• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Millenials Need Adulting School

Xann

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Thoughts? Is he on the mark or far off? Interested in hearing both millenial opinions as well as those from older generations.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm technically not millennial (Gen Z, and cut off by a year according to some), and I didn't watch the video. But I have heard people on Tumblr complain about schools not teaching about about banking, applying and doing jobs, and adulting stuff like that. I disagree since in 5th grade they did teach us how to write checks, but I forgot, and they taught us financial literacy stuff in 9th grade, and I bet the vast majority of people forgot by now (senior now). We forgot these things since they are not needed in everyday life when you are young. I think people should just research things as needed on the internet, so they can quickly apply their skills which should help them remember it. Life is the best teacher imo.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"Adulting school" is supposed to be adolescence, when your parents show you how to behave like a grown up and take on adult responsibilities. Laws are making it harder, but I think too many parents are falling down on the job here.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
"Adulting school" is supposed to be adolescence, when your parents show you how to behave like a grown up and take on adult responsibilities. Laws are making it harder, but I think too many parents are falling down on the job here.

My parents taught me how to drive, and that's it (during adolescence). Kind of annoying, but on the bright side, it gives me a sense of independence since I had to learn the rest on my own.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oregon Trail Generation - Wikipedia

i hate all of the millennial sterotypes, complaints, and overall trajectory... i think the oregon trail generation sounds silly, and think the subsection should be called gen y... let the millennial crowd keep their media attention, new label, and expectations to themselves...

that said, i was left to my own devices concerning "how to adult" by my baby boomer parents...

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
+1 millennial.

I may have been taught some of these skills more than others, but have never conceptualized what knowledge I have in terms of whether or not I was taught, which is just because of a tendency personality-wise to forget the role of interdependence in personal growth (a tendency that also drains the humor out of "adulting" memes for me). I've felt totally responsible for what I'm capable of or not as an adult even though that is not truly realistic, and responsible for the consequences of any knowledge gaps I neglect to fill in.

Parts of "growing up" have involved reaching out for lessons, but I initiated that contact and asked for them because I don't imagine that the teachings will come to me if I don't. Like, once I'm no longer a dependent of my parents, who besides me cares if I learn? Those who don't, just get overlooked. If I don't, no one is going to be there to catch me up, and I'll just be alone not getting jobs or making connections. But obviously I was taught that outlook somewhere, and also taught what an adult in my culture is expected by their peers and elders to know - one does not learn those expectations in a vacuum, and if I did not know them, I would have been unable to recognize a gap in it or desire to fill it in.

All I know for sure is that "adulting" is a nails-on-chalkboard word for me. If it gets added to the dictionary as a verb, I'm going to be super annoyed for about ten minutes and then get over it. :irked: That isn't out of being annoyed with entitled millennials at all, though (a stereotype I haven't really seen play out in real life), but because the consequences of not learning or doing all that "adult" maintenance stuff just fail to be a laughing matter to me whatsoever. Debt, unchecked physical ailments, and lack of social support - not funny.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was born into that weird sub-category that is a hybrid of both X and millennial traits. I believe Cold Y Generation is the correct term. I always find it difficult to relate completely to either. Maybe if I'd born in 1972 or 1992...

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
While I understand people getting mad in this thread - parents are falling down on the job. It's very difficult for society, in general to pick up all the slack, including the slack parents of these kids create by being oblivious AF. These are observation I've made of my own children and their peers and it was so alarming to me as a parent, I was more than happy to intercept it no matter who the kid was.

Do I think middle and high schoolers should be learning about basic life skills? Banking, budgeting, non-delusional sex ed, skills needed for the working world, the value of education and intelligence and critical thinking...yes. Should schools be teaching these things? Yes. In tandem with parents. And if you are an idiot that thinks - we shouldn't interfere/parents should be able to teach children bullshit with impunity/TAXPAYERS!! MY MONEY!! just shut the fuck up because you are also contributing to the problem and continuing to enforce the fact that America does not care about it's people, including it's children.

And I'm going to make this clear. I have seen several millennials on this forum ask questions that should have been answered by parents. The reason is almost always - my parents didn't teach me this. So stop getting mad at me or anyone identifying the problem. It isn't your fault but holding parents accountable for kids unable to cope with the world is something everyone should be doing. Including you.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
While I understand people getting mad in this thread - parents are falling down on the job. It's very difficult for society, in general to pick up all the slack, including the slack parents of these kids create by being oblivious AF. These are observation I've made of my own children and their peers and it was so alarming to me as a parent, I was more than happy to intercept it no matter who the kid was.

