimes many years. Universities are also heavily subsidized by taxes which are provided in large part by minority taxpayers. Don't you think minority voices should be heard on the issue, and shouldn't we take into account how feeling alienated in their academic setting could lead to future inequalities? Or are power and wealth something that should continue to be celebrated in western institutions and not be brought into question?

I agree that minority voices should be heard but personally the complaints are against something that is nothing to do with abuse of minorities or at least very tangentially so and everyone taxes went into that so minority taxpayers do deserve a say and the worse thing I can conclude from this is that the money was wasted on the decorations when it could go to help those who need extra help such as minorities and disabled students and personally were I dean of that place I would not be impressed with the money spent on the panels. .

A big issue in the fight for rights is that people tend to ignore big issues and focus on the minor issues at hand as they are more concrete and easier to deal with.

Xann

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree that minority voices should be heard but personally the complaints are against something that is nothing to do with abuse of minorities or at least very tangentially so and everyone taxes went into that so minority taxpayers do deserve a say and the worse thing I can conclude from this is that the money was wasted on the decorations when it could go to help those who need extra help such as minorities and disabled students and personally were I dean of that place I would not be impressed with the money spent on the panels. .

A big issue in the fight for rights is that people tend to ignore big issues and focus on the minor issues at hand as they are more concrete and easier to deal with.

I'm glad we agree on something: minority voices should be heard. However, I must strongly disagree that the complaints are against something that has nothing to do with abuse of minorities. Do you have any idea how many minorities have been abused and treated as second class citizens in buildings with wood panelled walls? Do you know how many rigged juries, miscarriages of justice, and deplorable historical events have taken place in such a setting?

It's important to place the correct amount of focus on major issues in the fight for equality, but this does not mean that minor issues should be overlooked. You would do well to know that, @Cat Brainz.

Xann

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If wood, broccoli, or windshield wipers intimidate someone, they can always seek counseling to help find out why.

This is an extremely arbitrary and insensitive selection of triggers. Perhaps counselling is most needed for those lacking in basic human decency. There are a number of seemingly irrational phobias which can be quite severe and not always treatable, and it is not good practice to make light of such things.

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
"Masculine" wood? I think I understand their plight. If I was at a university and kept seeing a bunch of...wait, what? It's not a euphemism? It's just wood paneling? Okay, SJWs, please stop. I can understand a reaction to poor taste in interior decorating, but intimidation? Unless the paneling had 80s-styled imprints, intimidation is not warranted.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So the article has this statement

UM article said:
Although students have expressed concern about the welcoming nature of the building, Fitzgerald claims that students have not specifically complained to the administration about the wood paneling ahead of the building’s upcoming renovation.

Concern about the paneling is not something that has been brought forward to the university as a concern from students, who have been involved with developing this project for several years and through dozens of meetings. Students certainly have expressed a desire that the renovation assures a welcoming, inviting, and student-oriented building. It is their building.

I'm confused.

When I first read it, I assumed it was an Onion article or something and thought it was a gender topic. I am now wondering if it is actually more insidious than that. Is this twisting the truth about some students who just want a friendlier looking building and has nothing to do with minorities wanting to remove wood paneling? The title is framed in such as way as to make it sound ridiculous. It is framing the ideas 'minority' and 'aburd request' which is actually specifically damaging PR.

The current trends is for the population to be frustrated with extreme political correctness, and that is what the title of the article is highlighting. That is the button it is trying to push. At this point I don't think it is happening the way it is presented at all.

I did not realize the full extent when I made the jokes because I thought it was a gender joke and not even a real article.

Lark

Breitbart?

You really want to see that guy get paid? Because that's what happens when you share their frivolous lies and triviality.

Xann

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So the article has this statement

I'm confused.

When I first read it, I assumed it was an Onion article or something and thought it was a gender topic. I am now wondering if it is actually more insidious than that. Is this twisting the truth about some students who just want a friendlier looking building and has nothing to do with minorities wanting to remove wood paneling? The title is framed in such as way as to make it sound ridiculous. It is framing the ideas 'minority' and 'aburd request' which is actually specifically damaging PR.

The current trends is for the population to be frustrated with extreme political correctness, and that is what the title of the article is highlighting. That is the button it is trying to push. At this point I don't think it is happening the way it is presented at all.

I did not realize the full extent when I made the jokes because I thought it was a gender joke and not even a real article.

What is insidious about stating the truth? The article states clearly:

Anna Wibbelman, former president of Building a Better Michigan, stated at a student government meeting that “minority students felt marginalized by quiet, imposing masculine paneling” of several academic buildings around campus.

Are you insinuating Anna Wibbelman is a liar or perhaps attempting to mislead the university administration with regards to who is feeling marginalized and why? I agree if that is the case, it is most definitely insidious. It really speaks to the times that you assumed this was an Onion article despite it being from a trusted and highly-esteemed source, Breitbart News. It is a possibility that minority students are too intimidated to interact directly with university administration regarding the wooden paneling vis-a-vis Rick Fitzgerald's comments you quoted, which I don't think would have been included in the article if it was meant simply to push a specific button as you are suggesting.

Breitbart?

You really want to see that guy get paid? Because that's what happens when you share their frivolous lies and triviality.

Andrew Breitbart is dead because he attempted to expose the frivolous lies and triviality of our society, the most pernicious of those being the illegitimate presidency of Barack Hussein Obama.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What is insidious about stating the truth? The article states clearly:

Are you insinuating Anna Wibbelman is a liar or perhaps attempting to mislead the university administration with regards to who is feeling marginalized and why? I agree if that is the case, it is most definitely insidious. It really speaks to the times that you assumed this was an Onion article despite it being from a trusted and highly-esteemed source, Breitbart News. It is a possibility that minority students are too intimidated to interact directly with university administration regarding the wooden paneling vis-a-vis Rick Fitzgerald's comments you quoted, which I don't think would have been included in the article if it was meant simply to push a specific button as you are suggesting.
No, I thought the quote I gave said that the students didn't say it specifically. It would be helpful to have student quotes. I'm not calling anyone a liar, but it all sounds confusing. I don't actually have a personal opinion about what people should do with their buildings. I would prefer to hear exactly what the students said.

Edit: My point it that it sounds like something that's been blown out of proportion. Maybe the student comment was a joke? We all saw how funny it can be to talk about paneling. Maybe there was one student with a wood paneling phobia, and maybe people were just talking mindlessly and the conversation moved towards re-decorating. I remember being in 7th grade and having innocent comments get blown out of proportion through the grapevine. That's my main point. It would be helpful to hear what actually happened.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Given the source of this story (on two levels), I decided to look for who's talking about this. I found Breitbart, Infowars, pjmedia and Heat Street. I've not found anything outside that approximate range of legitimacy. The story has not come up on Snopes yet (maybe not popular enough for anyone to have bothered).

Lark

Andrew Breitbart is dead because he attempted to expose the frivolous lies and triviality of our society, the most pernicious of those being the illegitimate presidency of Barack Hussein Obama.

Just because you're fan doesnt mean your team's any good, in fact I'd say they're shite, the conspiracy theories are never going to catch on and you'll still have no one to talk to offline or anywhere fun to spend your free time on a friday night.