User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ

Default Millenials Need Adulting School

Thoughts? Is he on the mark or far off? Interested in hearing both millenial opinions as well as those from older generations.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

I'm technically not millennial (Gen Z, and cut off by a year according to some), and I didn't watch the video. But I have heard people on Tumblr complain about schools not teaching about about banking, applying and doing jobs, and adulting stuff like that. I disagree since in 5th grade they did teach us how to write checks, but I forgot, and they taught us financial literacy stuff in 9th grade, and I bet the vast majority of people forgot by now (senior now). We forgot these things since they are not needed in everyday life when you are young. I think people should just research things as needed on the internet, so they can quickly apply their skills which should help them remember it. Life is the best teacher imo.
    "Avoid getting too preoccupied thinking about what you’re going to do, to actually do it."
    — Rachel Wolchin

johari
    nohari
    Likes Xann liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

"Adulting school" is supposed to be adolescence, when your parents show you how to behave like a grown up and take on adult responsibilities. Laws are making it harder, but I think too many parents are falling down on the job here.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    "Adulting school" is supposed to be adolescence, when your parents show you how to behave like a grown up and take on adult responsibilities. Laws are making it harder, but I think too many parents are falling down on the job here.
    My parents taught me how to drive, and that's it (during adolescence). Kind of annoying, but on the bright side, it gives me a sense of independence since I had to learn the rest on my own.
    "Avoid getting too preoccupied thinking about what you’re going to do, to actually do it."
    — Rachel Wolchin

johari
    nohari

MBTI
    iNtP
    Enneagram
    954 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ili Ni

Oregon Trail Generation - Wikipedia

i hate all of the millennial sterotypes, complaints, and overall trajectory... i think the oregon trail generation sounds silly, and think the subsection should be called gen y... let the millennial crowd keep their media attention, new label, and expectations to themselves...

that said, i was left to my own devices concerning "how to adult" by my baby boomer parents...
    "The vanity of intelligence is that the intelligent man is often more committed to 'one-upping' his opponent than being truthful. When the idea of intelligence, rather than intelligence itself, becomes a staple, there is no wisdom in it."
    Criss Jami

"When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion."
    "Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving."
    Dale Carnegie
    Likes Xann, Grace liked this post

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

+1 millennial.

I may have been taught some of these skills more than others, but have never conceptualized what knowledge I have in terms of whether or not I was taught, which is just because of a tendency personality-wise to forget the role of interdependence in personal growth (a tendency that also drains the humor out of "adulting" memes for me). I've felt totally responsible for what I'm capable of or not as an adult even though that is not truly realistic, and responsible for the consequences of any knowledge gaps I neglect to fill in.

Parts of "growing up" have involved reaching out for lessons, but I initiated that contact and asked for them because I don't imagine that the teachings will come to me if I don't. Like, once I'm no longer a dependent of my parents, who besides me cares if I learn? Those who don't, just get overlooked. If I don't, no one is going to be there to catch me up, and I'll just be alone not getting jobs or making connections. But obviously I was taught that outlook somewhere, and also taught what an adult in my culture is expected by their peers and elders to know - one does not learn those expectations in a vacuum, and if I did not know them, I would have been unable to recognize a gap in it or desire to fill it in.

All I know for sure is that "adulting" is a nails-on-chalkboard word for me. If it gets added to the dictionary as a verb, I'm going to be super annoyed for about ten minutes and then get over it. That isn't out of being annoyed with entitled millennials at all, though (a stereotype I haven't really seen play out in real life), but because the consequences of not learning or doing all that "adult" maintenance stuff just fail to be a laughing matter to me whatsoever. Debt, unchecked physical ailments, and lack of social support - not funny.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A None

Ahhhhh, a thread on how to get me mad in under .23 seconds.
    "Advance, and never halt, for advancing is perfection. Advance and do not fear the thorns in the path, for they draw only corrupt blood."
    -Kahlil Gibran

What are you waiting for?
    Johari
    Nohari

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    9w8

I was born into that weird sub-category that is a hybrid of both X and millennial traits. I believe Cold Y Generation is the correct term. I always find it difficult to relate completely to either. Maybe if I'd born in 1972 or 1992...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

While I understand people getting mad in this thread - parents are falling down on the job. It's very difficult for society, in general to pick up all the slack, including the slack parents of these kids create by being oblivious AF. These are observation I've made of my own children and their peers and it was so alarming to me as a parent, I was more than happy to intercept it no matter who the kid was.

Do I think middle and high schoolers should be learning about basic life skills? Banking, budgeting, non-delusional sex ed, skills needed for the working world, the value of education and intelligence and critical thinking...yes. Should schools be teaching these things? Yes. In tandem with parents. And if you are an idiot that thinks - we shouldn't interfere/parents should be able to teach children bullshit with impunity/TAXPAYERS!! MY MONEY!! just shut the fuck up because you are also contributing to the problem and continuing to enforce the fact that America does not care about it's people, including it's children.

And I'm going to make this clear. I have seen several millennials on this forum ask questions that should have been answered by parents. The reason is almost always - my parents didn't teach me this. So stop getting mad at me or anyone identifying the problem. It isn't your fault but holding parents accountable for kids unable to cope with the world is something everyone should be doing. Including you.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    While I understand people getting mad in this thread - parents are falling down on the job. It's very difficult for society, in general to pick up all the slack, including the slack parents of these kids create by being oblivious AF. These are observation I've made of my own children and their peers and it was so alarming to me as a parent, I was more than happy to intercept it no matter who the kid was.

Do I think middle and high schoolers should be learning about basic life skills? Banking, budgeting, non-delusional sex ed, skills needed for the working world, the value of education and intelligence and critical thinking...yes. Should schools be teaching these things? Yes. In tandem with parents. And if you are an idiot that thinks - we shouldn't interfere/parents should be able to teach children bullshit with impunity/TAXPAYERS!! MY MONEY!! just shut the fuck up because you are also contributing to the problem and continuing to enforce the fact that America does not care about it's people, including it's children.

And I'm going to make this clear. I have seen several millennials on this forum ask questions that should have been answered by parents. The reason is almost always - my parents didn't teach me this. So stop getting mad at me or anyone identifying the problem. It isn't your fault but holding parents accountable for kids unable to cope with the world is something everyone should be doing. Including you.
    In my experience, if you ask a parent or teacher a question, they ask you to look it up.
    — Rachel Wolchin

johari
    nohari
    Likes Xann, SurrealisticSlumbers liked this post