Do I think middle and high schoolers should be learning about basic life skills? Banking, budgeting, non-delusional sex ed, skills needed for the working world, the value of education and intelligence and critical thinking...yes. Should schools be teaching these things? Yes. In tandem with parents. And if you are an idiot that thinks - we shouldn't interfere/parents should be able to teach children bullshit with impunity/TAXPAYERS!! MY MONEY!! just shut the fuck up because you are also contributing to the problem and continuing to enforce the fact that America does not care about it's people, including it's children.

And I'm going to make this clear. I have seen several millennials on this forum ask questions that should have been answered by parents. The reason is almost always - my parents didn't teach me this. So stop getting mad at me or anyone identifying the problem. It isn't your fault but holding parents accountable for kids unable to cope with the world is something everyone should be doing. Including you.

In my experience, if you ask a parent or teacher a question, they ask you to look it up.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
In my experience, if you ask a parent or teacher a question, they ask you to look it up.

Yes. Part of the problem. I have never said that to my kid or any kid without talking about it with them first. In other words, parenting.

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm pretty good at "adulting." *shrug* And all of my friends in my age group are very responsible as well. But then, most of my friends were home schooled, and we home schoolers need to be extra responsible so as to make up for our poor social skills; horrible fashion taste; excessive reading; and the fact that some of us do nerdy things like make homemade, honest-to-goodness swords and armor.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
I'm pretty good at "adulting." *shrug* And all of my friends in my age group are very responsible as well. But then, most of my friends were home schooled, and we home schoolers need to be extra responsible so as to make up for our poor social skills; horrible fashion taste; excessive reading; and the fact that some of us do nerdy things like make homemade, honest-to-goodness swords and armor.
The difference in how much better the average homeschooled individual is than the average public/private school individual is staggering- both personally and intellectually. The tired old adage that public school is important because it teaches kids to socialize is garbage. Why learn to socialize with people who, like you, are not even mature enough to handle it? especially when those peoples dispositions, including yours, will be radically different (for the better) a few years after the fact anyhow.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
The difference in how much better the average homeschooled individual is than the average public/private school individual is staggering- both personally and intellectually. The tired old adage that public school is important because it teaches kids to socialize is garbage. Why learn to socialize with people who, like you, are not even mature enough to handle it? especially when those peoples dispositions, including yours, will be radically different (for the better) a few years after the fact anyhow.

Yes it's staggering. I know a couple homeschooled kids that can barely read. This is all about parenting and how seriously that job is taken.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Yes it's staggering. I know a couple homeschooled kids that can barely read. This is all about parenting and how seriously that job is taken.
I think genetics play a part too. All the homeschooled people I know are highly intelligent unique kind and personable people- and half of them did all of the work themselves without their parents at all.

I want to say that a good many of them did attend formal school until just before puberty. Maybe that's the ideal time to get out and go your own way.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

i think homeschool was a positive experience... i have mixed feelings about the private and public schools i attended... i know that i learned less in them...

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I wouldn't call either group better than the other. They're just different and I think it's up to the parents to decide what kind of education they want their kids to have. Either education can be helpful depending on the individual. Personally, I think that one of the biggest factors influencing what one gets out of an education is what one puts into it. My oldest sister was a national merit scholar, graduated with a 3.85 (though she stopped at an associates and decided to become a novelist) and was an RA in college, but a couple of my younger siblings, sadly, are really struggling in public school (my family has been making some changes lately).

I did like avoiding the cliques and the like, but now I'm slightly oblivious to certain social dynamics. I have good social skills, but I'll have a hard time spotting cliques, and when I first got out into some more "real world" situations, I would view people through rose-colored glasses and got taken advantage of a few times. Live and learn, I guess.

rav3n

Millennials in developed and developing countries are the most educated generation in the history of mankind. The abstract is rarely like the experience. They'll learn when they eventually move out.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was home schooled and I'd say it very much a net plus for me. But I do not recommend home schooling to people because it's totally unpredictable. By nature, it is not even slightly standardized, so everyone gets a different result.